How do you find X/Y coordinates and how do you set the reference point?

L
Posted By
LucieL
Aug 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’d like to know how to see the X and Y coordinates of an object on a layer. I have a button on a layer, and as I move the button, I want to see the X/Y coordinates of the top-left corner. When I move the button, nothing is displayed in the Info palette concerning the coordinates: The X and Y fields are empty. The only way I can see the X/Y coordinates changing in the Info palette, is if I run my cursor over the image.

Also, if it is possible to see the coordinates, how do you specify for which reference point you want the information? In Illustrator, you can select an object, look in the Transform palette, and select the x/y reference point you want to see.

This is what the Photoshop help says about coordinates:

When the Line tool, the Pen tool, or Gradient tool is being used, or when a selection is being moved, the Info palette displays the x and y coordinates of your starting position, the change in X (DX), the change in Y (DY), the angle (A), and the length (D) as you drag.

Thanks for any tips.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CB
charles badland
Aug 14, 2008
If you enter Transform (Command+T) you will see X/Y position info based on the top left bounding box corner.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 14, 2008
The ‘top left bounding box corner’ can actually be any side, corner or the center, depending on your settings for the ‘Reference point location’ in the toolbar/menu bar.
CB
charles badland
Aug 14, 2008
Oh, yeah. Good point. I was was just looking at the Info Palette, the XY info there does not change with the reference point. It seems fixed on top left corner.
P
Phosphor
Aug 14, 2008
"…the ‘Reference point location’ in the toolbar/menu bar."

We call that the "Options Bar" where I come from, podnuh!

🙂
CB
charles badland
Aug 14, 2008
For the time being.
My money is on "Control Panel" for CS4.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 14, 2008
Menu bar, options bar, tools, palette, palette well, floating palette, tabbed palette, docking panel, flyout, dropdown, et al can become a bit confusion. <g>

Neil
CB
charles badland
Aug 14, 2008
Add to that, the exact same things go under different names in other Adobe products.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 14, 2008
the exact same things go under different names in other Adobe products.

All part of the story that the Adobe marketeers seem to be unaware of!
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 14, 2008
John,

I’d say, not so much the marketing team; but perhaps a lack this being communicated among the various product development teams.

Neil
L
LucieL
Aug 14, 2008
Thank you all for your replies. I’ve got it now! The help didn’t mention (or at least I didn’t see it) the Options bar (or whatever you prefer to call it 🙂 )or how to change a reference point, so I was only looking at the Info palette.

Thanks again!
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 15, 2008
Neil

I meant that the sales blurb for Adobe Creative Suite products lays emphasis on the advantages of a common UI. There is a degree of similarity in approach but there are plenty of differences too.

(And adding Macromedia products to the mix didn’t make things any better.)
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 15, 2008
John,

I hear you. But the marketing guys glean their info from the results of all the programming teams and then create and sell the sizzle.

And fully integrating Macromedia software into the fold has got to be a bit of a nightmare itself for both. Hey, we’re still waiting for a successful full integration of the two Websites. <g>

Neil
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 15, 2008
I want to laugh but that’s not funny…

Someone like me is victimized everyday by Adobe products that are half baked.
R
Ram
Aug 16, 2008
Neil,

Hey, we’re still waiting for a successful full integration of the two Websites

"Waiting for" it or dreading it?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 16, 2008
<lol> !!

I was being polite.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections