Posted By
Joseph_McLachlan
Sep 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’ve been creating images that I’d like printed at a photo lab. I create the images in Illustrator; Copy and paste into Photoshop; flatten the artwork and save as a jpg @ 300dpi and re-size the artwork to 4×6 (standard photo size)

According to the photo lab there is nothing wrong with this file, however, the machine will not recognize it.

I transfer my file to a USB stick that has been formatted to a MS DOS disk. The file is located on the disk by the Kodak (kphoto machine) and can be read, but it will not open or display it.

I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if I can overcome this "compatibility issue" Photoshop is the industry benchmark for photo editing so I assume it’s a Windows/Mac issue or something I’m doing in the ‘save as’ options.

Any help is always appreciated.

Joe

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RM
Rick McCleary
Sep 16, 2008
Check that the file is:

– RGB. It might be CMYK, and the Kodak probably does not recognize CMYK. Go to Image > Mode and see which one has a check mark next to it.

– 8-bit, not 16-bit.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 16, 2008
I create the images in Illustrator; Copy and paste into Photoshop; flatten the artwork and save as a jpg @ 300dpi and re-size the artwork to 4×6 (standard photo size)

That’s a lot of extra steps. Why don’t you ‘save for web’ directly from Illustrator? ‘Save for web’, whether from Illustrator or Photoshop automatically addresses the issues noted by Rick.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 16, 2008
Joseph,

I assume it’s a Windows/Mac issue or something I’m doing in the ‘save as’ options.

I agree with Rick and Jim. There is no inherent creator-platform reason why your images are not printing.

Neil
JM
Joseph_McLachlan
Sep 17, 2008
Thanks guys,

It was 100% the Mode set to CMYK that was causing all of my grief. I changed it to RGB and presto!! It worked!!

Thanks again for all the comments/feedback. I’m very grateful indeed.

Joseph McLachlan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections