PJ_Breen
Aug 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey guys.

I recently have started having issues with my CS3 on OS X 10.4.11

I have CS3 updated to 10.0.1, and for whatever reason, no matter what tool I have selected, I can’t see it once it enters the work area. If I do a selection, I can see the select tool within that area but still no other tools…

Anyone have any clues at to how to fix this?

The computer is still pretty decently loaded… Dual 2.3 Ghz PowerPC G5 — 1.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM. NVIDIA GeForce 6600 OpenGL card. I have 80% RAM allowed for use by the program. Plenty of HD space open (180 GB) I only have PS, Dreamweaver, and a few other apps open at the same time…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

O
OldBob
Aug 12, 2008
Is your caps lock on?

If not, have you tried deleting prefs?
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 12, 2008
PJ,

I agree with OldBob. Caps lock on is by far the most common reason why cursors appear to "disappear" or appear as small cross-hairs.

Neil
PB
PJ_Breen
Aug 12, 2008
I have tried the caps lock (I saw that in a random other thread), no such luck… I did end up restarting my machine again and they are back (for now)… I have a feeling it is a memory issue which you wouldn’t think with having 1.5 GB of RAM… perhaps I’ll have the company shell out for some more of that…
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2008
I have a feeling it is a memory issue which you wouldn’t think with having
1.5 GB of RAM.

Pfffft! That is very, very little RAM. 🙁

Get at least 4GB for that G5.
PB
PJ_Breen
Aug 12, 2008
I didn’t get a voice in the opinion when they bought them… They just showed up one day and they said "Have fun, here are your new computers"

I think the goal next time is to have them spring for loaded laptops so I don’t have to worry about using my personal machine when I work from home…

Thank you all for your help… I’ll see what I can do about getting more memory out of them.

-PJ
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 12, 2008
PJ,

They just showed up one day and they said "Have fun, here are your new computers"

Bean counters and top decision-makers are all-too-often clueless when it comes to specifying anything beyond general office laptop and desktop machines; and can’t fathom why graphics personnel are so demanding about the hardware (and software) they need to do their work efficiently. Funny — it seems they’ll often accept their IT’s company server and network recommendations without blinking.

Just venting!

But if you need some of your peers to make recommendations for your next system, please ask. Meantime, RAM is just about the cheapest upgrade that will make a meaningful improvement in your system — and work — performance. And if the decision-makers start pointing their fingers at the bare-bones minimum system requirements on the software boxes, we can tell ’em a thing or two.

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections