Posted By
forrestmaready
Jul 31, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey Guys-
Has anyone figured out an Action for rasterizing layer styles properly? (no matter how many layers are in the comp)

I’m creating a complex action, part of which needs to include the old "Rasterize Layer Style" trick (create an Empty layer and merge it with the Layer with all the Layer styles trick).

Problem is, when you create an empty layer, it creates it above the styles layer, rather than below (it needs to be below for the merge to work properly). So the merge then keeps the Layer style, rather than getting rid of it. If you record a "move Layer" in the actions, it records absolute layer position, rather than a relative position.

Any ideas? You ROCK!!!!!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
rkny
Jul 31, 2008
One way to do it is to group all your styled layers (CMD G). Then turn the Group into a smart object, then rasterize the smart object. No new blank layer required.

Hope it helps.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 31, 2008
I’ve used an action to rasterize layer styles for some years. It requires a slightly obscure approach.

< http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/FlattenStyles.atn.zip>

Maybe you can figure out how to modify it to work with your larger project.
P
Phosphor
Jul 31, 2008
If you hold down Command while making a new Layer, it will be created UNDER the current Layer. Take it from there.
F
forrestmaready
Jul 31, 2008
Yes!! Ed is the winner!!!! His idea inspired me to look in the Keyboard shortcuts guide, which also showed Alt/Option [ and ] which select the next layer above and below. So you create a layer below, hit Alt- ] to go back up to the original Styles layer, then Merge Down.

F10 is now Rasterize Layer Styles!!!! Yes!!!!

Rock On Ed Hannigan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections