Posted By
Little_Studio_Rockridge
Aug 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I occasionally have to resize something quickly for printing and have, in past photoshop editions, have been able to lean on "image resize" (found in the help menu) for this. I can’t find it anywhere in CS3, however. Is it still around? Where is it hiding? I’ve tried resizing larger in the save for web/devices area. I’ve tried simply resizing it in the image size area, but in both cases it just gets really pixelated. Is "image resize" still around?

thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 1, 2008
LSR,

Not sure I’m following you.

Is Image –> Image Size… what you’re looking for?

But, with the exception of reducing the file to 1/3 or more in size, you can’t resize a Web image (i.e., a low resolution Web page image) and have it suitable for print.
LS
Little_Studio_Rockridge
Aug 1, 2008
Hi Neil,

No, it was actually a tool called "image resize" that was found under the help tab. It did some sort of fancy pixel average computing to enlarge images without them getting too blurry or pixelated. There was definitely loss of quality, but much less than what you get in "image size…" I’m trying to go from a 10×10 360ppi image to a 20×20 360ppi… the image is a collage of several photos and a text portion. Therefore, it’s important that I don’t get too pixelated. I’m trying to figure out what to do short of recreating the entire collage.

Thanks,
Kristen
PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 1, 2008
Kristen,

Just choose the Bicubic Smoother option in the Image Size window. That will give you your best uprezzing results. Then maybe a round or two of careful sharpening and you’ll be ready to roll.
LS
Little_Studio_Rockridge
Aug 1, 2008
Thanks Peter-

I’ll give that a shot.

So, I’m not losing my mind… the "image resize" tool isn’t there anymore?

cheers,
Kristen
CB
charles badland
Aug 1, 2008
There has never been an "image resize" tool in Photoshop. You may mean the Crop Tool, which can be used to resize an image.
LS
Little_Studio_Rockridge
Aug 1, 2008
Okay… just because I thought I was losing my mind, I pulled up an old version of Photoshop CS… the thing I’m looking for is called "resize image" (under the help tab) which pulls up the "Resize Image Wizard". It was, as I said, under the help tab below the entry "export transparent image". So, it was there, but it is not there in CS3. Anyone know where it went?

Oh, and I know it’s looked down upon to use this tool, so please don’t lecture me….

thank you.
CB
charles badland
Aug 1, 2008
Hah!
How about that. Never knew that was there. You certainly don’t need it. (silly thing that should not be part of a $700 professional image editing app) Just go Image>Image Size. All you need is there, and more.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 1, 2008
….which pretty much brings us back to post #1. <g>

Neil
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 1, 2008
Wow, I’d never even seen that Resize Image Wizard before! I just went back and found it still existed in PS CS2. It seems to have been dropped in CS3 so you’re going to have to use the Image Size… dialog.
CB
charles badland
Aug 1, 2008
I going to guess a lot of people here have not seen that before. One of the great things about Photoshop.. always something new to learn.
LS
Little_Studio_Rockridge
Aug 1, 2008
yeah, yeah, yeah… silly thing (not tool) though it may have been it sure was convenient. I think someone at Santa Fe workshops reluctantly showed us that wizard in a class, but did so with a whole bunch of warnings about it not being a very good tool (sorry, Charles… I don’t know what the appropriate term to use is). Good or not, it was convenient.

I understand that it’s just as easy to use the image size dialog, but I never learned how to use it well and always just end up with crappy looking enlargements. So, for the *maybe* once a year occasions when I needed a quick, down & dirty enlargement, that wizard did the trick.

Which brings me to my next question…. anyone out there want to enlighten me to the ways of the Image Size dialog? Peter’s suggestion to use the Bicubic smoother was pretty handy. Any other gems I should keep in mind now that the wizard won’t do it for me and I have to actually use my brain?

thanks!
CB
charles badland
Aug 1, 2008
Image Size is THE most important dialog to understand in Photoshop. A good book on Photoshop will cover it. As will, maybe, the Photoshop Help File. Maybe.

It has pixel dimension at top, Print size and resolution in the middle. At the bottom it has Interpolation algorithm choices (CS3 describes them pretty well, choose one of the Bicubic Algorithms)

AND at the bottom left, be VERY aware if Resample is checked or not. (I wish it were unchecked by default)
That lets you change actual pixel dimension. which I guess is what you are looking for.
LS
Little_Studio_Rockridge
Aug 1, 2008
cool, thanks Charles

I’ll play around with it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections