Where is Smart Sharpen CS3 Settings folder located on the computer?

KB
Posted By
Kathryn_Bernstein
Aug 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Where is Smart Sharpen CS3 Settings folder located on the computer?

Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen
Settings>Save a Copy of Settings.

I once created and saved many custom settings on my old computer. They would appear in the drop down Setting menu.

My question is, where is the Smart Sharpen Settings folder located on the computer?

I did do a Forum Search Smart Sharpen but results did not yield any info on where custom settings are stored.

Thank you in advance.
Kathryn
Mac OSX version 10.4.11

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
save a new setting and see where the trail leads in the save dialog
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 18, 2008
I tried that, Buko, and couldn’t find a thing. I think they must be saved somewhere in the program package. I even looked there and couldn’t find anything obvious. There’s nothing in preferences. I thing Kathryn is just going to have to recreate and resave those settings.
KB
Kathryn_Bernstein
Aug 21, 2008
Thank you all for your replies.

I was just wondering if anyone else could locate them.
I suspect there is not a folder but those custom settings are buried within the program. I have seen this with InDesign as well.

Bottom line, when you do a fresh install, you must recreate those custom settings all over again.

For now, here is kb’s CS3 Smart Sharpen custom settings Save workaround.

Fortunately, I took the time when creating Advanced custom Smart Sharpen settings. I used Convert to Smart Object and then used CS3 Smart Filter. So by saving my original layered file, I was able to once again open that file and click on each layer and Save settings and rename again.

Pain in the butt but not all was lost.

Guess I will have do again when CS4 is released or until Adobe gives us a folder of stored files to navigate to and load.

I like Filter>Smart Sharpen Filter>Advanced> Sharpen, Shadow, Highlights for building Alpha Channels and Layer Masking.

Kathryn
P
Phosphor
Aug 21, 2008
Kathryn…

I remember this exact subject coming up a year ago or more, and at that time I did some experimentation and some digging. Up until you asked your question, I had forgotten I ferreted this out before.

Back then, I created and saved a Smart Sharpen preset, and I named it drogueflute so I could find it again.

Just this morning, I did the same thing (because I had forgotten that I did it before), and named the preset whelkvines, again, so I could find it easily.

I found references to the two custom settings I saved out of the Smart Sharpen dialogue box. They are buried deep within the code for Photoshop’s settings.

For me (and I’ll generally assume for most users) these are stored in the Preferences folder…../Users/youruseraccountname/Library/Preferences/Ad obe Photoshop CS2 Settings/Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.pspSooooo, if you want to import these presets, you’ll need to find the "Adobe Photoshop [version name Prefs.psp" file on your old computer that contained your custom Smart Sharpen presets and put it in it’s proper place on your new system, replacing your current preferences (.psp) file you’re currently working from.

Be warned that if the Prefs file on your old computer is from an ancient version of Photoshop, it may not work for a newer version on your new system.

Make sure you keep your current Prefs file handy (move it to your desktop, for example) so you can replace it if something breaks in a really bad way. Or, you could just reset ALL of your current Photoshop preferences by following the instructions presented in the FAQ section of this forum.
P
Phosphor
Aug 21, 2008
" save a new setting and see where the trail leads in the save dialog"

Proof positive that you just guessed, Buko, and had no idea about the subject. I HATE it when people do that!

If you knew what you were talking about in this case, or had given it a try, you’d’ve known that the "Save Preset" dialogue doesn’t allow you to navigate your hard drive. It just saves the file where it’s gonna save it. You don’t get to choose where.

(((Unless they’ve added a way to navigate in the Smart Sharpen "Save" dialogue in PS CS3, that is. But I’m guessing nothing’s changed, or mention would have been made of this)))
KB
Kathryn_Bernstein
Aug 21, 2008
Phos±four dots,

Pure Genius.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply.

Cheers, Kathryn
P
Phosphor
Aug 21, 2008
Click thumbnail below for full size image composite which shows:

• Small scanned drawing
• Smart Sharpen dialogue, with presets menu displaying "drogueflute" and "whelkvines" custom presets.
• Screenshot of Photoshop CS2’s "Prefs.psp" file opened in BBEdit, showing the section of that file where the Smart Sharpen custom presets are located.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1062OGHP92PTpbKaUm eAbOwCnqz1>
B
Buko
Aug 21, 2008
can’t say I’ve used that for smart sharpen but it works for other stuff.
KB
Kathryn_Bernstein
Aug 21, 2008
This was a good exercise for me as well Phos±four dots.

When first learning Smart Sharpen way back when, I too tried to locate that folder on the computer. I never could find.
Then after purchasing this new computer and doing a fresh install of CS3, I soon discover all those custom settings of Smart Sharp drop down menu were missing.

You are getting a little too techie on me but I believe in backups.

The good news is I did save a copy of Preferences in another location and had transferred over before the old computer’s HD died.

For now, I will put on wish list for a Smart Sharp preset folder we can navigate to and load. 😉

Thank you once again.

Kathryn
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 21, 2008
Nice sleuthing Phos! I missed that trick completely.
P
Phosphor
Aug 21, 2008
🙂
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 21, 2008
Brilliant work Phos! Looking behind the green curtain.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections