LG
Posted By
liz goodwin
Aug 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have created several layers – text, background, additional graphic, gradient, etc. I click on the text layer to make it active (paintbrush appears), I click on the screen with the Move tool to move the text. In the meantime, when I click on the screen, my cursor has jumped to the background layer, making it active, and I am now moving my background and not my text. This doesn’t only happen with text – it happens if I want to move an additional graphic on a layer as well. The cursor likes to skip to a background layer. None of the layers are linked or locked. If I click the text layer, make it active and select the Text tool, I’m OK and I can then select the Move tool and move the text. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? This never happened before until 2 days ago, so I think I did something inadvertently.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 14, 2003
Yuo have auto select layer on. Click the box in the top left corner called Auto select layer.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 14, 2003
copy cat copy cat sitting on the door mat.
P
Phosphor
Aug 14, 2003
Liz…

Once you decide whether you want "Auto Select Layer" on or off—and its usefulness can change, depending on your work or a particular project—know this:

You can temporarily enable—or disable—it by holding down the CTRL key when using your Move Tool (V).
DM
dave milbut
Aug 14, 2003
Auto Select works by selecting the layer that holds the content that is directly beneath the 1-pixel "Hot Spot" on your cursor

That’s good to know. Thanks phos. And all this time I thought that option was just there to be annoying! 🙂
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 14, 2003
I like Auto Select, hes my freind 😉
P
Phosphor
Aug 15, 2003
And warm fuzzies were felt all about town…

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself, I just love a happy ending and Liz’s gratitude!!

Patty 🙂
P
Phosphor
Aug 15, 2003
You can temporarily enable—or disable—it by holding down the CTRL key when using your Move Tool (V).

Ooh, good tip, thanks 🙂
P
Phosphor
Aug 15, 2003
(((Mods: Please leave this tiny (5.4 KB) GIF inline…it’s appropriate, and helps greatly in the education I’m trying to provide)))

Just to illustrate the point: Below, you’ll see a screenn shot image taken from ResEdit, a resource editor for Macintosh, and annnotated by me, in red. What you’re looking at is a sort of "close-up" view of how a cursor is put together. Every cursor in Photoshop has a 1-pixel "Hot Spot"; Here, in ResEdit, it’s indicated by the little box with the "X". When you click on your mouse, the action that will be performed, as determined by which tool/cursor you’ve chosen, will be focused on or centered around the cursor’s Hot Spot trigger. I’ve chosen to illustrate this with the Text cursor, because it was one that always sort of confused me. After opening Photoshop in ResEdit about 5 or 6 years ago, and inspecting this cursor, I finally understood where the Hot Spot was on this cursor, and consequently, where the exact insertion point was for text whenever I’d use it. Every cursor has this little Hot Spot, and for the most part, the placement of the Hot Spot is in pretty logical.

For example: On the Lasso, the Hot Spot is the last pixel at the end of the Lasso’s "tail"; On the Magic Wand, it’s at the center of the little "star" at the end of the wand; On the eyedropper, it’s right down at the end of the nozzle.

In the case of the Move Tool, the Hot Spot is right at the point of the delta-shape. Auto Select Layer works when this cursor’s Hot Spot sits directly over top of a Layer’s image content, even it that content itself is only 1 pixel, at 50% or greater opacity.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 15, 2003
very nice. clean and readable. not too fancy but not too plain.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 15, 2003
Used that not so long ago as the base for a neon affect text.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 15, 2003
I got all my fonts with corel, at the price you can pick corel up for nowadays could be worth getting just for the fonts. It does come with nearly every font your going to need. ttf and type1
DM
dave milbut
Aug 15, 2003
corel what?
L
LenHewitt
Aug 15, 2003
Draw
P
Phosphor
Aug 15, 2003
OK, Len, then in that case, (since I’m out beyond 30 minutes) could you please add the text link below the image for those who do access via NNTP? (…In addition to, not instead of)

Since I RARELY visit via newsreader, this hadn’t even occurred to me.

Thanks for sporting me a clue!

:o)
DM
dave milbut
Aug 15, 2003
thanks len.
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 15, 2003
Sorry Dave, think I had just left work then, Yeah corel Draw, You could probably still get draw 4, still comes with as many fonts, and will be dirt cheap, if you can find it 😉

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections