Primary Scratch & Windows Primary Paging file?

TO
Posted By
Tommy Oberst
Aug 15, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, I accidentally uninstalled Adobe Photoshop the other day. So I re-installed it and now when I click on the Photoshop Icon and it starts to load, half-way through I get a message saying.. "You currently have Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch & Windows primary paging file on the same volume, wich can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set Adobe Photoshop’s primary Scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive." It only gives me the option to press OK so I do and it loads the rest of the way. Then it will automatically close’s. Does anyone understand the information? If you do I would love it if you could help me. If it helps any, I was just hit the other day with the Blaster Worm on Windows 2000 and I keep getting a popup window saying that svchost.exe has a error and needs to close. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

D
DOMTEK
Aug 15, 2003
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12dde.htm>
that’s for scratch disc.
To set the paging file go to: my computer/advanced/performance options/applications..change. Set the paging file so that it is on a seperate drive from the operating system.
TO
Tommy Oberst
Aug 15, 2003
Okay, I have no clue how to fix the svchost problem.. I’ve tried and my brother has even tried to help. I have no clue what caused it.. And what is the os?
KV
Klaas Visser
Aug 15, 2003
The svchost problem is the Blaster worm – your machine is infected and needs to be fixed.

Dave posted a link to the Symantec web site which gives some information to try to remove the virus.

If this is not succesful, you will probably have to re-install the operating system (OS), that is, Windows itself.

cheers
Klaas
TO
Tommy Oberst
Aug 15, 2003
Oh… Okay, Thank you Klaas 🙂
B
Bernie
Aug 15, 2003
Tommy,

I’ve had Blaster – 2 steps are needed.

1. Get rid of the worm, all the AV sites will help.

2. Svchost will still fail, you MUST apply the patch from the MS site. This will stop the svchost.exe failure and all will be back to normal. The patch will also prevent another infection.

Hope you can get into the MS site today…

Best wishes,

David
TO
Tommy Oberst
Aug 16, 2003
Thanks you guys. I really appreciate all the help that your giving me. Although, where do I put the paging file if I only have 1 drive? And I can get the Patch from the Microsoft web page right?
DM
dave milbut
Aug 16, 2003
the paging file will be on the c:\ drive if that’s all you have… once you’re running again get go into photoshop edit> prefrences> plugins and scratch disks and change the scratch disk location from Startup to C:\. That’ll make the message go away.

You can get the patch from windows update, but I’ve heard reports that on win2k it’s not solving the scvhost problem and a full os reinstall is needed to get it all working again.

good luck, dave
DM
dave milbut
Aug 17, 2003
First time posting a link w.the new sw… here goes:

Mathias Vejerslev, "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" #, 1 Nov 2001 2:58 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>

dave
TO
Tommy Oberst
Aug 17, 2003
Thank you sooooo much Dave. I finally got Photoshop to work. Thanks to everyone that helped me out. 😀

-Tommy

PS. Anyone know of some good tutorial sites for Photoshop and ImageReady? I’d really like to know how do expand my abilitys with the program.

Thanks again you guys!!! :goofy:
DM
dave milbut
Aug 17, 2003
start w/ google.

search for tutorial with this format:

"photoshop tutorial something"

replace "something" with something you’re interested in learning, for example: photoshop tutorial pen tool

dave
DM
dave milbut
Aug 19, 2003
you’re welcome. and don’t forget you can come back here if you run into something you’re not sure of or you want more info on.

dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections