J
Posted By
John500
Apr 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just re-installed Elements 2.0 on my iMac. I have tried twice doing a complete install and I get many menu choices dimmed out, not selectable. The Image, Enhance, Layer, Select, Filter, and View menu choices are dimmed and so are most of the menu items under the File Menu and the Edit menu. This is a purchased copy of Elements and I have entered the serial number when I do the install.

This is a re-install and I did not have the problem the first time I installed this. I had to re-install because one one of the users on this computer inadvertently deleted it.

Any ideas what I can try?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 28, 2004
Did you repair permissions before and after the install and delete the preferences files (com.adobe.Photoshop.Elements.plist and the Photoshop Elements preferences folder)?
J
John500
Apr 29, 2004
I now have Elements working fine on my account. When I switch to my daughter’s account (on the same iMac) under the filters menu she only has 6 of the 14 selections.

I deleted the files you noted in her preferences files. I did nothing with repairing permisions as I do not know how that is done.

Any other ideas?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 29, 2004
First try repairing permissions. This is something you really should do before and after all major installations. Go to applications>utilities>disk utility, highlight your drive and click the repair permissions tab. If you have panther you’ll see it right there. In jaguar, it’s on the first aid tab. In 10.1.5 it’s a download from apple. In 9 you can’t do it.
J
John500
Apr 29, 2004
I did the repair permissions. I could see in the log that it was doing quite a lot so this is very good information for future reference. But, I still have the problem of the abbreviated filter menu on one account. On my account I have all the filter menu choices and I just checked one of the other accounts on this same iMac and that one has all the filter menu choices. It is just this one account that does not.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections