Layers: How to stop "copy" from being appended when duplicating layers/folders?

MH
Posted By
Micky_Hulse
Aug 5, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I find this to be one of the most annoying things about Photoshop layers…

For example, when I go to duplicate a folder of layers, every new copied layer appends "copy" to layer name.

I then have to go through and remove "copy" from every newly duplicated layer.

Is it possible to duplicate layers/folders and not have "copy" appear in the layer names?

Thanks!
Micky

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Aug 5, 2008
No
B
Buko
Aug 5, 2008
But if you notice when you dupe a layer a dialog pops up with the name of the layer this is the time to delete the word copy or give it a new name.
MH
Micky_Hulse
Aug 5, 2008
Hey Buko!

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

I normally dupe layers by dragging them onto the layer icon… I do not think that gives me that dialog. 🙁

Also, I usually dupe layer folders, which contain several other layers.

I wish there was a key I could hold down while duplicating that would not append "copy" whilst duplicating.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate your help. 🙂

Have a great day!
Cheers,
Micky
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 5, 2008
If you hold down the Option key as you drag a layer to duplicate it via the new layer icon, the dialog comes up allowing you to easily modify the new layer name.
P
ps1
Aug 5, 2008
OR select the layer you want to copy, hit Command-Option-J (Control-Alt-J on PC) on the keyboard and type in your preferred layer name.
P
Phosphor
Aug 6, 2008
There may be a scripting solution to this. Try the Scripting Forum.
EN
Eugene_Norris
Aug 6, 2008
Tiger and Leopard come with some prewritten scripts, including one for editing file names. Look on the top white menu bar for the scripts icon and open Finder Scripts from the drop-down.

–Gene
B
Buko
Aug 6, 2008
including one for editing file names.

Micky is not referring to file names but layer names.
EN
Eugene_Norris
Aug 7, 2008
Micky is not referring to file names but layer names.

Apologies. I don’t know how layers are stored, and assumed hey were individual files in a Finder folder. Bad assumption, unchecked.
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 7, 2008
If you copy the layer group to a new image, and then copy it back, the layers will not have copy appended to their names. Unless of course they’re "layer 1", 2 and 3 — then they’ll be renamed "layer 4", 5 and 6.

J

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections