MN
Posted By
MICHELLE_NASBY
Dec 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A client sent me a pic of her dog that she wants to be on her christmas card. Problem is the dog’s eyes are GREEN. I have tried everything but can’t get anything I do to look good. Please help!

Thanks much in advance!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DR
Donald_Reese
Dec 6, 2006
Maybe you could select the eye and use hue/sat- greens,and reduce the saturation,or change the hue entirely. replace color should help as well.
MN
MICHELLE_NASBY
Dec 6, 2006
I’ll try that. Thanks!
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Dec 6, 2006
Change the colour to red and use an automatic redeye filter 🙂
D
dragonfly888
Dec 6, 2006
Try this…
http://www.michielsen.info/photoshop/greeneye/index.htm

or

Photoshop How-To: Five Ways to Reduce Red-Eye
Photoshop CS2 has a dedicated tool to reduce red eye, but it may not fit with the way you work, or you may use an earlier version of the application. That’s why Pete Bauer gives you many techniques for removing red (and green!) eye from your photos.
http://www.creativepro.com/story/howto/23970.html

wrote:
A client sent me a pic of her dog that she wants to be on her christmas card. Problem is the dog’s eyes are GREEN. I have tried everything but can’t get anything I do to look good. Please help!

Thanks much in advance!
T
Talker
Dec 6, 2006
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:47:14 -0800,
wrote:

Thanks much in advance!

I borrowed one of the pictures on one of the websites that dragonfly mentioned, and after doing a quick green eye correction, posted it here.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=13r8RgqOtQ2SRaWBig y9SZisJ6ZQE1

As the others have suggested, there are numerous ways to remove that green eye, and no one method is the best method.
The way I corrected that picture was fairly simple…..Open the image, then create a new layer and call it Green. Using the Elliptical Marquee tool, make a circular outline around the green part of the eye….make sure to keep the outline just outside of the green eye color. Now, hold down the shift key and do the same for the other eye. (Holding down the shift key allows you to circle both eyes at the same time.)
Now, copy the two eyes into the layer you created (the Green layer). Now in order to work on just the eyes in the layer that you just pasted them into, it helps if you turn off the background layer (click on the little eye in the layers palette) so you can see what you’re doing.
Now, with the Green layer highlighted, use the magic wand tool (set it to 2) to select the the background of the layer. You could select each eye, but that would take longer, so just select the background.
Once it’s selected, go up to Select, and click on Inverse. This will select just the eyes. Now, set your foreground color to black, then go to Edit…then Fill and fill the eyes with the foreground color, black.
Turn on the background so you can see the dog with the black eyes.
Once you do this, the eyes look almost normal, but there is still something missing. With the Green layer still highlighted, use the Eraser tool to erase a few pixels in the center of the eye. Set the brush to a small size, maybe 3 or 4. This will allow the green to show through, giving the look of a slight reflection from the flash. That’s it. Sorry if my explanation goes into too much detail. You may know how to do most of the operations, and didn’t need me to describe at such a basic level. I do this because I never know how well the other person knows PhotoShop, so I try to make it very basic.

Talker
JC
John_Calloway
Dec 10, 2006
I had the same problem with pics of our new puppy. What I did to get reasonably good results was to use the clone tool to reduce the area of "green" eye (it was white with my dog). Since the dog’s irises are dark brown (almost black), and, since the red-eye effect was white, I allowed a dot of the "red" eye to remain. It now looks like the normal reflection that give eyes their "glint."

If I zoom in, the pic looks doctored, but, at normal viewing size, it looks quite normal.

The color replacement tool has never worked according to the directions in CS Help. The replacement color is always a shade of grey rather than black. I overcome this by burning the area of the red-dye with the burn tool until it is acceptably dark.

Good luck.
Hope this helps. I am by no means an expert.

JC
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 11, 2006
Learning to use the basic tools helps when you get the difficult cases: like rabbits, who can show a gradient in color from bottom to top of the eye.
MN
MICHELLE_NASBY
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks so much for your help! I did what you said and it worked! Like you said, if you zoom in it does look doctored but as long as the pic isn’t blown up too much, it’s fine.

Thanks again for your help and have a great Holiday!

M

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections