DK
Posted By
Darren_Kurre
Jul 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have 6 GB Ram and a 500GB dedicated scratch disk and this happens to me constantly… It is so annoying and almost renders PS useless at times… SOOOO ANNOYING!!!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jul 15, 2008
this can last from between 10secs to several minutes.

How many other apps do you have open?

Where is your scratch disk?
L
Lundberg02
Jul 15, 2008
Will you please get iFreeMem, so that you know what you’re talking about?
D
davidalewis
Oct 10, 2008
Scott… nope… seeing this on a brand new 24" iMac that came with 10.5 installed. Nothing in the scratch disk. Nothing to purge. Tons of RAM. Nothing else running. No "Upgrade" installs other than the small point upgrades (i.e… from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5). Saves perfectly fine one second. Stalls the next.

It’s not about agreeing to disagree. It’s a bug.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 10, 2008
Did you install the 10.5.5 Upgrade using Software Upgrade — instead of downloading the COMBO Updater from Apple to your Desktop and installing it from there?

And did you Repair Permissions both before and after doing the Upgrade?
B
Buko
Oct 10, 2008
Saves perfectly fine one second. Stalls the next.

Then its a bug caused by Leopard, because I’ve never seen it. I still use Tiger.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Oct 10, 2008
If any of you dance over to the Windows Photoshop forum or search Google for this topic, you will see the same issue pop up regardless of platform or the particular version of operating system.

Here’s an issue < https://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/19950 -photoshop-save-web-slow-mac.html> that goes back to 2002 (prior to Tiger and Leopard).
CJ
Chris_Jennings
Jan 12, 2009
I’ve had the same problem for several years across multiple computers and versions of the CS suite and OS X. It’s always the same. I save for web. Photoshop does it fine and then hangs for a random amount of time before "waking up". sometimes it’s seconds sometimes it’s many, many minutes. and if i force quit Photoshop it’s still "hung up" for as long as it would have taken to "wake up". There is some deep, long standing problem here that goes beyond OS or CS version. i’m sick of it.

(PS i’m writing this while "Photoshop (not responding)".
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 12, 2009
I also use Tiger with CS4 and have never encountered this problem.

Do those that have experienced the problem all use a separate dedicated internal HD for Scratch?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections