WD
Posted By
William Donelson
Apr 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I get all/most of the tools and palette layouts transfered from CS2 to my new CS3 ?

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WD
William Donelson
Apr 8, 2008
Also, I’d like to restore my function key settings…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2008
I guess that you will just have to re-arrange them all again, then save your new workspaces.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2008
Function keys settings might be transferable if you can save them as an Action in CS2 and then import them into CS3 but I have not tried to do that.
WD
William Donelson
Apr 8, 2008
I have put in a feature request in the other forum for a "Personal Settings Transfer" wizard of some sort.

Having to do this is really annoying, every time I upgrade (every couple of years), and I’m always finding things I forgot (such as my Brushes definitions, my Tool Presets, etc)

Some of these can be gotten from the old CS2 presets folder, but it’s a hassle to have to do them all, one at a time…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 8, 2008
Why don’t you record an Action while you set-up your next workspace?

Then you could play it back whenever you needed to re-install the space.
WD
William Donelson
Apr 8, 2008
I’ve set actions for a lot of my functions, but there are still Many personal settings (palette positions, etc) which should be automatically updated by Adobe’s installer.
B
Buko
Apr 8, 2008
There is enough difference in the way the panels work that its not probably feasible.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 8, 2008
So how would you cater for the changes in GUI between CS2 and CS3?

And who knows what CS4 will look like!

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/11/photoshop_as_se.html>
WD
William Donelson
Apr 8, 2008
Well…. Since you ask…

I would certainly update as many different sets of things as were possible, e.g. Tool Presets, Brushes, Actions, etc

For palettes, I would place them in the best approximate location, and then warn the user that perfect placement might not be possible…

Similar approach for color and preferences etc…

Most people upgrading would like to start "fully operational" so they can work, and then learn new tricks etc as they go along. I do have to make a living at this !

That’s what I’d do…
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 8, 2008
You asked:

How do I get all/most of the tools and palette layouts transfered from CS2 to my new CS3 ?

That’s not the same as

Tool Presets, Brushes, Actions, etc

These can easily be saved from the old version and copied into the new.
WD
William Donelson
Apr 8, 2008
John, sorry. I asked the question as I was updating my CS3 to match my CS2, and later realised that there were more issues than just Palette positions.

Again, Adobe really should handle upgrades more smoothly, as there really are many many things to re-work, all in different folders etc etc.

All in all (assuming I haven’t missed something), it took me almost an hour to get things set up like I had them in CS2…

( I had to take a screenshot of my palette positions (on my 2nd monitor) and then hand-adjust the CS3 palettes to more-or-less match, and then load one-at-a-time all my presets, brushes, paths, actions, tool presets, color definitions, styles, etc etc etc from the various CS2 folders, then same them into my CS3 folders from within CS3 – in case there is a different format now being used… )
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2008
William,

You do know that you are not addressing Adobe here in these user to user forums, don’t you?

It’s OK to vent a little, though, as Adobe is not listening anyway even when you go through proper channels. :/
CB
charles badland
Apr 9, 2008
It’s OK to vent a little, though, as Adobe is not listening anyway…

Too bad really. Adobe used to, at least, pay some small attention to input from these forums.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2008
I remember those days too, Charles. 🙁
CB
charles badland
Apr 9, 2008
🙁
The only time now I feel any input worth is if I get my employer to send me to a PhotoshopWorld (TM S.Kelby) Conference.
Even then, the Adobe folks there seem more interested in pushing their wares than getting any useful feedback or suggestions for improvement. Shame, really.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 9, 2008
Think of it this way. The more they don’t listen the more money I make. I dont know if I should congratulate them or console them.

The corporate machine keeps digging themselves feature con-dumb-numbs with every release and users are becoming lost in the shuffle.

Sweet….

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections