NP
Posted By
Navarro_Parker
Oct 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had a really great workflow when ImageReady CS2 was available. I’d export my Quicktime movie as an image sequence. ImageReady has a great command where I could import a folder of image sequences and it would automatically build an animated GIF. All I had to do was adjust my color reduction method and then export as an animated GIF.

Unfortunately, it’s rather slow as it was running in Rosetta.

Photoshop CS3 doesn’t seem to have this ability. Not sure about CS4. Is there a current workflow similar to this using current Adobe products? Do I need to buy Fireworks?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EW
ekim_wahs
Oct 2, 2008
Save for Web will export the animated gif.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 3, 2008
I hate to post this… but Fireworks is now the proper tool, not Photoshop. It’s a shame that Adobe removed some of the features from Photoshop that were so helpful in CS2 (Not referring to ANY Imageready functions).
P
PeterK.
Oct 3, 2008
Some formats (ex. png, tif, jpeg) can be opened as image sequences from the Open dialog. From there you can get some of the functionality of Imageready from the Animation palette.
JM
Jonas_M._Rogne
Oct 15, 2008
To work with video files "properly" you will have to use the Extended version.

Anyway, you can import a video as a frame animation (and later export to animated gif) by using import->video frames as layers, and making sure "make frame animation" is checked.

You can open animated GIFs as well for editing (although they have removed the option, it is still supported), but this is in no way convenient if you’re stuck on a Mac (you will have to e.g. link it into a .mov file and this requires a full version of Quicktime pro)

For Windows users:
# Go directly to File – Import – Video Frames to Layers, and go to the folder of your gif file. # In the name field type in *.gif and press return ("enter"). You should now be able to see and select gif files for import.
R
Ram
Oct 15, 2008
No "Windows users" here, Jonas.
NK
Neil_Keller
Oct 15, 2008
Well, to be honest, there are a few Windows users and bi-platform users here.

Neil
RN
Ron_Nehrig
Nov 19, 2008
For Windows users: # Go directly to File – Import – Video Frames to Layers, and go to the >folder of your gif file. # In the name field type in *.gif and press return ("enter"). You >should now be able to see and select gif files for import.

Thanks Very Much Jonas, this worked great!!
I also just discovered that it’s harder to find and use the GIF animation tools in CS4 than it was in previous versions, and it wouldn’t let me import an existing animated GIF with any existing function, except for your File-Import hidden feature which did open the GIF file as an animation. Now will I remember this the next time I need it?
Geeze! Put it back on the menu Adobe!

Ron
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 19, 2008
Windows users are welcome here, as both observers and participants — there are platform-neutral issues that can be discussed just as easily in either forum. No reason to make an issue over this.

But Windows-only problems and solutions are best handled in Photoshop/Win.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 19, 2008
I said I didn’t want to make an issue about this. Let’s move on, please.

Neil
JC
Jean_Chang
Jan 23, 2009
I’m using Photoshop CS4 with Windows. When I try to do this, I don’t have any "Video Frames to Layers" option under import. Am I doing this wrong? When I go to File > Import, the only option is "WIA support".

Thanks,
Jean
JC
Jean_Chang
Jan 23, 2009
Well, I just figured it out for CS4. I have CS4 Extended, so I’m not sure about the non-extended version of CS4.

First, on the toolbar, under WINDOW, make sure "animation" is checked.

Go to FILE > OPEN AS > then navigate to the folder where your gif file is. At the bottom of the OPEN AS window, choose QUICKTIME MOVIE, and load file. If you opened the "animation" window, you’ll see it at the bottom of the screen. At the right on the animation window, click the pull-down menu and choose FLATTEN FRAMES INTO LAYER. Then on the same menu, CONVERT TO FRAME ANIMATION. Then MAKE FRAMES FROM LAYERS. Now you should see the whole animation and you and play it and edit it there.

To save it as an animated gif file, FILE > SAVE FOR WEB and DEVICES. Make sure you check GIF (JPEG is the default). You can preview it there.

Jean
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 23, 2009
Jean,

I’m using Photoshop CS4 with Windows.

While you are more than welcome to hang out here, please be aware that this is the Photoshop/Macintosh forum.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections