BA
Posted By
bryan_a_roberts
Dec 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know how to make dvd cover? the thing that you slide into the dvd plastic thing. I have the main layout but i dont know how to get spine in right spot. i thought there migh tbe an easy way. i have photoshop cs2 and 7.0
Thanks
Bryan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 19, 2006
* Measure the real thing with a real ruler.

* Measure your Photoshop layout with… erm… Photoshop’s ruler.

….and use the guides.
T
Talker
Dec 20, 2006
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:49:18 -0800,
wrote:

Does anyone know how to make dvd cover? the thing that you slide into the dvd plastic thing. I have the main layout but i dont know how to get spine in right spot. i thought there migh tbe an easy way. i have photoshop cs2 and 7.0
Thanks
Bryan

I make them all the time, both front/inside, and back. What is it that you are trying to make, both or just the front/inside, or back?
If it’s the back cover, then you just measure the size of the back of the jewel case. I just measured one, and it’s close to being
5.45 inches wide by 4.67 inches high. You need to add 1/4 of an inch
(.25 inch) to each side of the width to allow for the spine of the label. That means that the back cover with the spines would be 5.45 inches wide plus .50 inches for the spines, to total 5.95 inches for the width.
What I do is to create a new document that’s 5.45 inches wide, and add my picture/text to that. Once I’ve created that, I resize the canvas and add .25 inch to each side. With this added size, I then add text to the .25 inch on each of the edges. I then fold the .25 inch on the edges so that they will fit the spine of the jewel box.

Talker
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Dec 20, 2006
Are you using the Fellowes Neato cover sheets? If so, there are Photoshop templates (not totally accurate, but a useful starting point) on the website, <http://www.neato.com>. I have put together my own customized templates for PS CS2, which include smart objects and clipping masks. Feel free to download them at < http://www.camsul.com/downloads/MDS-PS-Templates-for-CDs.rar> (it’s a 4+ MB RAR file).
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 20, 2006
Michael,

I could be wrong, but it seems as though he’s asking for the sleeve of the DVD Case. Although, nice little templates.

Bryan,

Usually, companies that make CD packaging have templates in various formats that you can use, and an excellent start is Neato as Michael suggests. That said, I chose Chris’ method and it works well for me.

That is to say, I find out what the size is supposed to be, usually by the specs of the DVD case itself – most have the exact inner and outter dimensions for the inside (insert) and the outside sleeve. Or you can find a company that sells the sleeves and find the dimensions that way.

Then I simply created my guids at the proper points for the spine and voilá, you have a sleeve template.

Peace,
Tony
LG
Lance_Gray
Jan 2, 2007
Here’s a app I created awhile back for doing just what you asked. We have a demo version that will let you test it out, plus some videos that will let you see what it does. It’s basically just a bunch of Droplets with an interface that works with Photoshop 6, 7, CS, and CS2.

< http://www.pixelpops-shop.com/PixelMixer-Download_p_173-157. html>
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 3, 2007
this thread in the lounge repository links to lots of resources & templates:

Phos…., "Resources: Patterns, Brushes, Custom Shapes, etc." #1, 3 Sep 2003 8:39 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
M
M-323
Jan 30, 2007
Guys, this would be great..

What we need, is some sort of templated grid pattern that won’t show up when you’re printing.

Is there anything like that available?

…. or any way to activate a grid pattern within Photoshop CS 2 ?

Best, M/
P
Phosphor
Jan 30, 2007
There are hundreds of DVD/CD insert and disk templates available for free online. All you have to do is get friendly with Google.

These will come in many formats, but your best bet may be to find one in PDF.

Import it or open the template in Photoshop (or better yet, InDesign), add your own images and text, then turn it off or delete it before it goes to print.

"…some sort of templated grid pattern…"

Not really sure what you mean by this. If you’re working only in Photoshop, you can turn on the alignment grid and customize it to your liking. Guidelines can be created as well.

Seriously, though, most folks who do this kind of work only rely on a template to make sure they create their inserts to proper physical dimnensions overall. Any guidelines or alignment grids are best determined on a project-by-project basis.
M
M-323
Jan 30, 2007
Hi thanks for the quick reply.

I did find lots on Google but they were more like the small, square "Jewel case" versions (I think they call them).

I was looking for a jacket cover, as in your typical Blockbuster movie cover. They measure 18 x 27 cm.

As far as the grid is concerned, I was actually more familiar with CorelDRAW — never used grid in Photoshop.

By using the grid I thought it would be easy to just put the pictures in the boxes (created by the grid) and then print.

You are saying use one of the templates on Google as a layer? And then delete that layer before printing?

Thanks for your help.

Best, M/
P
Phosphor
Jan 30, 2007
You know what might be a good exercise for you, to help get you more dialed in to the way Photoshop works?

Create your own template. It may be a somewhat slower process than just grabbing a template made by someone else, but you’ll be rewarded in that from that point on, you’ll know how to do it properly.

Get out a ruler and measure a DVD insert/jacket wrap. Create a new document at 300 ppi resolution and build the template to the physical dimensions you’ll need. Don’t forget to allow for any bleeds, trims and folds. It may take some trial and error, but the effort is worth it.

If you want vector versions of the standard "DVD" icons, have a look at <http://web.brandsoftheworld.com/> and do a search for "DVD"
T
Talker
Jan 31, 2007
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:25:02 -0800, wrote:

Guys, this would be great..

What we need, is some sort of templated grid pattern that won’t show up when you’re printing.
Is there anything like that available?

… or any way to activate a grid pattern within Photoshop CS 2 ?
Best, M/

I have Epson’s Print CD software that came with my Epson R220 printer, and it has a grid function that you turn on and off with a toolbar button, when you’re creating an illustration to print on a CD/DVD You’d think they would have included it to make a jewel box cover, but they didn’t.
Just curious, but would it work if you created a new, transparent document in Photoshop, then scanned a piece of graph paper and using the magic wand tool, selected the gridwork on the paper. Once you’ve selected the grid, copy it to the transparent document, and save it. Then, if you needed a grid, open the document that needs the grid, create a new layer, then import the grid into the new layer. By copying and pasting the gridwork into the new layer, it will automatically paste it centered in the new layer. Once you’re finished with the grid, delete that layer. I’d try this here, but I don’t have any graph paper.

Talker

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections