PM
Posted By
phil_martinez
Sep 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi- I downloaded an ICC profile from an online printer that I want to use in Photoshop CS3 so my images appear properly for their output. I placed it in Library/Adobe /Color/Profiles and restarted Photoshop but it does not show. What am I doing wrong?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Sep 23, 2008
Make sure it’s in the Profiles Folder inside the ColorSync folder. Try restarting your Mac.
PM
phil_martinez
Sep 24, 2008
Hi-I did that Library/Colorsync/Profiles then restarted and it still does not show up. Can there be Windows only profiles??
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 24, 2008
The ICC Profile might be faulty.

Try using ColorSync Utility.app (it’s in:
Applications/Utilities/ColorSync Utility.app )
to repair the profile.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 24, 2008
See if the internal and external names are the same.
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Mike has a very good point. The name of the profile file may not be the same as what shows in the menu or list of profiles.
PM
phil_martinez
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks. I tried the Colorsync Utility App. and it did not show as a problem. Does under info platform:Microsoft mean anything?
PM
phil_martinez
Sep 24, 2008
Also the name is the same as what I downloaded.
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Does the file name have a three-letter extension?

Read posts 4 and 5 again. It’s possible for the profile to be showing up under a different name from what you expect.
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
It could also be corrupted. Try downloading it again.
PM
phil_martinez
Sep 24, 2008
It turns out after contacting the outfit that offers the profile for their production that after it is downloaded it has "one name.ICC" and then after it is put into your ColorSync Profiles folder and you then go to apply it to an image it comes up as a completely "different name.ICC" Now how would anyone know that without being informed of the name change? Hey everyone thank you for the input!
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Phil,

That’s exactly what we’ve been telling you since post #4. :/
PM
phil_martinez
Sep 25, 2008
Ramon look, if it says the downloaded ICC profile is shortrunposters.icc and you place it in the folder listed as such and it appears like that when you look at it in the folder and then when you go to the actual profile list (which happens to be over 100 profiles) and you don’t see shortrunposters.icc where the heck are you supposed to look and what are you supposed to look for?
It turns out it is Xentilcle version3.icc now how would I or anyone else know that? The creator of the profile originally said "you need to go to an Adobe site to find out the problem because it isn’t us", well excuse me I think it was their lack of identification of how the profile shows up.
R
Ram
Sep 25, 2008
Phil,

Yes, they should have given you the internal name (which they did not give you) not just the external file name (which is all they gave you). Their bad, they’re morons.

However, this is extremely common practice in the industry. You need to familiarize yourself with your installed profiles and look for a new one that pops up suddenly.

The Color Sync Utility on your Mac can look inside each profile icc file and reveal the internal name. Learn how to use it, it’s fairly straightforward.

You are going to run into this phenomenon all the time.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 25, 2008
If you had used the ColorSync Utility (as I suggested in Post #3!) and clicked on its "Profiles" tab, you would have been able to see both the Internal (real name) and the External name which is the name that someone — possibly your supplier — may have changed it to.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections