B
Posted By
Buko
Jul 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Generic RAM issue, which seems unlikely because every other program functions normally.

that would mean nothing as Photoshop is the intensive RAM app that you can run.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 13, 2008
I’m not exactly sure what you mean by that; if you mean that I have no other application with which I can benchmark the RAM to see if the error is there then I have. I ran EVE online along with several other programs at highest resolution and setting without any crash of any program.

Again it would seem strange to me if it were an actual RAM issue, painting a 400×400 pixel canvas with 4gb of ram should never pose any problems, 9000×3000 might lag the system, but should also not be able to make the entire program crash and chronically unstable, right?
B
Buko
Jul 13, 2008
What I was trying to say is there is no other application that will torture RAM like Photoshop. If you want to see if you have bad RAM you need to remove each stick and see if the problem continues.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 13, 2008
I’m afraid I’m unable to remove the sticks since; a) I’m not really skilled with computers and b) I can’t easily open up the case of my iMAC.
KT
Karl_Tiedemann
Jul 14, 2008
I have this exact same problem.
Mac OS 10.5.4, 2×2.66 Xeons, 4GB RAM
Photoshop Extended CS3.

I’ve haven’t had single problem with crashes prior to installing the Intuos tablet. Now I suffer a crash a couple times an hour when I am using the tablet. I’ve upgraded the tablet drivers and yet I still crash with *extreme* regularity.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 14, 2008
I just tried 2 different intuos tablets and still no luck, both seem to crash, and indeed prior to installing these drivers everything was working fine, except for lacking pressure sensitivity.

It is extremely frustrating since Wacom is the leading tablet manufacturer and their Intuos series is a very popular and durable one. Anyone else experiencing the same problem or has found a solution?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2008
The latest Wacom driver v.6.0.8-2 seems to be fine on my G5 with CS3 running on OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger).

Did you use the Wacom UNinstaller before installing the latest version?

I suggest that you then run Cocktail to clean out your Caches and run the Cron Scripts and re-boot your Mac.

Of course, this could be yet another Leopard problem as I notice that both of you are running it.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 14, 2008
The driver in question, v.6.0.8-2 was the version I was running, cleaned out everything when reinstalling complete mac os so, guessing it can’t get more clean then that right?

I’m beginning to suspect a leopard problem. I wonder if changing to tiger would void my warranty.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2008
I am not even sure that you CAN back-grade to Tiger on that machine.

Apple are obviously so disillusioned with the abysmal performance of Leopard that they are now working in the next version to be called "Snow Leopard" — due out in about a year.

"SNOW Leopard" —that just HAS to be a classic whitewash job?!
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 14, 2008
Well, even if snow leopard can fix a lot of issues waiting a year isn’t really an option. It seems weird to me that it’s such a specific problem and no patch has been released to deal with exactly that problem.

So, does anyone now know if its possible to install tiger on iMAC? (I’d assume so since other OS’s are supported as well, like windows)
And, if there are more people around with the seemingly intuos3 bug and have you fixed it?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 14, 2008
If you are sure that this is a Wacom problem, you need to take it up with Wacom themselves.

However, when you "Created a different user account and copied the preferences" you simply re-installed the corruption that was proably causing the problem in the first place.

Trash the ALL of your Photoshop Prefs and re-boot the Mac.

Also run Disk Warrior to repair the Directory and Cocktail to clean out Caches.

Then you need a second HD (an external FWD would do) for Photoshop ‘s Scratch.

Also: what exactly did you use to "Replace wacom intuos3 driver with tablet pc drivers" — and are you sure that you installed the correct Wacom Drivers for you computer and Mac OS?.
R
Ram
Jul 15, 2008
If your machine came with Leopard installed, then it is the kind that cannot run Tiger, unfortunately.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 15, 2008
Alright, thank you Ramon for clearing that out for me.
I tried to create both a new user account without copying preferences and with; and both options didn’t work.

And, trashing all photoshop files and rebooting mac etc is something I’ve done a million times already, I even formatted my HD and reinstalled mac os up to 2 times now to get as a ‘clean install’ as possible.

I’m going to try disk warrior and cocktail next to see if that changes anything.

I tried various wacom drivers that I could find and were mac compatible. I made sure none of them ran at the same time, so only 1 driver installed per try and still no luck.
I’m going to call wacom helpdesk to see if they can offer me some support, I will keep you all posted.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 15, 2008
I tried calling the wacom support all day and still no response, going to a certified apple dealer to see what’s the deal with all of this. Anyone else found a fix for this problem yet?
B
Buko
Jul 15, 2008
Hard to find a fix when you don’t have the problem.

did you use Apples combo updater for 10.5.4 if not try it.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 16, 2008
I just updated it regularly through system updates option from the apple menu. Dont know if the apples combo updater is something different?
B
Buko
Jul 16, 2008
It is. I always use the combo. It replaces everything that is different between 10.5 and 10.5.4 so if there is any corruption that the software update files missed the combo will get them. Sorry I’m not running 10.5.4 its too unstable with InDesign.
R
Ram
Jul 16, 2008
Dont know if the apples combo updater is something different?

Yes, it is. Try that.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 16, 2008
Alright, I deleted the drivers, ran the update via apples combo updater, reinstalled the latest wacom drivers and the error still occurs.

I also talked to the wacom helpdesk / technical support and they were surprised it didn’t work but would check with their development division to see what was up. I also had contact with a certified apple dealer who had no clue as to what could be the problem.

So that seems to be it, completely stuck. I can’t return the machine because apple argues there is nothing actually ‘wrong’ with the machine. Personally I beg to differ but I suppose they have a point.
So unless someone has any other suggestions that I might try the best thing for me might just be to buy a whole new system all together.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 16, 2008
One possible cause: a faulty USB Port or Hub?

If you are using a Hub, it must be a powered one.

Try connecting the Wacom directly to one of the other USB ports on your computer (and NOT to one of the keyboard ones).

Also, disconnect any third party Mouse and trash its Prefs and Driver if it has one.
TL
Titus_Lunter
Jul 16, 2008
Ann, I tried all of that but thank you for you input. I never used a hub and tried all usb slots on the machine, keyboard an no keyboard. Also, I removed a third party mouse etc and still nothing.

I’ve ordered to return the machine and get a refund because after more then a week of troubleshooting and adobe, wacom and apple all have no idea what is going on.

It’s a pity but I hope the new machine works better. Thanks for all the help guys!
P
PShock
Jul 17, 2008
No Wacom/Leopard issue here.

Mac Pro / 12GB RAM / 10.5.4
PS CS3 10.0.1
(Original) Intous 6×8 using the 6.0.5-2 driver

-phil
ZZ
zig_zen
Jul 17, 2008
Cs2 is much better
<http://www.weshow.com/top10/en/>
B
Buko
Jul 17, 2008
Better than what? Photoshop 7?
E
essextwo
Aug 13, 2008
Hey Titus,

I have a mac book pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2G Ram
Runing Tiger 10.4.11

and have the EXACT same problem you have.
I could run my tablet without the pressure sensitive drivers fine, but when I added the drivers and got to the painting aspect in photoshop my tablet features would freeze (my touch pad still working on the note book) and then photoshop would crash. This would happen every 20-30 minutes… its unbelievable.

I was thinking it could be a ram issue, but you have twice as much ram and have the same problem, so it must be a cache or driver issue.

God help us both.

-Sean
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 13, 2008
essex,

when I added the drivers…

You may have a damaged or old/incompatible driver or damaged driver preferences for your tablet.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
You don’t just add drivers you should be installing them. and if you have an older driver installed you need to uninstall that first.
E
essextwo
Aug 15, 2008
sorry for the mixup, the drivers were installed (is what i meant by "added") and there were no previous drivers installed for the tablet. there has to be some sort of incompatibility with cs3 and the drivers. did add a 2nd hard drive as for a scratch disk, and then attempted to crash photoshop by doing a few thousand strokes with different sized brushes in a few minutes, and i couldnt get it to fail, I’m about to attempt it again on the document i would like to be working on without it crashing i’ll report back on how this 2nd scratch disk theory works out.

Sean
E
essextwo
Aug 15, 2008
same result.
it was quite steady and working fine until i used the button on the stylus to keep the shape constant for filling large areas quickly. (in photoshop)
then about a minute after (i could hear my fans running hard on my laptop) it got all worked up and crashed.
after restarting it then crashed as i was attempting to save (about a half an hour after the first incident.
this is a rather large problem, i dont understand how adobe and wacom have no answers on how to fix this.i’ll stick to this forum and see if anything comes up, or if i miraculously stumble upon a solution.

Sean
B
Buko
Aug 15, 2008
i dont understand how adobe and wacom have no answers on how to fix this.

it could be because nobody else has the problem.

Maybe you have bad hardware?
L
Levitan
Sep 29, 2008
Ok, I’m a bit late most likely, but I seem to be having the same problem. Photoshop CS3 (iMac 2.66gH, 3MB ram, OS10.5) becomes unresponsive, apparently in conjunction with the tablet, and no programs can be accessed. I have had switch off the computer to restart.
B
Buko
Sep 29, 2008
Wacom just released a new driver.
E
essextwo
Sep 29, 2008
Hi there,

I appreciate the advice/support offered in this thread, and I am proud to say I have fixed the problem. I upgraded to Leopard, erase/installed to have a clean slate and installed the adobe master collection. Last night I worked straight through the night (8pm-8am) digital painting the entire time without a single hiccup. I do save my work more frequently now (just in case) but have found everything to be just as it should be. Maybe there was a driver issue or extension conflict, regardless the clean install and new version of the adobe suite saved the day for me.

Best,

-Sean
B
Buko
Sep 30, 2008
You should still download the new driver from Wacom

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections