LL
Posted By
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve recently swapped from Windows to Mac and I’m glad to be on Mac now. But whenever I’m changing brush sizes using the bracket keys the response time is way to slow.. I search the forum but found nothing on this. anyone have a fix for this..

Running Leopard with OS 10.5.4 three internal harddrives and 10 gigs ram.

All updates and patches were installed prior to photoshop. Machine is one week old.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 14, 2008
Do you run maintenance software such as Cocktail?
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 15, 2008
Hi Ken,

Other than the nightly script maintenance that the machine has been performing on it’s own I don’t run any software. I wouldn’t think there would be any need considering it’s only a week old.
R
Ram
Jul 15, 2008
Does your machine sleep at night? If so, the cron scripts do not run.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 15, 2008
Hi Lance,

I’m using an older MacPro which is comparable to your system (OS 10.5.4 similar RAM etc.). The bracket keys work instantly, well without perceptible delay anyway until the brushes get upwards of 1000px. Then there starts to be a tiny hesitation, maybe 1/10 of a second. If I found myself in your position, I’d experiment with removing or zipping a preference file called Brushes.psp and see if that made a difference.

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings/Brushes.psp

If it didn’t, I just put it back and try the ToolPresets.psp. After that I’m out of guesses. This has not been a common problem with PS and Leopard although there are a few others.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 15, 2008
Ramon I appreciate the headsup on that one but I have my computer wakeup at 3:00am to do that specific thing. I’ve checked this week on terminal and the daily has run every night at 3:15am the the weekly has run once this week.

Welles I looked your name up in the dictionary and it said: Genius Give that man a Cigar…

I’ve been so overwhelmed this week with the fact that this is my first mac ever I never thought about the dang preference files..

Didn’t have a brushes.psp file anywhere in there but I did have a Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file. I just put the ~ in front to cancel it out and opened photoshop again, BAM no more brush size problems using the bracket keys.. I can now go to bed and sleep.

Lance
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 15, 2008
Lance,

I’m glad you got it solved. My suggestion was in the ballpark but you solved it. One thing more. I’d go back and see if there wasn’t a new Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp file generated. There should have been. If so, trash the tilde modified one. I suspect, though, you are way ahead of me.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 15, 2008
Another glitch found it seems.

Setting a new preference file fixed the overall problem when trying to increase and decrease brush size using the bracket keys.

But when I make the info palette active and attempt to increase and decrease brush size it starts to hangup again. Now I’m puzzled!!
I haven’t installed anything other than noiseware as far as plugins goes. No new font installation either.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 15, 2008
Lance,

I’m out of guesses but I did wonder if you actually meant the Info palette or the Brush Preset picker in the Options Bar?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2008
How many Brushes do you currently have loaded?

And are any of them Custom ones that you either created yourself or acquired on line?

From the Brushes Palette’s fly-out menu, save any Custom brushes in you current load; then hit "Reset Brushes".

Try running with the minimal Default set and then add others in gradually so that you can test them.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 15, 2008
The actually info palette. Next too the navagiation menu top right. I use the info palette often reading cymk numbers from the eyedropper tool.

It may be time to remove completely and then re-install everything.

The one thing that did piss me off in the whole swap from windows to mac was receiving a brand new CD from adobe last week. As soon as i opened photoshop it had to download 600 megs worth of updates.
WHAT THA PHUCK!!! Execuse my language but why waste my time doing this when you could have just sent me an email with a serial number and a link to the latest software and saved me the time of having to download and reinstall the entire software twice.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2008
The Windows and Mac versions are entirely different applications.

If you have tried to copy parts of your Windows version onto your Mac, that may explain why you are having problems.

The same thing applies to some fonts.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 15, 2008
Hi Ann,

I actually did a cross platform swap. So the install I did was the original mac version (clean install.) Then I installed the nosieware plugin I use that was also the mac version. I haven’t installed any of my custom actions I’ve written or any custom fonts. I have two custom scripts that I use that are working perfectly. Other than that it was just install from the CD. Then as I pointed out earlier download the entire newer version that they should have supplied in the first place and do a install over the brand new CD they just sent.

I think it’s time for a re-install..
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2008
Try removing that Nosieware plug-in because it may not be compatible with Leopard.

The same thing may apply to other third-party software and Drivers that you have.
B
Buko
Jul 16, 2008
the 3.3 upgrade is FireWorks and Acrobat 9 those two apps would have been on a separate disk anyway.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 16, 2008
I completely remove Photoshop and did a clean install. Before changing anything I opened an image and tried increasing and decreasing my brush size using the bracket keys and everything was fine. The brush changes as soon as you hit the bracket key.

But as soon as you highlight the info palette top right corner and make it active then come back over the picture and try changing the brush size I’m getting a one second delay. If I hit the bracket key three times quickly the brush completely disapears and then reapears at the appropriate size.

This is a clean install with no plugins, no new fonts, no new nothing. I then downloaded the latest upgrades.. Reset disk permission, ran the chron scripts and I’m getting the exact same reaction from photoshop when attempting to change brush size with the bracket keys.

Can anybody else reproduce this buy highlighting the info palette??

I called a buddy who also recently purchased a new Mac Pro and his machine is doing the exact same thing.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 16, 2008
Hi again Lance,

Sounds like you’re on the track of a bug but I can’t figure out how to try and replicate it. How can you ‘highlight’ the info palette. I have my palettes set up to auto collapse and wondered if that was the issue but changed the prefs to ‘normal’ use and still don’t understand what you mean by highlighting the info palette. So I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. Here’s the Info Palette I’m referring to…

<http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/info.gif>

Part of my problem is that I just can’t see what the info palette has to do with anything when you are setting up or using brushes.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 16, 2008
Welles here are some screen shots of the navigation, histogram, and info palettes I’m referring too.

By default when running photoshop the navigation menu is what is active. When I resize brushes using the bracket keys and this is active everything works perfect. <http://www.lancelenoir.com/download/navigator.jpg>

If I click on the histogram palette next to navigation like below image and resize brushes everything works perfectly.
<http://www.lancelenoir.com/download/histogram.jpg>

But as soon as I make the info palette active and try to resize with bracket keys I start getting delays and the brush stops resizing properly.
<http://www.lancelenoir.com/download/info.jpg>

Maybe somebody from Adobe is actually reading this also, and able to recreate the issue.

Thanks
Lance
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 16, 2008
Interesting. At least I know were discussing the same general concept but I can’t replicate the issue you have discovered. I believe you are using the Default palette arrangement? Here’s how I have mine set up at the extreme right of a 30" monitor with auto-collapse turned on in preferences. When I wish to watch a palette during an action, I just drag it out of the stack to make it persistent and then put it back.

<http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/Palettes.gif>

With this arrangement I couldn’t repeat the brush cursor delay. I also turned off auto-collapse… no change in bracket key/brush resize action. Finally I reset to the Default Workspace and still wasn’t able to get any significant delay.
B
Buko
Jul 16, 2008
I don’t see this on my G5 running 10.4.11 I’ll have to switch over to Leopard and test it. I must say that my info pallet is always open. As I have all my pallets on my second monitor.
JF
john_findley
Jul 16, 2008
MacPro 2×2.66
5GB RAM
3 Internal HDs
OS 10.5.4

Bracket>Brush size virtually instantaneous, here.

(and no other perceived PSCS3 probs with Leopard, so far)
BW
Bjoern_Wirtz
Jul 23, 2008
Hi all, am using PS CS 2 and i’ve got the exact same problem that Lance has and it’s really pretty annoying. I always thought that this slow change was usual until i got my new MacPro Dual Quad 2,8 GHz with an ATI 256mb Card a few days ago. But nothing changed, it is as slow as on my old PowerMac G5 with Tiger. At work i am working with a rather old Windows XP PC with some 128mb graphics card and PS CS 2 and changing the brush size works as smooth as it can be.
So what is going on here? I have tried Welles tip to delete the Brushes.psp or toolpresets.psp but i have not even had the same behaviour that Lance has experienced. From the start of the program, without the info palette visible, changing brush sizes was as slow as ever.
I am really hoping that there is some kind of solution to this problem.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 24, 2008
Bjoern it is an actually issue that seems to be happening with every new Mac Pro that is being released. I have four friends that have received there Mac Pros over the past week and everyone of them have the exact same issue.

I went by my local Mac store this past Sat. where they had someone putting on a seminar and showing photoshop. I walked in asked him to make the info palette active so he could see his R G B numbers as he moved the cursor around the screen. Then asked him to increase and decrease the brush size using the bracket keys and it was hanging and performing slowly. If the Navigator or History palette is active no problems at all it’s instant.

This is a problem between Mac OS X and CS3 I think. It’s happening on both the ATI and nVidia cards.

And you are correct I wish they would look into this because it’s annoying as crap.

Lance
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 24, 2008
Lance,

I would then suggest that you file a bug report with Adobe.

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2008
If its happening on the new Mac Pros I would complain to Apple as well.
BW
Bjoern_Wirtz
Jul 24, 2008
Well, the thing is that it is not only happening on the MacPros because i have experienced this behaviour with my PowerMac G5, too. And unfortunately in my case, hiding the info palette does not improve the brush sizing performance at all.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 24, 2008
I suspect that the problem can be tied to the fact that you are running Photoshop under Leopard because brush changing seems to be instantaneous under Tiger (OSX 10.4.11)

You will probably have to wait for CS4 before the situation improves.
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2008
What Ann said.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 24, 2008
I’ve already filied a report with both Adobe and Mac. But like Ann said they could care less and it won’t be fixed until CS4.
BW
Bjoern_Wirtz
Jul 24, 2008
I think it can’t be tied to the Leopard-Photoshop combination because, as i said, a few days ago i was running Photoshop under Tiger on a Power Mac G5 and had the same problem.
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2008
Well I’ve never seen the problem and I’m running CS3 on a G5 with Tiger, and I use the braket keys all the time. Maybe its caused by some 3rd party hack or plugin
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 24, 2008
My experience is the same as Buko’s.

Are either of you using third-party or wireless keyboards or mice or trackballs?
JF
john_findley
Jul 24, 2008
If it were only a Leopard-Photoshop problem, I should be seeing it and I’m not.
LL
Lance_Lenoir
Jul 25, 2008
Buko and Ann no plugins installed or fonts or anything else. All five of us here had the problem as soon as updating OS X and Photoshop. All default settings on all five machines. The machine the gentleman was using Sat. at the Mac store was also default install with no third part anything and he was having the same issue.

Myself and one person here are running wireless mouse and the other three are running usb mouse. All five are using the slim keyboard usb.

Two of us have installed a wacom tablet and it has the same issue when bracketing up and down.
BW
Bjoern_Wirtz
Jul 25, 2008
As plugins i have installed Photomatix Tonemapping and i am using the standard wired keyboard and a wacom tablet. I think i am going to do a clean install of Photoshop over the weekend to test if any modification is causing the problem, but reading Lance comments i suspect that the problem will still be there.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections