ML
Posted By
Marty Landolt
Apr 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to have a printout of all the files, folders and subfolders on my backup DVD’s. I can "print screen" but that doesn’t include the files inside the folders. When I do an "E:dir /s /b" it does list everything on the computer screen but printed out it does not give a complete list. …/b comes up with files starting with C and when I put …/a the files start with B.
I could do each individually but that would take eons.
Marty

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
RobertHJones
Apr 19, 2004
Marty,

You almost had it right. Just a small change and you will have what you want.

You said you issued the command "E:dir /s /b"

If you had used "dir E:\ /s /b > lpt1" that would have sent a complete list directly to your printer.

Better yet, "dir E:\ /s /b C:\windows\temp\filelist.txt" would have created a text file on your c drive in the directory C:\windows\temp called filelist.txt which contained the complete list and you could save it, print it, edit it, etc.

The "/s" tells the dir command to list subdirectories, the "/b" tells it to leave off the headings and just give the names, and the ">" symbol tells it to redirect the output to the location after the symbol instead of the screen. "lpt1" would be a direct attached printer, while "c:\windows\temp\filename.txt" is the fully qualified name of a file to create (the directory structure must already exist).

Bob
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 19, 2004
Ah, an old DOS hound.
Creak 🙂

Mac
R
RobertHJones
Apr 19, 2004
Mac,

Even worse, I used CP/M before there was a DOS. Double Creak… 🙂

Bob

Ah, an old DOS hound.
Creak 🙂
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 19, 2004
Robert J. I have typed in both the "dirE:\/s/b>lpt1" and the "dirE:\/s/b C:\windows\temp\filelist.txt" (without quotes of course). I also checked just the C:\w..\temp\fil….txt and it came up with a list of files and folders. I juggled those around, added a > sign, did an E: dir/s/b … lots of combinations and best I got was the same list with just the file folders … not the pictures inside each folder.
I realize it would help if I understood more of the basics. Your explainations were more than I knew. (Are you sure the "s" isn’t for the word I use when it flops .. ha ha)
Marty
R
RobertHJones
Apr 19, 2004
Marty,

The DIR command only gives you a list of the file and directory names. Since you mentioned trying to use that command, I thought that was what you wanted.

As I reread your post, it now occurs to me that what you want to do might be to print all the images on the cd. If so, the DIR command won’t do it — it only lists names.

Are you wanting to print the images? Have you thought of using the contact sheet feature of Elements? I’ve only had Elements 2.0 so I don’t know if Elements 1.0 has contact sheets or not. But, contact sheets has the ability to scan the whole cd and create thumbnails of each photo. You can control the size of the sheet and print resolution and you can tell it how many rows and columns per sheet. It will also optionally add the file name as a caption.

IRFANVIEW is a popular file viewer (free for home use) that can also make contact sheets. (see www.irfanview.com if interested)

Does this help?

Bob
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 19, 2004
Lou M, I suspected that 4.7 was a bit too much. By removing the one file I was within the proper range of files. It specifically said that particular file and not just the size of the disk (or is it DISC).
I am using Roxio "Easy CD & DVD Creator 6" Yes, my Scanner is on the same strip of USB ports. They are USB 2. There are 2 more USB ports (not on the same strip though) that have my Printer and Tablet on them. Golly, do I have to unplug all those every time I want to use the CD-DVD Creator?
I ran a Data Transfer Rate Test and Audio Extraction Test … will those results help in any way? Under Drive Properties "Audio CD E: the supported Media choices could not be set on DVD+R, it kept going back to CD-R.
Marty
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 19, 2004
Bob J, I only want the LIST of files but want ALL files, folders and the contents of each folder. All the ways I tried to type in what you suggested came back with .. bad file name … or when one did work, it gave me the same list without listing Contents of the folders.
Am I making myself clear. I’m closely nearing the point where even I don’t understand myself! If push comes to shove I might go for small thumbnails and contact sheets hoping that will give me the folders’ guts and gizzards.
Marty
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 19, 2004
Marty, I try to stay away from Win machines whenever I can, but I have noticed a lot of similarities of some functions. I don’t have a DVD I’ve burned to try this one, but see if it works. Insert the DVD in the computer and open all the folders you can. With them open on your desktop, take a screen shot. I know this can be done with a CD, but it might not work with a DVD.
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 19, 2004
Marty,

For a quick, easy, and free way to do what your want tryout a program from Karen’s Power Tool, called Directory Printer.

<http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp>

Dick
LM
Lou_M
Apr 19, 2004
Marty,

Spaces are important. You said that you typed "dirE:\/s/b>lpt1" and "dirE:\/s/b C:\windows\temp\filelist.txt" but try this instead:

dir E:\ /s/b >lpt1

or

dir E:\ /s/b >C:\windows\temp\filelist.txt

(You need spaces between ‘dir’, ‘E:\’, ‘/s/b’, and ‘>lpt1’ or ‘>C:\windows\temp\filelist.txt’)

There’s an example of the difference between the ‘dir’ command and the ‘dir /s/b’ commands here:

<http://homepage.mac.com/dearg/PSElements/MartyDOS.gif>
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 19, 2004
Beth, Nope, it will only open one folder at a time. I somehow can get several open but cascaded so can only copy one at a time. Thanks for trying to help.
Marty
R
RobertHJones
Apr 20, 2004
Marty,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the DIR command should be able to give you a list of all the files on the CD.

The command I listed before should have done the trick. It should look something like this:

dir E:\ /s/b > C:\windows\temp\filelist.txt

Be sure to get things in the correct order and on one line. Several times you’ve mentioned using "E:dir" instead of "dir E:\". That won’t work, you’ll get a message saying it’s not recognized as a command. Also, the "/s" is the part that tells it to go down the directories and list the contents of them. Without that part, it will only list the contents of the current directory which in this case would be the root of drive E — the contents of that are most likely just the names of the directories on the CD. Kind of sounds like what you got.

If you go to the DOS command prompt and type in the line above exactly as given, it should give you the file list you want. If it doesn’t, I’m at a loss to figure out why. If you can use the Windows Explorer to see the file names on the CD, dir will be able to list them. Did you look at the CD and verify that there are files in those directories? I assume so but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I use the dir command frequently and it’s always worked. Just to be sure though, I even tested out that exact command on a cd of my own to make sure nothing strange crept into Windows in regard to listing CDs and it worked fine — I got a complete listing of all the files and directories.

Good luck,
Bob
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 20, 2004
Lou and Bob, Oh my gosh! I just found out I don’t have DOS on Windows XP. It took a long time for me to realize that’s why you were saying … dir E:\ instead of E:\ dir.
So, back to square one. What do I do with only XP? Oh, I’ll go down to the lower level and work on my old computer which has Windows 98 on it. "I’ll think about that tomorrow!"
Marty
LM
Lou_M
Apr 20, 2004
Relax, Marty. "DOS" is still there in Windows XP:

Start–>All Programs–>Accessories–>Command Prompt

will open a DOS (command prompt) window. Or, you can do:

Start–>Run…

and enter "cmd" (without the quotes) and press Enter. This, too, will open a command line window.
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 21, 2004
Robert J… Beth… Dick… Lou M….
Finally! A big thanks to all for giving me so much food for thought. To start with, I know I was not putting the spaces in incorrectly. It’s hard to tell where they are unless an underscore is put in. Another problem was that I had no "dos command" under Accessories.
It often helps to simply "sleep on it" and that I did but can not tell you exactly what I did that made it work today.
The dir E: did not work so I went to the help line’s way. Before today it was listing the files but not printing them completely.
Here is how I managed to do the printouts:

Start > Run > cmd OK
Type E: enter
Type dir_/s/b enter

Let all the files scroll to the end

Click on the small icon at far Left on above Bar
Edit > Select All
Click again on that small icon
Edit > Copy

Bring up Microsoft Word or another program

Edit > Paste

All the files will be copied to MS Word or another program of your choice and can be saved and/or printed.

So, again, I have to say this forum is TOPS !!!!

Marty

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections