TB
Posted By
tom_bliss
Sep 10, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop is making junk folders with random letter names in my user prefs – in fact I now find it always has.

An my mac is going slower and slower as a result.

So three hours ago I contact adobe support via this website – but couldn’t send the message to the department I wanted because some drop-down menus on the adobe website wouldn’t open. And one of the ones that did didn’t list my OS platform (10.4.11).

Then two hours later I get an email from saying the case is closed. There are two UK phone numbers listed in this mail and the attachment that came with it – 01 71 23 01 96 and 01662 283 156 – but both are ‘unobtainable / not recognised’ when you dial them.

What is going on?

How to I contact a real person at adobe UK?

Thanks

Tom

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 10, 2008
tom,

Although I certainly understand your frustration, please understand that we’re NOT Adobe in these forums, just users of Adobe products like you. Perhaps another user in the UK can give you better local contact info.

Photoshop is making junk folders with random letter names in my user prefs – in fact I now find it always has.

As for the problem, although you’ve only given your OS, and nothing about the Photoshop version you’re using and the your system environment; and as unlikely as it may be, these symptoms have the earmarks of an infected computer.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 10, 2008
Tom:

Those folders are almost certainly being generated by your scanning software.

They are of no importance, or value, and you can safely trash all of them.
TB
tom_bliss
Sep 15, 2008
Sorry – yes I knew this wasn’t an adobe site – but i thought someone would know the phone number. Holland have since been in touch with a number which I shall ring now. Thanks. Tom
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
tom,

There is a list of UK phone numbers here: <http://www.adobe.com/uk/support/contact> none of which match what you posted.

But Ann may have nailed the problem for you.

Neil
TB
tom_bliss
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks Neil

It turns out that the actual UK support number is 020 7365 0735

And the very nice chap there told me – after going off for 10 minutes to ask around – that CS2 is NOT compatible with Intel macs – something they ‘forgot’ to tell me when they made me pay full price for CS2 two years ago when I explained that I was buying an Intel powerbook and wanted a version to run on it.

As I’d been using Pshop professionally since about 93, I wasn’t very pleased.

To be told today that I now have to shell out for 386 ukp for an upgrade to CS3 is making my blood boils gently.

They still haven’t explained why the (second) email from Customer support contained two unobtainable telephone number, nor why their webpage for reporting technical problems contains two drop-down menus that don’t drop down (including the one where you select to send your message to customer service or tech supp) .

I get the impression this is a company who don’t care about their customers one tiny bit. Am I alone in this?

Tom
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2008
Two years ago when you got CS2, CS3 did not exist.

Sept 23 Adobe will announce CS4 I would wait to upgrade.
TB
tom_bliss
Sep 15, 2008
I know CS3 didn’t exist! But they sold me CS2 specifically for my Intel MacBook Pro – telling me the previous PS was not compatible, but assuring me that CS2 it was. At no point did I get a subsequent letter saying – oops, sorry, we goofed – it’s not compatible after all, here’s some advice on optimisation, or maybe you should go back to using one of your older macs for Photoshop. Oh, and here’s a refund for the software wee sold you that we promised would work on your machine – but actually doesn’t after all.

Thanks for the advice about CS4. I’m asking for a free upgrade. I was quite happy with the original Photoshop, and only ever use those original features. I just want a program that does what it says on the tin without going at 10% speed, and doing daft things like filling my prefs folder with empty folders called "&#8260;&#63743;êÊ ø&#711;&#64257;††~q|êË8è¿ö`ø&#711;&amp ;#64258; " (that’s a paste of an actual name btw – and there are about 500).

Tom
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Am I confused here, or is the CS2 issue with Mac OS X 10.5 — not with an Intel processor running 10.4.x?

I’ve got too much stuff going on at the moment to sort this out. <g>

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
tom,

Thanks for the advice about CS4. I’m asking for a free upgrade.

Don’t hold your breath. But don’t get agita over it either. Wait for CS4 and upgrade then. On the other hand, was your system working correctly for the past two years? What is different now about your system? What was changed/added/deleted just prior to the problem? Did you check out Ann’s recommendation?

Neil
TB
tom_bliss
Sep 15, 2008
Hi Neil

I’ve been running CS2 on this Intel macbook pro (OS10.4+) for two years+. It’s always been really slow and cranky, about 10% of the speed of the previous version (on a Titanium). It often does not quit, and has to be forced, or hangs up and demands a forced restart.

I didn’t notice the junk prefs because i don’t go in there normally. Then last week, when i was trying to sort out a problem with ProTools, I spotted the junk and saw the date they started (the day I installed CS2). I fired up CS2 and it made a junk pref right there. I quit. Fired up again – another junk pref.

My work used to be all TV and Web production – using PShop all the time, but in recent years it’s become 99% music, so I just use PS for posters and web assets and CD covers etc. But it’s still important when i need it.

So nothing changed – I just asked the question because I found the junk prefs.

And when I asked on the phone today i was told that CS2 never in fact worked with Intel macs! Well, that explains all my problems, but not why they sold it to me, or why they now say the only fix is to spend even more good money – when i didn’t get any value last time.

I didn’t check out Ann’s idea because i don’t know what ‘scanning software’ is. I don’t think I have any.

Tom
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2008
CS2 is not native to the Intel chip it must run in Rosetta. CS2 is supported in Tiger on a Mactel but its not native.

I want lots of free stuff that does not mean I’m going to get it.

Best Advice I can give is always do your own research never just listen to one sales guy. Sales guys will say anything to make a sale. You can’t blame Adobe for that.
R
Ram
Sep 15, 2008
Tom,

Ann is correct, and your issue has NOTHING to do with any version of Photoshop. Helemaal niets!

Those junk folders are being created by your scanner, specifically an Epson scanner driver. They are harmless but annoying.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
tom,

It’s always been really slow and cranky

This could be the result of running CS2 under Rosetta. An upgrade should fix that. As for the odd folders, do you have a scanner or its software on your system?

Neil
HR
Hamish_Reid
Sep 15, 2008
And when I asked on the phone today i was told that CS2 never in fact worked with Intel macs! Well, that explains all my problems, but not why they sold it to me, or why they now say the only fix is to spend even more good money – when i didn’t get any value last time.

I’m puzzled by this — like many people I know I’ve been successfully using CS2 on my Intel MacBook Pro for a long while now. It works fine. Sure, it’s not as fast as an Intel-native binary might be, but it gets useful work done in the field; it’s certainly not performing at the 10% level you’re observing, more like 75%.

Are you sure you’re really talking to Adobe support? Or is the UK office completely out of the loop? Or are you misunderstanding what they’re saying? Is it a Leopard compatibility issue?
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Hamish,

The OP stated he was running under Mac OS X 10.4.11 — I initially thought it might be a Leopard issue as well.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Hamish,

My first reaction was that the OP was running CS2 under Leopard. But he stated he was running under Mac OS X 10.4.11. But I don’t think the speed issue has anything to do with the population of folders he’s growing. They can be safely trashed.

Neil
TB
tom_bliss
Sep 15, 2008
Oh THAT kind of scanner (thought Ann meant some sort of firewall) – yes I guess that fits with the PS start-up. How come Adobe support never thought of that? (He told me he was ‘norse’ or ‘nordic’ support – on that number I quoted above).

The first email I was sent by customer services (via their website) said this:

Subject: Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care; your case has been closed.

Dear Tom Bliss

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. Our records indicate your service request 201216974 has been closed. If this request has not been completed to your satisfaction, or should you need to contact us on the particular issue again, please reference this transaction number. You can contact Adobe Customer Care at <http://www.adobe.com/go/uk_supportportal/> or by calling 01 71 23 01 96 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (CET).

In an effort to constantly improve service to our customers, we would be very interested in hearing from you regarding our performance. Would you be so kind to take a few minutes to complete our survey? If so, please click here: < http://adobe-customer-survey.com/survey.cfm?surveycode=5SPCT FJZP&caseno=0201216974>.

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care.

That London number is unobtainable, as is the one in the attachment they sent. This email closed my file before they had even answered my question. So I reopened it, and this time I got an email from Holland (I think) with the number I quoted earlier, which got me to a human being.

But hey – Adobe ‘really care about their customers opinions’ so they put a feedback form on their website so you can tell them how they did. I clicked it – and go a message saying that I may not fill in the form because it had already been filled in by someone (not me)!

Oh and maybe the getting slower thing is because I’ve been getting more and more frustrated with the speed – or maybe it’s the prefs (which is what I was advised by my perosnal mac guru (who is an apple approved consultant – but didn’t know about the Intel CS2 issue). Who knows?!

Thanks for the advice about the scanner, and CS4.

I still think they have the worst customer support access of any company I’ve ever encountered!

Tom
TB
tom_bliss
Sep 15, 2008
Oh THAT kind of scanner (thought Ann meant some sort of firewall) – yes I guess that fits with the PS start-up. How come Adobe support never thought of that? (He told me he was ‘norse’ or ‘nordic’ support – on that number I quoted above).

The first email I was sent by customer services (via their website) said this:

Subject: Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care; your case has been closed.

Dear Tom Bliss

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care. Our records indicate your service request 201216974 has been closed. If this request has not been completed to your satisfaction, or should you need to contact us on the particular issue again, please reference this transaction number. You can contact Adobe Customer Care at <http://www.adobe.com/go/uk_supportportal/> or by calling 01 71 23 01 96 from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM (CET).

In an effort to constantly improve service to our customers, we would be very interested in hearing from you regarding our performance. Would you be so kind to take a few minutes to complete our survey? If so, please click here: < http://adobe-customer-survey.com/survey.cfm?surveycode=5SPCT FJZP&caseno=0201216974>.

Thank you for contacting Adobe Customer Care.

That London number is unobtainable, as is the one in the attachment they sent. This email closed my file before they had even answered my question. So I reopened it, and this time I got an email from Holland (I think) with the number I quoted earlier, which got me to a human being.

But hey – Adobe ‘really care about their customers opinions’ so they put a feedback form on their website so you can tell them how they did. I clicked it – and go a message saying that I may not fill in the form because it had already been filled in by someone (not me)!

Oh and maybe the getting slower thing is because I’ve been getting more and more frustrated with the speed – or maybe it’s the prefs (which is what I was advised by my personal mac guru (who is an apple approved consultant – but didn’t know about the Intel CS2 issue). Who knows?!

Thanks for the advice about the scanner, and CS4.

I still think they have the worst customer support access of any company I’ve ever encountered!

Tom
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 15, 2008
Glad we could help!

Actually, you will usually get better and quicker help here in the Forums than uou will from Tech Support.

And we don’t charge for it either!!

🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Tom,

Also, if you’ve been filling up your hard drive with data, that would slow down Photoshop performance.

Neil
L
Lundberg02
Sep 15, 2008
Ground control to Major Tom: You have never described your system. There are lots of reasons why it would run slow. Not enough RAM, HD full, never run disk repair, etc.
W
W._B._van_de_Weg
Mar 8, 2009
UK tech support – or any support?

How to I contact a real person at adobe UK?

Maybe you could try:

Best wishes,

Zonnetje
R
Ram
Mar 8, 2009
Better late than never, I suppose. The last post before yours in this thread is half a year old. 😉
W
W._B._van_de_Weg
Mar 8, 2009
Sorry, I did not know that, I have just read this topic. But I think maybe it can be helpful currently for other people who are looking for contact too.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections