WD
Posted By
Wild_Dezign
Jan 31, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As I work in Photoshop CS2 today I have discovered that holding the shift key down does not constrain any longer. So while resizing a graphic or trying to draw a straight line, using the shift key does nothing. I haven’t changed any preferences in the last week so not sure what’s up. Can anyone shed some light on this? (I have restarted Photoshop & my Mac was booted up this morning – not left on for days on end) thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jan 31, 2007
Trash your prefs.

this is covered in the FAQs
WD
Wild_Dezign
Jan 31, 2007
Thanks I’ll try that.
But doing a search in the FAQ files did not bring up any results. (constrain image, resize image, shift key) I did look 🙂
WD
Wild_Dezign
Jan 31, 2007
OK, I trashed prefs. Their definitely gone because all my prefs, window placements etc are all gone. Resizing a graphic (or type) sort of works. When you hold down the shift key it doesn’t show you the actual enlarging constrained size, but when you let go it does constrain the image. (It used to show you the actual constraining as you moved your cursor while holding shift key.) Drawing a line with brush and trying to make it straight while holding shift key does NOT work. So this didn’t really fix it. Any other suggestions?
B
Buko
Feb 1, 2007
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bb77876/1>

Does photoshop work correctly in a new user?
WD
Wild_Dezign
Feb 1, 2007
Hi Buko,
Not sure about that, but this morning (after my computer has had a good night’s rest) the shift constrain thing seems to be acting normal again. (as well as adding and subtracting to a selection using shift and options keys). So I’m going to cross my fingers and hope it was some sort of fluke. And spend a bit more time getting my prefs back to where I liked them before I trashed them. I guess I should save a copy of those this time 😉 Thanks for your suggestion. Consider this problem solved for now.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections