Posted By
cgtway
Aug 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,

My desktop machine, a dual G5 tower, died (motherboard failed). A good time to finally upgrade to a Mac Pro, but now I’m having a problem re-activating my copy of Photoshop CS3 on this new machine. Since I could not de-activate on the dead machine, how do I free up an activation? (the other activation is for my laptop).

Many thanks in advance for any advice,

Chas

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 5, 2008
Assuming that your laptop is PPC based, you might try slapping your tower’s hard drive in a firewire disk enclosure and boot your laptop from that. Then deactivate.

If you explain your situation to Adobe, they should be able to make an exception and reset your activation.
C
cgtway
Aug 5, 2008
Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.

My laptop is Intel-based, so no go there (good idea though).

I did take the drive from my dead machine and slap it into the new desktop machine, and did the whole transfer thing, but that wasn’t enough from an Activation point of view, unfortunately.

Wish me luck with Adobe,

Chas
L
Lundberg02
Aug 5, 2008
That advice was ridiculous. Just call Adobe.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 5, 2008
My first choice would be the easiest and quickest: call Adobe and explain. I’ve had success this way with at least one computer that was just zeroed out and dumped. I mean, what happens if the machine is destroyed (flood, fire, electrical storm, dropping to the floor, etc)? You may have to show proof of purchase.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 6, 2008
You may have to show proof of purchase.

Only if you did not register your software
F
Freeagent
Aug 6, 2008
As long as you’re polite and ask nice they’ll go out of their way to help. I’ve called twice. The first time I started a lengthy explanation that was actually cut short, as in "no need for all that".
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 6, 2008
OR just hack the software and circumvent the registration process. It’s quite easy to crack the Windows version.

;o)
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 6, 2008
When my Powerbook died and I needed to move that copy of CS I just called Adobe, no problem.
GP
Gary_Politzer
Aug 7, 2008
Moving the drive to a new computer won’t work, anyway, because activation is tied to the motherboard, not the hard drive.
B
Buko
Aug 7, 2008
Gary I found out that is not true any more.

Transferring from one HD to another will screw with activation on the same computer.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 7, 2008
As far as I know, activation is tied to its installation on a particular hard drive, not a specific computer.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 8, 2008
Could Activation now be tied to both a particular HD AND a particular computer?

Otherwise people could just install it on a FWD and use it on any computer they felt like at any time.
R
Ram
Aug 8, 2008
people could just install it on a FWD and use it on any computer

Wouldn’t you need a (pirated) "ripped" copy of Photoshop for that?
GP
Gary_Politzer
Aug 8, 2008
Transferring from one HD to another will screw with activation on the same computer.

Buko,

Something has changed, then, since the last time I tried this. I have used Photoshop while booted from clones on the same hardware many times.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 8, 2008
Re: #13

I don’t know — "ripped" software is outside my experience!

8/
R
Ram
Aug 8, 2008
Essentially, the hackers rip out things like Bridge and Shared Components, etc., in order to produce a "portable" cracked copy of Photoshop that fits into a folder of some 60-70MB and can be used from a removable drive like a USB flash drive or a CD-ROM.
O
OldBob
Aug 8, 2008
Could Activation now be tied to both a particular HD AND a particular computer?

I don’t know on a Mac, and I don’t know if Adobe does it anyway, but that certainly is possible on a Windoze machine. My understanding is that it (the software security) reads and records some of the system config data when first initializing, and if it doesn’t match up later. . .

I recently got to spend half a day on the phone with tech support for some of our software after we added a BlueRay drive to a machine. It turned out it WASN’T any sort of driver or software conflict, just the fact that it was there. They had to send me a reactivtion code (Windoze is SO fun!).
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 8, 2008
people could just install it on a FWD and use it on any computer

How would that be an issue? You are still using your license on one computer at a time.

RE: #16…
I doubt that there are any cracked copies of CS on the internet. Adobe makes versions of its software that do not require activation (site licenses). These are typically what get shared online and sold on eBay as they do not require any cracking to work. Adobe has already cracked the software for the pirates while many of the rest of us paying customers deal with activation nonsense. 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections