JR
Posted By
Jon Riley
Feb 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is probably not a Photoshop issue, but I have a PSD file I can’t delete. Message says "There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use."

I can’t of course do anything else with it either (other than open in it Photoshop – but not save it).
The system (and Photoshop) seems to think a copy is already open, although it’s not. (I’ve even rebooted, makes no difference.)

Anyone have any ideas how I can get rid of it?

JonR

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
edjh
Feb 28, 2004
Jon Riley wrote:

This is probably not a Photoshop issue, but I have a PSD file I can’t delete. Message says "There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use."

I can’t of course do anything else with it either (other than open in it Photoshop – but not save it).
The system (and Photoshop) seems to think a copy is already open, although it’s not. (I’ve even rebooted, makes no difference.)

JonR
More info. OS? Are you working over a network?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
T
tacitr
Feb 28, 2004

What version of Windows?

If you are using NT/2000/XP, you may have to log on with Administrator privileges, change the file permissions, or both.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
WS
Warren Sarle
Feb 29, 2004
"Jon Riley" wrote in message

Assuming this is a standard Windows installation, look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell
Rename psicon.dll to anything else.
Reboot.
Now you should be able to delete or move the file.
If you want your thumbnails back, rename psicon.dll back to its original name and reboot.
JR
Jon Riley
Feb 29, 2004
"Jon Riley" wrote in message

JonR

Many thanks to all, but (on advice from elsewhere) I managed to delete it in safe mode.
ES
ed_spiker
Jul 13, 2004
Hi all–
Not that big a deal, but I imported a digital pic from flashcard by copying the entire flashcard file to the desktop. I have pic that I worked on and saved as a psd file. I did my changes and have saved the original file elsewhere on my computer. I cannot seem to get rid of the "temporary" file that I place on the desktop. I click through the folder until I’m looking at the single pic file and I click delete file but it won’t let it delete because it says it might be in use…which it’s not (I don’t see how anyway). Any thoughts?
I know this is almost a windows XP question and not a PE question but since it’s a psd file I thought I’d ask.
Thanks in advance.
Ed
J
jhjl1
Jul 13, 2004
I had that happen a few days ago and was able to delete after a reboot.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Hi all–
Not that big a deal,
ES
ed_spiker
Jul 13, 2004
James–
That did it!!
Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 13, 2004
Glad to hear this doesn’t only happen to me! This has caused me to do more than one system restore.
RH
Ron Hunter
Jul 15, 2004
wrote:
Hi all–
Not that big a deal, but I imported a digital pic from flashcard by copying the entire flashcard file to the desktop. I have pic that I worked on and saved as a psd file. I did my changes and have saved the original file elsewhere on my computer. I cannot seem to get rid of the "temporary" file that I place on the desktop. I click through the folder until I’m looking at the single pic file and I click delete file but it won’t let it delete because it says it might be in use…which it’s not (I don’t see how anyway). Any thoughts?
I know this is almost a windows XP question and not a PE question but since it’s a psd file I thought I’d ask.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

You might try logging off and logging back on, or failing that, rebooting, then immediately delete the file.
RH
Ron Hunter
Jul 15, 2004
wrote:

Glad to hear this doesn’t only happen to me! This has caused me to do more than one system restore.

There is a program mstisusedby which will tell you what program XP thinks is using the file. Perhaps that will help avoid future reboots.
SL
Steve_Last
Jul 18, 2004
I have a similar problem but it IS getting serious, I have a large number of .psd files in the Win XP recycle bin and cannot get rid of them so the disk is getting clogged. Rebooting makes no difference. Similarly cannot delete folder with these files in. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Steve L
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 18, 2004
Steve,

What error message are you seeing when you try to empty the recycle bin?

Have you tried to undelete and redelete a fiile? Also, there is a way to delete a file and bypassing the recycle bin, but I don’t remember the shortcut (I’m on a Mac). Perhaps someone here can just post the shortcut.

Finally, this might be a Microsoft issue, have you checked the Microsoft Knowledge Base for an answer?

Ray
SL
Steve_Last
Jul 18, 2004
Hi, yes I have tried that without success. the file is named e.g. 2right.psd, the actual message when attempting to do anything wiyh it including restore is "cannot move Dc395, it is being used by another person or programme. Close any programmes that might be using the file and try again". It seems like a MS XP issue but only occurs with PSD files as far as I can see. I will try the MSKB and see if there’s anything there.
Regards
Steve
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 18, 2004
Steve,

When you try to delete the files, how are you viewing them? Do you just click on the recycle bin to open it or are you looking at it in explorer view?

I have found that sometimes trying to delete from the explorer view will give me that error message if I try to delete a folder without being in the parent folder first.

Dick
SL
Steve_Last
Jul 18, 2004
Hi Dick,
Just opening the recycle bin shows the 11 files concerned. However if I tell it empty the bin it first asks if I want to delete the 33 iems there (i.e. 3 times as many as a re shown). I then get the message referred to. In Explorer view only 11 files, all .psd with a different name to that in the message, are shown. Result is the same.
I suspect that somewhere along the line an additional folder structure may have been created. Regards
Steve
PS MS KB didn’t have any answers I could find
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jul 18, 2004
Steve, I didn’t check back in this thread, but did anyone suggest you restart your computer in Safe mode and try to delete from there?
SL
Steve_Last
Jul 18, 2004
No, but I’ll give that a try…..Thanks
Steve
LG
Lorace_Graham
Jul 18, 2004
Hi,

Raymond said "Also, there is a way to
delete a file and bypassing the recycle bin, but I don’t remember the shortcut (I’m on a Mac). Perhaps someone here can just post the shortcut.

If the user holds the SHIFT key when issuing the delete command, the item won’t go into the recycle bin.

But I doubt if that will help in this instance, but may in the future.

When I have a problem in XP like this (can’t delete) I go to Start, RUN, Cmd – and try to do an attrib command on the file. I believe you issue a -H and a -R. (as I recall off the top of my head) Sometimes that will work and you’re able to delete.

Hope something helps,

Lorace

Attrib C:\location filename -H
Attrib C:\location filename -R
NS
Nancy_S
Jul 19, 2004
Steve,

Have you tried renaming the file in the RBin? Have you set computer to Show Hidden Files?
SH
Sharon_Hillhouse
Jul 20, 2004
If you are trying to delete a file that won’t delete, try going into system tools and running the disc cleanup. You can delete your recycle bin from there. I had a problem once with a file that would not delete, but this worked for me.

Sharon
SL
Steve_Last
Jul 20, 2004
Thanks Sharon, good idea, seems to have worked!!
Regards
Steve
BG
Baby Grand
Oct 7, 2004
Trying to clean up my drives, and I have several old image files (most in ..psd format, with layers intact) that when I try to delete them I get an error message that "there has been a sharing violation, or the file is in use". I can’t delete them, move them, or rename them without this same message. Any ideas? TIA

Baby Grand
BG
Baby Grand
Oct 7, 2004
Oops, perhaps I should have included – Windows 2000 Pro, PS 6.01

Baby Grand

"Baby Grand" wrote in message
Trying to clean up my drives, and I have several old image files (most in .psd format, with layers intact) that when I try to delete them I get an error message that "there has been a sharing violation, or the file is in use". I can’t delete them, move them, or rename them without this same message. Any ideas? TIA

Baby Grand

B
blackfox30
Oct 7, 2004
When I have probkems deleting files I either:

A) Restart the computer and see if the unlocks it

B) Use the program http://www.sysinternals.com/files/procexpnt.zip to find which program has the open file handle and use the program to close them (not recommended but it works most of the time without many ill effects).

Hope this helps.

Chris.

"Baby Grand" …
Baby Grand

Trying to clean up my drives, and I have several old image files (most in .psd format, with layers intact) that when I try to delete them I get an error message that "there has been a sharing violation, or the file is in use". I can’t delete them, move them, or rename them without this same message. Any ideas? TIA

Baby Grand

VM
Van Messner
Oct 7, 2004
Rebooting is probably all you need. If you’re comfortable with regedit you can also go through the registry and remove references to the files. Alternatively you might set some of your services to start manually rather than automatically in an attempt to keep anything from grabbing a handle to the file(s) on startup.

Van

"Chris Peerman" wrote in message

B) Use the program http://www.sysinternals.com/files/procexpnt.zip to find which program has the open file handle and use the program to close them (not recommended but it works most of the time without many ill effects).

Hope this helps.

Chris.

news:<cw39d.30771$>…
Baby Grand

Trying to clean up my drives, and I have several old image files (most
in
.psd format, with layers intact) that when I try to delete them I get
an
error message that "there has been a sharing violation, or the file is
in
use". I can’t delete them, move them, or rename them without this
same
message. Any ideas? TIA

Baby Grand

A
Anon
Oct 7, 2004
Baby Grand,

In Win2000Pro, try logon as Administrator account to delete move or rename the files. Sometimes user accounts do not have necessary permissions.

Scott

"Van Messner" wrote in message
Rebooting is probably all you need. If you’re comfortable with regedit
you
can also go through the registry and remove references to the files. Alternatively you might set some of your services to start manually rather than automatically in an attempt to keep anything from grabbing a handle
to
the file(s) on startup.

Van

"Chris Peerman" wrote in message

Hope this helps.

Chris.

news:<cw39d.30771$>…
Baby Grand

Trying to clean up my drives, and I have several old image files
(most
in
.psd format, with layers intact) that when I try to delete them I
get
an
error message that "there has been a sharing violation, or the file
is
in
use". I can’t delete them, move them, or rename them without this
same
message. Any ideas? TIA

Baby Grand

H
Hecate
Oct 8, 2004
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:24:32 -0500, "Baby Grand" wrote:

Easy way. Reboot, hit F8 to take you into Safe Mode. Find files and delete. Reboot. Do it this way because a simple reboot often doesn’t work.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
BG
Baby Grand
Oct 8, 2004
Hey Hecate,

Thanks for the help. Simple and easy. Why didn’t I think of that?

Baby Grand

"Hecate" wrote in message

Easy way. Reboot, hit F8 to take you into Safe Mode. Find files and delete. Reboot. Do it this way because a simple reboot often doesn’t work.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
noone
Oct 8, 2004
In article ,
says…

Hecate – The Real One

Hey Hecate, I thought you were on MAC. How do you know about Win machines? <G>

Hunt
N
nomail
Oct 8, 2004
Hunt wrote:

Because he struggles with them day after day. Hecate is not on Mac.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
EC
Ed Clarke
Oct 8, 2004
In article <1glbzpa.s6lys48tei64N%>, Johan W. Elzenga wrote:
Hunt wrote:

Hecate is a her not a he.

And if it’s "The Real Hecate", you do not want to piss her off because she could turn you into a newt. If you’re lucky…
H
Hecate
Oct 8, 2004
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:10:44 -0500, "Baby Grand" wrote:

Hey Hecate,

Thanks for the help. Simple and easy. Why didn’t I think of that?
You probably haven’t had to explain the same thing to lots of users who had problems finding out how to turn on a computer 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Oct 8, 2004
On 8 Oct 2004 02:50:39 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

Been on Mac. A while ago, when it was cool to be different and Macs had better colour. Then I supported a mixed environment and moved to PCs – when I found out I could buy a machine running Win that was just as good, but half the price 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Oct 8, 2004
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:31:37 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hunt wrote:

SHE doesn’t struggle with them at all. They’re easy to use, cost less and can do anything a Mac can do. Macs are fine if that’s what you’re used to, but they’re no more reliable than PCs and when I was supporting a mixed environment a few years ago, just as prone to crashing. The only difference was the Macs were all proprietary and therefore much harder to fix. Now they’re just Unix machines with a pretty front end I expect they’re easier to deal with.

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
H
Hecate
Oct 8, 2004
On 8 Oct 2004 08:00:58 GMT, Ed Clarke wrote:

Hunt wrote:

And if it’s "The Real Hecate", you do not want to piss her off because she could turn you into a newt. If you’re lucky…

LOL! I see you know your Greek mythology 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
N
noone
Oct 9, 2004
In article ,
says…
On 8 Oct 2004 02:50:39 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

Hey Hecate, I thought you were on MAC. How do you know about Win machines?
<G>
Been on Mac. A while ago, when it was cool to be different and Macs had better colour. Then I supported a mixed environment and moved to PCs – when I found out I could buy a machine running Win that was just as good, but half the price 😉

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui

I guess I got my Hecates mixed up! Or I just dreamed you were working with MAC. Probably because you had a bunch of MAC specific answers, I just assumed …. and we all know about assumptions. Sorry – I can’t afford to be a newt, at least not this week!!!!!!

Hunt
H
Hecate
Oct 10, 2004
On 9 Oct 2004 00:26:10 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

I guess I got my Hecates mixed up! Or I just dreamed you were working with MAC. Probably because you had a bunch of MAC specific answers, I just assumed … and we all know about assumptions. Sorry – I can’t afford to be a newt, at least not this week!!!!!!
<g> It pays to know as much as you can about any machines you may use now or in the future. I try and keep up to date 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
B
bagal
Oct 12, 2004
"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
Hunt wrote:

Now there’s a thought!

Let’s hope The Real Hecate and The Doormouse never ever team up!

Can I get my apologies in now?

Arty
H
Hecate
Oct 13, 2004
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:56:33 GMT, "Arty" wrote:

Now there’s a thought!

Can I get my apologies in now?
LOL! The Doormouse just a short fuse where people can’t be bothered to press F1 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
FB
Frederic Banaszak
Oct 16, 2004
"Arty" wrote:

Woe be unto the person that asks a question about ImageReady without first checking the manual.

BAM–double whammy!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections