Smart object as alpha mask, is it possible?

M
Posted By
mikebuelterman
Dec 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use alpha masks allot and allot of times I use the same mask on different layers. What I’d like to do is use a smart object in the alpha mask that why when I update the smart object it updates all the layers that use that particular alpha masks.
Is this impossible or am I just over looking something?

Thanks for the help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Dec 8, 2006
Don’t know about the Smart Objects (I use CS) but have you tried working with clipping masks?
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 8, 2006
What I’d like to do is use a smart object in the alpha mask that why when I update the smart object it updates all the layers that use that particular alpha masks.

If I read that right, a smart object wouldn’t solve that problem. First of all, smart object, like masks are doucment specific. Granted it’s easier to drag a smart object from image to image than to drag a mask, but there’s a workaround for that as well.

Secondly, I don’t see how updating a smart object is any quicker or easier than updating a mask.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections