GT
Posted By
Gordon_T_Jackson
Dec 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not one but many eps files sent to me by others cannot be parsed. Can I relaod or update the parser module if it’s broken?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 8, 2006
As far as I know, Photoshop is not great with EPS files – generally they are flattened when they are opened, so none of the editable, scaleable content is preserved anyway. So it may be that the format you are receiving them in is either more robustly compliant from a specifications standpoint than photoshop (doubtful), or contains additional features that aren’t included in the official specification, thereby causing Photoshop to deliver that error message.

That’s largely a guess.

There’s a program called IrfanView that is free and is a highly recommended file viewing program. You might try downloading it to see if your images will open in that. Not that you can edit them there, but perhaps convert them to another format so that you can open them in PS, if you so desire.

It can be found at:

<http://www.irfanview.com/>
GT
Gordon_T_Jackson
Dec 8, 2006
Many thanks for your reply. I have down loaded the application you suggested and will give it a try.

I was much relieved to create a test .eps file in AI and successfully parse it with PS CS, so I suspect there is something unusual about these files I have been receiving lately. I will go back and have a look at them with irfan.

Again, thank you.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 8, 2006
Photoshop should be good with EPS files – as long as they are valid EPS.

The biggest problems we see are with EPS files from older, buggy applications, and Quark.
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 8, 2006
Photoshop should be good with EPS files – as long as they are valid EPS.

I meant to suggest that EPS characteristics aren’t preserved for any EPS files *I’ve* opened in PS. They become raster.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 8, 2006
Tony – yes, unless you place them as a smart object.

But Photoshop should be able to rasterize any valid EPS file.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections