Posted By
Simon_Zimmer
Dec 14, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.

I have a logo that was originally made in eps format in Illustrator CS2.

I have exported the logo as a .psd so I can use it in photoshop cs2. The problem is that the original color from the eps file changes when it is used in photoshop. Not by a lot, but enough to be noticed. The colors seem darker in photoshop.

Anyone have some tips on exporting files from Illustrator into Photoshop? I realize this is a question for Illustrator people but maybe it is a setting in Photoshop also?

Thanks.

Simon

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AC
Art Campbell
Dec 14, 2006
You may want to check out the color spaces.
EPS is often CMYK, but your PS file may be set to RGB…

Art
SZ
Simon_Zimmer
Dec 14, 2006
You are 100% right. The eps is in CMYK and my PS file is in RGB.

So I should set my PS file to CMYK also? If I want to use the SAME colors from the eps file, how should I export it correctly so I can use it for my website? It would be for a flash application.

Thanks for your quick response.

Simon
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 14, 2006
The web page is going to use RGB and honestly, you’ll be banging your head against a wall trying to get a match only to realize that 99.9% of the monitors out there are uncalibrated and it won’t matter anyway.

Bob
SZ
Simon_Zimmer
Dec 14, 2006
Yeah, banging my head is what I did last night! 🙂

I understand your point about the other monitors but little stuff like that annoys the heck out of me even though it really does not matter.

So no special configuration that I can do in either program to make it look identical?

Have a good day.

Simon
AC
Art Campbell
Dec 14, 2006
First, accept that it may not be possible.

Then, if you want to play with it… I usually open Illustrator files directly in PS, so I’m not sure what you’re doing in the Export step you mentioned. Have you tried to open the source file directly in PS, to see what pops up?

Art
SZ
Simon_Zimmer
Dec 14, 2006
Yeah, I will accept it. Sighhhhh!

I open the logo in Illustrator CS2 which is the program that was used to create it. Then I export it to a .psd file so I can use it in Photoshop. I will try opening the .eps file directly in photoshop and see what happens.

So when I am working in Photoshop I should be in RGB mode since this will be used for a website?

Simon
SZ
Simon_Zimmer
Dec 14, 2006
One more piece of information which may or not help. As I said the logo was created in Illustrator CS2. The logo is made out of vectors so you can make it larger or smaller and it does not lose quality.

If I open the orignal file in PS the logo is VERY small and if I try to scale it larger it looks awful.

Time to work again. 😉

Simon
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 14, 2006
Place it in Photoshop as a smart object.

BTW, there’s really no reason to save it as a PSD. Just save as AI and open that in Photoshop.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Dec 14, 2006
Just imagine how the really uptight web designers who work for Coca-Cola (and their agents) feel about uncalibrated monitors!

Coca-Cola’s brand identity uses a proprietary red hue, and as we all know, that special color is going to look different on almost every monitor.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 15, 2006
Here at Designaholics-Anonymous we hope to control the things that can be controlled, let go of the things that can’t be controlled, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

The members of R.U.W.D. who meet in the room next to our group, vehemently disagree with our philosophy.

In fact, one of their members once attacked one of our members with an Eye-One monitor puck…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections