DW
Posted By
dc_walston
Jul 29, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep on getting the message "Could not save ‘XXXX.jpg’ because there is not enough memory (RAM). Try saving without optimization or as a baseline JPEG."

My macpro has 8GB of RAM, of which 3gb is listed as Free in the activity monitor, and the maximum amount is allocated to Photoshop CS3 in its preferences.

I have tried restarting PS, to no effect.

Help please!!!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AW
Allen_Wicks
Jul 29, 2008
Hopefully you have restarted the box, not just PS. Also, how are your hard drives set up, how full and how is scratch assigned? What Mac, OS version, app version, etc. is also necessary info.
L
Lundberg02
Jul 29, 2008
Get iFreeMem.
DW
dc_walston
Aug 12, 2008
I have downloaded iFreeMem. I have just got the message again, but iFreeMem shows 2.3GB of free RAM…
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 12, 2008
Try saving without optimization or as a baseline JPEG

Did you try this suggestion?
DW
dc_walston
Aug 12, 2008
I want to save as a JPEG at quality 11 – I think my machine should be able to handle that?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 12, 2008
Yes, it can handle that, just not as an ‘optimized baseline’ JPG. Read the error message and follow the direction.
L
Lundberg02
Aug 12, 2008
More stupid advice
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 12, 2008
Lundberg…! Let’s continue keeping it civil here. Thanks!

Neil
DW
dc_walston
Aug 12, 2008
sorry, I don’t know how to save as an optimised baseline, or how to save not as one.
DW
dc_walston
Aug 12, 2008
Thank, i will try that.

I think this is missing the point slightly though – the real issue is that PS is having a problem because it thinks it has run out of memory, when in actual fact its has 3gb allocated to it, and the system has 2.3gb free
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 12, 2008
dc,

Have you recently done any routine maintenance on your system (Disk Utility, DiskWarrior)? At worst, it can’t hurt.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 12, 2008
Lundberg, if you have an issue with me, send me a private email to discuss. Carrying a senseless grudge around in these forums helps no one. Your last few posts in response to mine are making you look silly and uncredible. [1 <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b5f3b1/12>] [2 <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b612fd/2>] [3 <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.59b5f81a/6>] Let’s just let this rest in this thread and any future threads you feel motivated to disrupt.

Back on topic, a Google search on the same error message will reveal others like you. Photoshop is simply limited to how large an image can be to be baseline optimized. There is a bit more work that needs to be done by the processor to make an optimized JPG. Whether it is a failing or an intentionally programmed limitation, Photoshop is not going to perform baseline optimized compression on huge images. It does not matter how much RAM you throw at it. (We’re assuming you are using a large image even though you never mentioned the pixel dimensions).

I don’t know how to save as an optimised baseline, or how to save not as one

It seems you are unaware of the differences between baseline standard and baseline optimized so why are you so set on using the one compression method that is giving you problems? Do you absolutely need baseline optimized?
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2008
dc,

when in actual fact its has 3gb allocated to it

Not really. What you have done in preferences is set the MAXIMUM percentage of available memory at any given instant that Photoshop is ALLOWED to use, and that happened to be 3GB at the time you checked. It’s a percentage of available memory AFTER the OS and any other running applications have taken whatever memory they need, and that changes constantly.

It doesn’t mean that ANY memory has been allocated for Photoshop’s exclusive use. So in fact Photoshop may be using less.

With 8GB of RAM, you shouldn’t be having memory issues, unless you have defective, mismatched or improperly seated RAM.

Also, the message may be bogus. You could be running into scratch disk issues and that may confuse Photoshop. Make sure you have designated a separate, dedicated internal HD as your PRIMARY scratch disk, not your boot drive, and that you have plenty of unfragmented drive space on that. I keep a dedicated 160GB internal drive as my primary scratch disk, and I have never run into any RAM issues even though my (older) machine is maxed out at 2GB of RAM.
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2008
Jim [#13] may have a point. What are the pixel dimensions of your image, width x height, and what’s the file size on disk?

You could conceivably be running into the pixel limit in Photoshop, though that would be unusual.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 12, 2008
Also, the message may be bogus.

I found it is not bogus. I was able to recreate it by making an abnormally large image and then trying to save with baseline optimized JPG compression. I got the same error message described.

If dc is working with a smaller web image (say of less than a thousand pixels in width) and is still getting this error, then there would be cause for concern about system setup and maintenance.

Jim [#13] …

Actually, Allen on post #1 first wondered about the size but we have all been in the dark on that.
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2008
I was able to recreate it by making an abnormally large image

How large? (Out of sheer morbid curiosity. I don’t generally deal with JPEGs and I’ve never had trouble saving any PSD or TIFF.)
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 12, 2008
On today’s test, I failed on an image that was 10,000 x 7625 pixels. Scaling down to 9000 x 6863 was successful with the baseline optimized compression. This was on a white/blank/noiseless image with no layers.

I’ve noticed this problem on various releases of Photoshop on various systems/configurations. YMMV.

I don’t know if this is tied to the system specs or if Photoshop has a hard limit on how large it can save a baseline optimized JPG image.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 12, 2008
dc-

Please respond to Post #1. Everyone is hypothesizing without you having provided basic troubleshooting info to us.
DW
David_Walston
Aug 12, 2008
sorry, missed that one somehow.

Image is about 4000×3000, filesize on disk is between 3-10mb

Scratch disk is a 74gb raptor, not used for anything else

Mac is 8 core 3ghz version 1 mac pro, running 10.5.4. Not sure of PS version, not on that computer at the moment.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 12, 2008
Double check PS memory allocation (try setting to 75% just to see what happens) and also erase the scratch drive and reset the scratch allocation.
DW
David_Walston
Aug 12, 2008
ive done all that with the scratch disk, i have also adjusted the alocation down to 90% this afternoon, so I will see how that pans out.
B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
If its CS2 it could be a Rosseta Leopard problem.
DW
dc_walston
Aug 13, 2008
no it’s CS3, thought you needed a more specific version than that. it’s 10.0.1
L
Lundberg02
Aug 14, 2008
Are we done talking about what ISN’T the problem?

It’s probably something like having Maximize Compatibility turned on.
R
Ram
Aug 14, 2008
It’s probably something like having Maximize Compatibility turned on.

On a JPEG??? Highly unlikely. 😉
B
Buko
Aug 14, 2008
no it’s CS3, thought you needed a more specific version than that.

Well in the instance of CS2 or CS3 specific version is not necessary as the difference is native to intel and running in Rosetta (emulation) which will give you some grief
DW
dc_walston
Aug 20, 2008
OK – it is still happening. According to iFreemem the system has 1.8gb of free ram
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 20, 2008
Is it happening on standard baseline images? For what reason do you need ‘optimized’? Are you familiar with the differences between these type of JPG compressions?

sorry, I don’t know how to save as an optimised baseline, or how to save not as one

We get the impression that it does not matter what type of JPG you want to save. So why not save as a standard JPG?
DW
dc_walston
Aug 20, 2008
you are correct in your assumptions. My concern is more the fact that when this error come sup, it is after the whole of photoshop has started running very slowly, something which only a restart of the machine fixes. For this reason, I assume that PS really is somehow running short of memory, which given the circumstances I am sure you would agree is not normal. I didn’t pay this much for a machine and software to have it running this slow and for it to need rebooting!
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 20, 2008
Certainly you can refresh Photoshop preferences (see forum FAQ) and run an app like Onyx < http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/ onyx.html> to clean up the system but if basic maintenance does not help, the immediate solution, as noted in the error message, seems to be your best option.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 21, 2008
…it is after the whole of photoshop has started running very slowly, something which only a restart of the machine fixes. …I didn’t pay this much for a machine and software to have it running this slow and for it to need rebooting!

Clearly this is atypical PSCS3/Mac Pro behavior. There is a problem with individual setup. Try removing all but System fonts and operating in a new user mode. Please provide drives info as requested, not just scratch info.
JM
Jonas_M._Rogne
Oct 15, 2008
It’s not that your system is out of memory, it just isn’t enough to save your current image (i assume it is huge) as anything but "baseline" JPG.
MB
Michael_Bailey
Oct 19, 2008
Hi,
I see in message #22 that David mentions adjusting the memory allocation DOWN to 90%. (At least, I assume the allocation he’s talking about is RAM.) Isn’t that still a very high figure?
MB
R
Ram
Oct 19, 2008
Michael,

David also said he has 8 GB of RAM. With that much RAM you can safely allow Photoshop to use 95% or even more of available memory. Photoshop will not use any more than the approximate 3 GB it can use in any event.

Remember it is NOT a memory allocation, you’re simply allowing Photoshop to use up to a certain percentage of the memory that is available at any given time, you’re NOT setting aside any amount of RAM for Photoshop, merely setting a limit as to what available memory Photoshop can grab at any given moment after the OS and any other running applications and processes have taken what they need. The figure changes continuously.
DW
David_Walston
Oct 22, 2008
touch wood, since I adjusted the % to 90 I have not had the error come up.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections