CB
Posted By
Charles_Boehm
Aug 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I shoot RAW plus Normal JPG with my D200 and at times when I’ve missed the exposure then corrected the jpg with Camera RAW, Save, and Done I find when copying to a DVD it is uncorrected!! Can anyone suggest what I may doing incorrectly? I have doubles and triples of the same jpg (all corrected) and I don’t know if I’m to believe what I’ve corrected!

Regards to all,

Charles

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Aug 16, 2008
Camera RAW is non destructive editing so if you don’t supply the side car file it will revert to the original exposure.

and Jpegs are lossy
CB
Charles_Boehm
Aug 17, 2008
Buko

How do I do THAT? One aspect of RAW, it is my understanding, is that it is a form in which you can apply exposure adjustments as if it were in the camera; can’t do that with JPGs. How to apply the side car file, I haven’t a clue. If one saves an adjustment in CR doesn’t that automatically apply the side car file? Is it best for me to make these adjustments to RAW pics in CR then batch process to JPG in PS?

I appreciated your quick response; thanks!

Charles
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2008
Just copy it along with the raw file
CB
Charles_Boehm
Aug 17, 2008
Now wait a minute. You’re asking me to get the exposure right in the first place, or; make a correction in CR then select the associated JPG plus select the adjusted RAW file and copy both to a folder that I will burn to a DVD. Do this with any exposure you want to adjust. May not be as big a deal as I"m making it, but if this is the case, then I’ll need to start rereading about RAW and meta data. Maybe somewhere in The Dam book (Krogh), but I don’t recall, will have info on this. I’ll go to B&N and do some reading on line today. Just started Digital photos last year after 30 years with film, as you can tell, I’m quite weak, but eagar to learn cause I’ll need to teach my daughters.(the blind leading the blind)

Again, a sincere thanks Buko,

Charles
F
Freeagent
Aug 17, 2008
select the associated JPG plus select the adjusted RAW file and copy both to a folder that I will burn to a DVD

Not quite. Buko’s point was that your raw adjustments are saved in a separate .xmp file (also known as sidecar). If your raw image file is called image.nef, there will also be an associated image.xmp carrying all your adjustments. You need to copy both.
CB
Charles_Boehm
Aug 17, 2008
I know the adjustments are kept in the xmp file which are now ‘hidden’ someplace (because they were confusing me) and which I assumed they tagged along with the raw NEF file when it’s moved or modified. Now your asking me to copy the raw image, the xmp file, and the jpg. Now this is crazy! I thought I wanted to go to DNG next, but maybe I’ll dump all photography now! (only kidd’n)

I continue not knowing what to do with these digital images! I don’t know if I’m looking at jpg, a cached file, a preview, or what. Folders and sub-folders that are Orig, Mods, Tiff, and JPG. File naming, and keywording; unbelievable! It’s getting to be a nightmare. Not fun anymore. It is fun working with the images in PS though. What I think I might need is personal contact with someone to talk me through some of these things (don’t we all). I feel I’m almost there, but I’m missing some basics.

I appreciate the help from discussion groups like this and ‘this’ is one of the best, but it seems I spent a good portion of my day typing. I’ll keep at it: That you can bank on!
Regards to all readers,

Charles
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2008
I know the adjustments are kept in the xmp file which are now ‘hidden’ someplace (because they were confusing me) and which I assumed they tagged along with the raw NEF file when it’s moved or modified.

Now you know better. Its time to do some some reading. Maybe hang out in the ACR forum and and learn something.

Now your asking me to copy the raw image, the xmp file, and the jpg.

No just the RAW file and the .xmp. AS far as I’m concerned the Jpeg is completely useless and a waste of space. You do realize that you can save a Jpeg from the RAW file?
RM
Rick McCleary
Aug 17, 2008
Charles –

A question:
Why are you shooting RAW + JPEG?
If you want JPEG’s, your life would become simpler if you shot RAW only, then do the following:

First, make color adjustments –
1) Choose the images you want to adjust in Bridge.
2) Open those images in Camera Raw.
3) Make your raw adjustments.
4) Click "Done" in Camera Raw.

Second, convert to JPEG:
1) In Bridge, select the adjusted images you want to convert to JPEG.
2) Go to Tools > Photoshop > Image Processor
3) Target the folder you want the JPEG’s to be saved in.
4) Make the other necessary choices in the Image Processor dialog.
5) Click "Run."
Done!

Alternatively, after the first step (RAW color adjustments), simply use the DNG Converter to convert all of those files to DNG. Then, in one consolidated file, you’ll have the RAW data, the metadata (including the xmp file), and a full-sized JPEG made using the adjustments stored in the .xmp file. Saving and archiving becomes easy because you only have one file to keep track of. The JPEG can be extracted from the DNG using a cataloging software like Expression Media (formerly iVIew Media Pro.)

As you move into the digital realm, there are a new set of skills and routines you have to learn. It’s frustrating at first because everything is so unfamiliar. But it’s all knowable. The best place to start is with Peter Krogh’s book (The DAM Book.)
CB
Charles_Boehm
Aug 18, 2008
I have found my xmp files. In Bridge: View>Show Hidden Files. How simple is that? Buko, I will try the copy bit you suggest but I would still need the jpg to share with family via email. ??? As an aside, I mailed jpgs to a family member three days ago and she replied saying she did not have Adobe???? Well, I don’t know what she means, but I guess she saw a file icon with the file name and tried to DClk and it would not open. My point is How the devil can I send a decent pic to anyone with a computer (Mac or PC) and have them view it. Maybe send a PDF file??

Rick, thanks for detailed recommendations. I believe I have tried the first part of your suggestion, but I have some new pics in the camera and will attempt to get corrected jpgs (derived from RAW/ACR manipulation) copied to a DVD.

As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I have Krogh’s DAM book and found it useful for file naming and keywording. Not certain it’s working for me. I’d like to include somewhere in a filename maybe or folder a one or two word description. Some of the other recommendations he gives are in another language. It would take some serious study on my part to get through it and he too seems unclear on the utility of DNG. Yes, understandably, he advocates DNG but…

Today I purchased a Kelby book too.

My best to all responders; and readers of this thread.

Charles
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2008
I would still need the jpg to share with family via email. ???

see post 8.
CB
Charles_Boehm
Aug 18, 2008
This is to inform my benevolent responders that I have been successful modifying my RAW images in ACR and subsequently converting to JPEGs using Image Processor. Those JPEGs were then burned to a DVD and opened on two other computers; a Mac and a PC. What happened here I did not expect. All the DVD files needed to be opened using the computers photo viewing software. I guess I expected them to open automatically… maybe into a slide show would have been nice. No matter, I believe all is working fine and my fervent thanks for hanging in there. I have changed my D200 to record only RAW images now. We’ll give a go.

Best,

Charles

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections