How to keep only the letters on a white page?

G
Posted By
giannispass
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, am a wedding photographer and i am trying to remove the white from a scanned page and keep only the black letters. How is it possible to do that?
I am looking to buy a new scanner.
Can you tell me your opinion? I cant go very expensive one. I want to put the scanned page with the letters, into a photo. Looking forward to your reply

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Dec 15, 2006
If you’re looking to do what I think you are, just put it on its own layer and set the blend mode to multiply.

Bob
G
giannispass
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for the reply.
When i do that, the letters are too thin, and because of the other photos are dark, the letters are not so visible.
Is there a way to make the letters appear more bright?
And please, make your suggestion for a good scanner.
Thanks
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 15, 2006
That’s one way. There have been several posts here lately about how to remove the white background in such situations.

Welles Goodrich, "Linework against white – how to Eliminate White???- filter plug-in" #1, 12 Dec 2006 5:38 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

(from the Mac side)

I prefer to Ctrl-click on the Composite (RGB or CMYK ) Channel to make a selection, inverse it and fill with black o a transparent layer. This has certain advantages over Bob’s method which suit my purposes.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 15, 2006
You might consider adding a stroke to the letters to pop them out. It might not work on a white background set to Multiply though.

Is the text long or complicated? There are many advantages to having it as "live " type that can be edited. Input using the Text tool.
G
giannispass
Dec 15, 2006
How i can add a stroke, only to the letters?
If i add a stroke now, it is not going to the letters only, but to the outer of the scanned page. Remember, my text is coming from a scanned page.
Is there a way to add teh effect, only to the letters?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 15, 2006
That is the problem. It is easier if to add a stroke (Layer Style) to only the letters if they are on a transparent layer.

With the letters are on the white background, you can make a selection of the letters (an easy way is to Magic Wand the white backgrouhd and then Inverse, Shift-Ctrl-I) and go to Edit>Stroke and stroke the selection.

Another way to get the selection ois to go to theh Channels palette an d Ctrl-click on the Composite channel and inverse that selection.

Use Select>Transform Selection, make it a few pixels larger and stroke inside. Using this method can be hit or miss depending on the color because your layer is set to Multiply. A white stroke, for instance, will be invisible.

BETTER:::

If you are going to bother to make a selection of the letters you may as well just bring them onto a transparent layer (CTRL-J)where it would be easier to deal with them. Then you can set the Blend to Normal and use a white stroke from Layer>Layer Styles. You might also consider doing an Outer Glow instead of a Stroke.

These are only a couple of solutions. There are others.
B
Bernie
Dec 15, 2006
Take the image of the type, convert it to greyscale and use it as a layer mask for a fill layer (you’ll need to invert it). Then apply a layer effects -> stroke
G
giannispass
Dec 16, 2006
Thanks for the reply.
Cn you explain to me, all the steps to do that in photoshop? Thanks again
B
Bernie
Dec 16, 2006

1) Take the image of the type.

2) Convert it to greyscale

3) Invert it

4) Copy it

5) Go to the image you want to overlay the text on

6) Create a fill layer with whatever colour you want the text to be.

7) By default (at least in CS) the fill layer has a layer mask, select it (in the layers palette) then go to the channels palette and hide all the channels except for the one labelled colour fill mask

8) Paste

9) Again in the channels palette, hide the fill layer’s mask and reveal the other channels

Voilà!
G
giannispass
Dec 16, 2006
Thanks a lot for your reply, i really apreciate.
Everything ok with your reply, but i have a little problem. When i am trying to copy the image, At the edit–copy, the copy command is not visible, so i can not select this command.
Why this happens?
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks
B
Bernie
Dec 16, 2006
Did you select all first?
J
JasonSmith
Dec 17, 2006
Have you tried the "blend if" sliders in layer styles?

Basically make sure your letter layer isnt a background layer(double click), then double click the layer again to bring up layer styles, and slide the top left "blend if" slider to where the white dissapears.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections