MC
Posted By
Marc_Cosgrove
Nov 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There is a problem with photoshop CS2 where for some reason when trying to open a GIF file, the file doesn’t open, no error or anything just nothing happens. If I open the GIF in paint or something, then copy and paste it into CS2, it comes up ok. Save it as a gif in PS and try opening in PS, nothing again.

Have tried a repair, re-install, using another profile, cleaning the registry… no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John Joslin
Nov 30, 2006
One thing you didn’t try was resetting the preferences.

See the FAQs.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.ef4a07f/1>
MC
Marc_Cosgrove
Nov 30, 2006
The preferences were deleted when uninstalled, if not then logging in with a new profile resulted in the default setup which still had the problem. At least I would have thought. Tried deleting it just now but no luck, haven’t got time on the PC at the moment but will try uninstalling again and make sure pref’s are deleted before reinstalling.

Thanks for the quick reply
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 30, 2006
Un-install/re-install does not affect the preferences!
D
deebs
Nov 30, 2006
I think it may, well in CS it does by allowing a total deletion?

How it works in CS2 ?
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 30, 2006
Uninstall, reinstall has, to my knowledge, never deleted preferences.
MC
Marc_Cosgrove
Dec 1, 2006
Well have definitely deleted the preferences this time using the photoshop quick keys and then outright deleting all adobe folders. And had no effect on opening gif files.

Can’t quite understand it, unless when I uninstall it I go line by line looking for adobe keys. Every PS key may not have bright neon letters telling me that it is there to be deleted though.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 2, 2006
Check your plugins folder for a third party GIF plugin.

And how are you opening them? From the Open.. menu item, clicking on them in the Explorer and saying "edit with", double clicking them, or dragging them to the Photoshop icon?
MC
Marc_Cosgrove
Dec 4, 2006
No third party plugins, deleted all of them anyway.

I’ve tried opening them every which way, every other program can pretty much open them up, PS just acts like it is opened but hasn’t done anything.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 6, 2006
Which means you have moved or deleted Photoshop’s GIF format plugin.
MC
Marc_Cosgrove
Dec 6, 2006
Which was re-installed and had tried copying a known working copy across beforehand anyway with no joy.
R
robbiedoug487
Dec 6, 2006
I cannot open my PS CS2. Whenever I try, I get the following error messages:

1) Could not load default swatches because the file could not be found.
2) Dould not load default tool presets because the file could not be found
3) Your Adobe Photoshop user name, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit.

Could an un-install and re-install help? Thanks,
Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 6, 2006
Robbie – please create a new topic instead of adding your message to a completely unrelated topic. And reinstall the app.
D
deebs
Dec 6, 2006
I am sure that uninstalling CS (full Creative Suite) has a requester asking if aALL should be deleted. It seems, unless I am mistaken, to include preferences?

(If one is really, really stuck and on a deadline The Gimp seems to give a workable solution to GIFs and animating them.)
MC
Marc_Cosgrove
Dec 8, 2006
Sort of found a workaround to this, when copying across someone elses copy to just the C: dir it would work fine. So figure there must be some corrupt file in the proper dir. Goto safemode and swap the two out, reboot and suddenly the copy that was working… doesn’t. So I out it back to what it was and it starts working again. Its a workaround because I think some software or something server based is interfering with the specific dir. Which is quite odd, not a lot of x factor software… yahoo widgets and other commercial software. Strange.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 8, 2006
Yahoo’s add-ons ARE a big "x-factor".

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections