John_Forrest
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Cannot EXPORT a file. The "export" function is grayed-out

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 3, 2004
That command was put in there by Adobe as a carryover from full Photoshop, but basically it’s not usable with Elements. (An Adobe guy explained this once a long time ago, but I don’t happen to remember the details.)

What do you want to do? It’s likely there’s another command that will accomplish what you need.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 3, 2004
Hi, John. That’s because you don’t really need to "export." Just save your file in a format that the app you want to use the picture in can read, like TIFF or JPG and open it in the new application. The export menu is always empty/unavailable. See the post from Rich Coencas from Adobe here for more about why that is:

Richard Coencas "Export to e-mail" 10/23/03 7:52am </cgi-bin/webx?13/12>
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 3, 2004
Woops, ya beat me, Beth.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 3, 2004
And you saved me the trouble of looking that up, which is what I’d come back to do. Thanks! 🙂
JF
John_Forrest
Apr 3, 2004
Thanks for the sppedy rely! I was hoping I could export files as an .ai Illustrator file (wishful thinking!)
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 3, 2004
Joh, I don’t know what kinds of files Illustrator will open, but you can save your images in Elements in a variety of formats. Perhaps .pdf files would work with Illustrator?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections