ES
Posted By
Ed_Sennett
Nov 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Memory and Cache Preferences, the available RAM to me is shown as approx 1760 MB. When I had 2 GB RAM. But still shows same amount RAM even after I installed 2 GB additional of memory to my computer. I now have 4 GB RAM but Memory & Cache preferences still show same value (1760 MB) available. How can I make the Memory & Cache preference dialog box show the correct RAM available? My system acknowledges I successfully installed the additional RAM.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Nov 22, 2006
Hi Ed,

With 4GB, you need to enable the 3GB switch in the BOOT.INI file so that Windows XP/2000 is told to use the upper 1GB of your RAM and allow the remaining 3GB for application use. Once done, you will see the increased amount available to Photoshop. For more info, see this thread: Upgraded RAM but it doesn’t seem to all be available? <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc23f8c/3>

Regards,

Daryl
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 22, 2006
You don’t say, but I’m guessing you have 32bit XP (home or pro) and not XP64.

In 32 bit operating systems, apps can only "see" 2GB. The exception is XP pro which *can* be made to see 3GB by using the 3GB switch.

Google it for info on "how to"
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Nov 22, 2006
I didn’t know that was a "pro-only" option Chris, regardng Windows XP. But thanks for making the clarification, as I tend to forget there is the home version to consider, as well as XP64.

Daryl
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 22, 2006
You want choices? Just wait til Vista gets here. <g>

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 22, 2006
Just wait til Vista gets here. <g>

I’ll wait til Vista SP2 if it’s okay with you Bob. <bigger G>
ES
Ed_Sennett
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks Daryl, I connected to that link, and will try the boot.ini suggestion. I appreciate your help very much.

Kind Regards,
Ed
BL
Bob Levine
Nov 22, 2006
Sure, let the rest of us be guinea pigs. <even bigger G>

FWIW, I’ve been running RC1 here on a P4 2.66 Ghz with only one gig of RAM and everything is quite stable. I really like the new UI, also.

Bob
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Nov 22, 2006
Chris is right — the /3GB switch is for XP Pro 32-bit; with XP Pro 64-bit, all 4 GB of RAM are used. It won’t work with XP Home, though.

Caution: The /3GB switch will not work with all system configurations; I don’t know whether it’s dependent on the MB, the processor, or something else. I would strongly advise editing your boot.ini file to add a second boot option with the /3GB switch added to a copy of the existing boot option. That way if it doesn’t work, you can boot under the old boot option and delete the modification. Otherwise, you will have to try fixing the boot.ini file from the recovery console. Search support.microsoft.com for "3GB" for more information.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections