Need help with photoshop templates?? Where can I get this?

KS
Posted By
Kristie_Shrieves
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently purchased Adobe Photoshop after seeing what could be done with the program at a local photographers shop. He told me this is what he uses to do the creative things he does with the photos he takes. What attracted me was the really neat matting/framing he could add to the photos, such as one of my favorite photos he displayed in his studio is a old license plate background/mat/frame on the photo. Adobe has proved to be quite challenging for me and I have not even messed with it very much, but I just assumed these things came with since he said that is what he uses to do these kind of techniques to his photos. I have come to the conclusion that he obtained the templates separately for the Photoshop program, but I have no idea where or what. I have searched, but that is proving fruitless. Can anyone tell me how, what, where he is getting these background templates? He is no longer around to ask in person. He moved away. Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 15, 2006
Photoshop does not ship with many templates such as the one you describe.

There are a lot of tutorials available all over the web (try a search).

For the license plate thing you could use a a real picture of a license plate, make a "hole" in it and paste a group photo into the aperture.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 15, 2006
Most likely compositing skill is what the photographer used. Taking a picture from one source and combining it with another image from another source.

There are many sources for photos and art on the web. The good stuff is usually not free. Actually it can get quite expensive. But you can take pictures yourself or scan objects.

<http://creative.gettyimages.com/source/home/home.aspx> is a major source for images.
DB
Dennis_Brody
Dec 15, 2006
You might have a look at Adobe Studio Exchange— There are quite a few "Frame" custom shapes that are quite easy to use.

<http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?view=sn710>

DB~
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 15, 2006
Here is an example with a baroque wall mirror:

who is that guy?!! he looks lit! 🙂
KS
Kristie_Shrieves
Dec 15, 2006
John,
Like the baroque mirror photo. It was not framed in a actual license plate though, the old beat up license plate was part of the photo itself. I do graphic design so can take a photo of an old plate (if I can find an old plate..his was old datewise and look) and integrate the two, but I know there has to be a template package somewhere that he used because he had alot of different themes he used, stating it was the Adobe program. He knew I did web graphics using PSP, so I would think he would have just said he took outside images and graphed them into one photo which I can do easily with PSP; but who knows, maybe I misunderstood. I just took it that he was saying Adobe offers these elements to be added to photos. The program coming at such a high price, I figured that was because of the unique features and creativity being made simpler. Well shucks.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 15, 2006
google is your friend kristie. there’s lots of free ones and several commercial frames packages for photoshop. google: "photoshop frame templates" or even "photoshop frames license plate"

also check out alien skin’s Splat! for example.
<http://www.alienskin.com/splat/index.html>

not specifically license plates, but you get the idea i hope.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 15, 2006
"The program coming at such a high price, I figured that was because of the unique features and creativity being made simpler."

Photoshop is primarily intended for professionals and has far too many features and can be used in too many situations to be simple. Considering how powerful it is I am amazed at how easy it is to use.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 15, 2006
The program coming at such a high price, I figured that was because of the unique features and creativity being made simpler.

The high price is due to the wide range of professional level features for designers and photographers. It assumes that the users can already design and/or take photographs, so it does not provide buttons or wizards to do things like some consumer-level programs do.

Having said that, there are some nifty "How to"s under the help menu.

You would probably have been better off with Photoshop Elements at one-sixth of the price.

Sorry, no criticism meant. If you have the time, you can work through some of the tutorials on the web and in this forum. There’s no quick route to proficiency.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 15, 2006
There’s no quick route to proficiency.

but there’s plenty of fun to be had on the path! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections