How do I make a swatch from torn pieces of fabric?

RR
Posted By
Rosa_Romero
Dec 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to make a fabric swatch using 4 pieces of fabric. I have tried to use the blur tool to make the 4 sections blend onto one another, but you can always tell there are 4 pieces there. Also whenever I print my final swatch the image is printed blurry.
I also need to make the pattern of the fabric be smaller and I need the final out put to be 5" by 5". I have photoshop 7 in windows xp. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Dec 13, 2006
Can you post an example of the image?

<http://www.pixentral.com>
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Dec 13, 2006
Scan fabric, use the rectangular marquee to select a perfect square around the fabric without cutting into any pattern contained in the fabric.

Edit>Create Pattern then use either the paint bucket to fill an area with a pattern or Edit>Fill>Pattern…or if you want to scale the pattern create a pattern adjustment layer from the layer’s palette.
JS
John_Slate
Dec 13, 2006
Key word there being "pattern".

You will more than likely see the repeat pattern when filling a larger area this way.

Creating a pattern that will tile seamlessly and not present an obvious repeat is easier said than done.
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 13, 2006
I don’t think Rosa wants a pattern.

To get four pieces to blend into each other, make sure each of the four images is on a separate layer, in the right position related to each other but slightly overlapping.

Then either experiment with blending modes or layer masks.

Save this as a PSD, then flatten the image and resize it to the dimensions you want, cropping if necessary to get the aspect ratio you need, then "Save as" under a new name.
RR
Rosa_Romero
Dec 19, 2006
Hi,

Thanks for trying to help. I posted the image of the fabric I’m trying to work with at pixentral, but I’m not sure I got the correct URL. I titled it bead fabric1

http:/www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1010L3BvnjtSqHck51N AJR3EoOWQP
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 19, 2006
What I said in Post#4 will work for that stuff.

Make separate scans of each piece.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections