SW
Posted By
Susan_Welter
Feb 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m working with huge panoramic photos (88" up to 117" wide) files which are 1/2 size of the final ‘print’ size. . The Printer’s preferred output format is Illustrator EPS.

For quality, should I convert to cmyk in Photoshop and then import to Illustrator or leave as rgb files and do the cmyk conversion in Illustrator CS2?

Thanks — Susan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Feb 13, 2007
I’d convert to CMYK in Photoshop then place in illy make sure your color management is the same in both. If you own the full creative suite and have your apps synced in Bridge it should not matter.
P
Phosphor
Feb 13, 2007
I’m going to hazard a guess that the print vendor’s RIP has its own RGB—>CMYK conversion. What’s it getting printed on? What kind of hardware/RIP/software?

At least when I was doing billboards and other Grand Format stuff (VuTEKs, and some other company name I can’t remember right now), we sent everything to the printer as RGB.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t preview your image in simulated CMYK to make sure your stuff isn’t completely out of gamut…see if the vendor has a CMYK profile for you to load onto your system.
B
Bernie
Feb 13, 2007
At least when I was doing billboards and other Grand Format stuff (VuTEKs, and some other company name I can’t remember right now), we sent everything to the printer as RGB.

Same here, Lambda, HPs and come other stuff.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 13, 2007
The Printer’s preferred output format is Illustrator EPS.

Is the printer assuming you are sending file with only vector data? You may want to clarify to them that you have a raster file and find out if they still want you to save it as an EPS. You can then check on the color space question at that time.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Feb 14, 2007
Most of the time when I do billboards I am asked for CMYK. About the only piece they want RGB for is Duratrans that I can remember…

peace
SW
Susan_Welter
Feb 14, 2007
The printer’s specs are from 2004 (their last update) – I don’t know how they will RIP the files but I can find out. Probably printed on a vinyl of some sort as these are for vehicle decals.

There are 8 variations (groupings) of sizes of vehicles – + variations from left & right sides and backs. the Printer want 1/2 actual size at 100 dpi (final printed 50 dpi) cmyk Illustrator EPS preferred (though they will take tifs) and I’ve kept the files rgb psd’s to keep the file size as small as possbile so far. Even with this Photoshop (CS1) locks up after working on 2 files or so — and I feel like I’m working on a PC instead of a Mac and have to shut off the computer to ‘clear the buffers’ a couple of times daily.

I have a Mac Power PC G4 Dual 1.42 2 Gb DDR 2 Mb LC cache 82% (1521 mb) cache memory alloted to Photoshop — ID CS 1 & 2, but I usually work in CS1 (I don’t like Bridge – rather use Graphics Converter or the CS1 File browser). Yes, full Creative Suites for all.

Thanks
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Feb 14, 2007
I have a Mac Power PC G4 Dual 1.42 2 Gb DDR 2 Mb LC cache 82% (1521 mb) cache memory alloted to Photoshop

Try dropping your memory setting to 50 percent. You’re not leaving much ram for OSX and other programs to run alongside Photoshop. Also, if your hard drive is over 60 percent filled, and you don’t have a second (internal preferrably) drive to set as Scratch disk, you’ll see Photoshop slow down or stall while working on large files.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections