RM
Posted By
Rick_Meikle
Feb 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a 440MB native .psd file (flattened & CMYK) that triggers this error message when I try to save it as a Maximum quality JPEG file in PS CS2: "Could not save as (filename.jpg) because there is not enough memory (RAM). Try saving without optimization or as a baseline JPEG."

I am able to save it as a baseline JPEG, but does anyone know what is "optimized" about the color in an optimized JPEG? The two lines below are from PS CS2 Help:

Baseline (“Standard”) Uses a format recognized by most web browsers. Baseline Optimized Creates a file with optimized color and a slightly smaller file size.

A second concern is why there isn’t enough RAM in the first place. How much does it take, and why isn’t disk space being used even if RAM runs out? I have a dual G5 with 4GB of RAM and about 100GB of available disk space. I’m running OS X 10.4.8. Activity Monitor shows I’m using just over 1GB of physical RAM for Photoshope and under 500 MB for all other open processes.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BR
Barry_Ryan
Feb 14, 2007
Try change preferences to [enable large document format (.psb).] regards Bj.
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 14, 2007
I serioulsy doubt that PSB enabling would make a difference, it just adds the choice of that file format.

Rick, what do you want to do with that JPEG? JPEG and CMYK are not usually good friends, maybe this is a limitation or a bug. Have you tried creating a CMYK optimized JPEG from a small file?
And could others try to save such a file? (huge CMYK>Optimized JPEG)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections