Sluggish Intuos 3 tablet on Photoshop CS3.

GC
Posted By
George_Coghill
Apr 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just wanted to update this thread, as I just yesterday made the leap to Leopard. Finally got off the aging G4 on to a nice new Mac Pro. I had some reserbvations from this thread, as well as the InDesign issues some users are experiencing.

So far, I have had none of the Wacom issues when using Photoshop – all has been working as expected. And I used the OS X Migration Assistant, moving from the PPC G4 on 10.4 to 10.5 on the Mac Pro. Risky, but I thought I would trust Apple.

I did have issues with CS3 – first InDesign had some horrible bug that wouldn’t let it launch. Adobe’s installer sucks – even if you select a single app to uninstall, it just reinstalls all of CS3 anyways. Frustrating. Then AI wouldn’t upgrade, so I just did a Remove using the installer of the entire Creative Suite. I reinstalled everything but Version Cue, ran all the updates, and now all seems good so far. Not much real-world usage, but enough to know the Intuos3 isn’t having lag or chunky brushstroke issues.

After the Remove/Re-install, I did no manual tweaking to settings at all. I suppose my rambling point here is to suggest perhaps doing a Remove/Re-install of CS3, although I was not seeing these issues before doing so. I just know it fixed some other issues I was having with other apps, and the clean CS3 install seemed to have cleared those things up.

The only downside would be having to use Adobe’s horrible instasller – man was that thing making me frustrated on top of already being annoyed.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GC
Greg_Clifton
Apr 4, 2008
Cool – that’s great you’re not having the Wacom/PS issues πŸ™‚ I have a sneaky feeling that the issues would still be there even if I did remove / reinstall CS3 but may be worth a try.

If you could post a screen grab of your good quality brushstrokes (drawn at different speeds and different angles with a hard round 5px brush) that would be cool thanks

Greg
GC
George_Coghill
Apr 4, 2008
Yeah, like I said I was not having issues using the Intuos3 on CS3 after the 10.5/Mac Pro upgrade. But the remove/reinstall did clear up other issues so I thought I would pass it along as a suggestion.

Here’s some sample brushstrokes:

< http://georgecoghill.com/images/art/_temp/photoshop-brushstr okes.jpg>

Let me know if you need more.
GC
Greg_Clifton
Apr 4, 2008
Cool thanks George πŸ™‚

The only other brushstrokes I’d like to see to check if you have this wobble at all is drawing at 25% or even 12.5% you could try this with a 1000x1000pixel canvas. Try to draw as long smooth a line as possible like this – comfortable speed. If the resulting exaggerated wobble is even and has regular ‘steps’ then you may have a reduced version of the line quality issue.

< http://www.lordart.co.uk/filedump/drawing%20at%20zoom%202.pn g>

Thanks again
B
bratsi
Apr 6, 2008
Actually George, if you look at the brush strokes you have shown in your image, they are wobbly, definately not smooth! I was hoping you didn’t, but you actually do have the same issue the rest of us are having!
B
Buko
Apr 6, 2008
Are you guys all on Intel boxes I just don’t see it on a G5, Tiger or Leopard.
R
Ram
Apr 6, 2008
Nor on a Macintosh PPC, 10.4.11.
GC
George_Coghill
Apr 6, 2008
@bratsi – I do see the jaggy lines, but after working with more natural-speed strokes, I attributed the wobble to my hand and the sensitivity/resolution of the Intuos3. I was moving my hand quite slowly when making those marks.

I still have 10.4.11 on the MacBook for now, I will have to try it out there and compare.

I was demoing the graphics app Acorn, and the jagged/angled curved lines I saw there (inversely happen during fast brushstrokes) was what I thought was being discussed on this thread. I will have to go back and review the screenshots by others, projects have been keeping me busy up to the eyeballs and I posted based on memory of the older threads here.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections