HP
Posted By
Harry_P._Kessler
Jul 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open a folder of photos in CS3 they open in completely random order. Is there some way in which I can persuade them to open in numerical order?
Any help much appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jul 30, 2008
Use Bridge
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
What Buko says, otherwise the images will open in whatever order the capricious OS hands them over to Photoshop. Take the task away from the OS and give it over to Bridge.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 31, 2008
And, of course, you can use Bridge to quickly batch rename your files in numerical sequence.

Neil
HP
Harry_P._Kessler
Jul 31, 2008
Thanks all 3 of you. I don’t know what Bridge is (Photoshop ignorant?) but find, in the File menu, "Close and go to Bridge". A whole new world!!! I wonder if I need to start learning about this or if you can give me instant instructions re opening a folder of photos in numerical order?
HP
Harry_P._Kessler
Jul 31, 2008
Sorted! It wasn’t that difficult after all. Many thanks again for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 31, 2008
Bridge is a pretty good organizer and preview for your files.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 31, 2008
Bridge also does lots of other neat things … including allowing you to: read all pages in PDFs and InDesign documents in its Preview window; view mpg video-clips (and DVDs via Quicktime Player); and drag-and-drop images directly into InDesign.
D
DYP
Aug 10, 2008
If Finder is in column view and you select a list of files and double click on them they open in order in PS.
HP
Harry_P._Kessler
Aug 10, 2008
DYP – thanks for response. However, if I select all files in Finder they open in Preview not PS. If I want to open them in PS I have to drag them to the PS icon when they open in random order. The problem has been solved by using Bridge but I would be interested to know more details of your solution.
D
DYP
Aug 10, 2008
For tif files for example in finder select a tif file and choose command-I opening the file info. Then change Open with to PS and then click on the Change All button. This should work for jpgs or any type file that will open in PS.
HP
Harry_P._Kessler
Aug 10, 2008
DYP – you’re a genius! It might be simple but I never thought of it – nor, apparently, did the other kind people who have tried to help me. Thanks a lot!
Harry
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 10, 2008
Harry,

Glad the folks could help. But in reviewing this topic, aside from your post #9, I did not see where you had previously mentioned having the issue of your images only opening in Preview.

Neinl
HP
Harry_P._Kessler
Aug 10, 2008
Hi Neil,

I never did mention that as an issue. When just clicking on photos they have always opened in Preview and I, (foolish me), thought that was the norm. To open in PS I have always dragged the photo to the PS icon.

Harry
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 10, 2008
Harry,

I was merely responding to your comment in post #11. No problem. Glad everything is working well for you now. <g>

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections