AF
Posted By
Alex_Fajerman
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Several users here are getting a "Could not save as "X:\filename.extension" because the disk is full" error when saving a filename of any type (JPG, PSD or whatever) to a drive mapped to our fileserver. The error is bogus because we have at least 1.5TB (terabytes) free on that server and the users have full rights to the folders they’re sharing to. I believe there’s a bug with Elements in regards to it not being able to see drives above a certain disk size. I tested this by saving a PSD to another fileserver with a total of 325GB of disk space and 22GB available, and the file saved fine. However, that exact file would not save to the fileserver with 1.5TB available. It’s also not a hardware issue as this happened across two types of machines with different OSes, different amounts of RAM and such. Is this a known issue and if so, is there a fix?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 26, 2004
Alex,

I think, it’s only a guess, that it could be a problem with Windows itself. I’m not sure. I’ve seen this problem with other applications. Under Windows XP they would not report the same problem that they would under a different version.

Are all your machine running Windows XP ? If not, try to prep one with XP and see if this problem persist.

You’re also entitled to one free tech support call per license, so this might be a good time to make use of it.

Ray
AF
Alex_Fajerman
Apr 26, 2004
The machine that originally exhibited the problem is running Windows 2000, whereas my machine is running XP. I called tech and they asked for a credit card. Urgh. I’m going to research a few things before resorting to calling them again and forking over my CC#.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 27, 2004
Try a search on the Microsoft Website, there might me something similar (and a patch that goes with it). I don’t say for sure it’s a Windows thing, just to look there as well. You might get lucky 🙂

Also, try a search on the Photoshop Forum. I know, this isn’t the same product, but Photoshop is used in more professional sites than PSE is, so you might stumble across a post that deals with your problem.

Ray
SS
Stephanie_Schaefer
Apr 28, 2004
It’s a known issue for Photoshop, prior to CS, when trying to save to a drive with over a terrabyte free. As Elements 2 is built on the same code as Photoshop 7, you’re hitting the same issue. The common workaround is to make partitions smaller than a terrabyte.

In your case, the solution is simpler – have your users save the files locally then copy them to the server. I suggest this as we strongly discourage saving directly to a server from Photoshop (or Elements by extension). There is a faq on this in the Photoshop forum.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections