SS
Posted By
Steve_Schillinger
Jan 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just loaded Suite two and when opening photoshop cs2 I get my computer desktop as the workspace instead of a grey area. Every time I click in the workspace area (my desktp) the program minimizes. Is this normal or can I fix it?
Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jan 12, 2007
This is how Macs work.

for the gray screen press the F key
VU
Vernon_Underwood
Jan 13, 2007
I tried this and nothing changed.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 13, 2007
While an image is open.
SS
Steve_Schillinger
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for your help, I think this sucks, Adobe should make it more like the Windows version. I am constantly closing my programs and going to the desktop. I guess I’ll get used to it but…..
P
Phosphor
Jan 14, 2007
"…Adobe should make it more like the Windows version."

Funniest thing I’ve heard all weeekend.

Thanks for the giggle.
B
Buko
Jan 14, 2007
If you want Windoze go back to your Dell but Don’t f_ck up my Mac with a back ass wards Microcrap way of doing things.
R
Ram
Jan 15, 2007
Steve,

As you’ve been told, ALL Mac applications work this way. It has nothing to do with Adobe.

Yes, I also got a good laugh from your posts. 😀

They rank up there with the lady that called Dell support to complain that "the cable for the computer’s foot pedal is too short; it doesn’t reach the floor!" (meaning the mouse).

You want Windoze, you get yourself a PC box.
I
iSteveV
Jan 15, 2007
…. and anti virus software, and…
P
PeterK.
Jan 15, 2007
While the mac way is more user-friendly, I will say that as far as photoshop goes, the grey backdrop in the windows versions is the better way. Having a neutral gray backdrop is much better for colour-correcting and designing than some other-multi-coloured backdrop or application windows cluttering the surrounding view. Especially when colour-correcting images, some colour other than grey can affect your colour judgement.
R
Ram
Jan 15, 2007
That has nothing to do with Windoes vs Mac.

Scroll, this is a VERY wide image:

CLICK HERE < http://files.myopera.com/cperaloca/albums/92592/3200x1200des ktop.jpg>

My Macintosh desktop across two monitors.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 15, 2007
Peter,

Either make your desktop a solid neutral gray, or hit F for a solid gray background.
P
PeterK.
Jan 16, 2007
Yes, I do already use a grey desktop, although it doesn’t hide finder windows and such. I was just chiming in to support the previous poster. Hitting F is alright, except when having to flip between images. If I had the option, I’d rather work with the grey backdrop right in the application. I smell a feature request…
RM
Rick McCleary
Jan 16, 2007
Hitting F is alright, except when having to flip between images.

Control-Tab to cycle ("flip") through open files.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jan 16, 2007
PeterK.

A solution to your desire would be to use a little freeware utility called Desktop Curtain. It’s a simple app with no CPU overhead once launched which puts a color of choice (or image) over the desktop with a few simple choices such as over or under the desktop icons. A simple right click quit and it goes away.

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26396>
P
PeterK.
Jan 16, 2007
Rick, sorry, by flipping through I meant comparing different images side-by-side. When you control-tab through images, as soon as your full-screen mode image comes up, it hides all the other images that you would want to compare it to.
Welles, thanks, I’ll check this out!
B
Bernie
Jan 16, 2007
although it doesn’t hide finder windows and such

Photoshop Menu -> Hide others
P
PeterK.
Jan 16, 2007
CN, yeah, but then you have to "show all" to get them back, or click on the apps seperately. I’d rather have fewer hoops and go for the simplicity of maximizing/minimizing photoshop and have the same function happen automatically when I’m using/not using photoshop. Much simpler!
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 16, 2007
The thing is, sometimes it’s useful to have the other apps and folders visible. You can drag between some programs and Photoshop and GoLive really likes to be able to grab things from open folders, etc.

I work mostly in Windows now, but I worked on Mac for years and it’s easy to get used to and appreciate.
B
Bernie
Jan 16, 2007
but then you have to "show all" to get them back

Command-Tab to switch between them, or use the Dock
P
PeterK.
Jan 16, 2007
CN, still more hoops than necessary.
Ed, as far as functionality goes, I wonder if in OSX you could go one better than windows, by having the grey backdrop be just a visual obstruction, but clicking on it could still automatically hide photoshop and reveal all the open windows beneath, as the function happens now? Windows can’t do this, since the backdrop is like a hard curtain tied to the app, but with OSX it may be possible to get the best of both worlds.
B
Bernie
Jan 16, 2007
CN, still more hoops than necessary.

buy a PC

And don’t touch my Mac
RM
Rick McCleary
Jan 16, 2007
PeterK. –

I understand your frustration in switching from one OS to another. If you give enough time to making the transition to Mac, I think you’ll find that the elegance of the Mac OS will win you over.

My working mode is as follows:
My desktop is set to neutral gray (160/160/160.)
In Photoshop, when working with a single image, I use Full Screen mode ("F".) When needing to view multiple images simultaneously, I work in Standard mode and have Photoshop automatically size the image windows by going to View > Arrange > Tile.

Beyond that, managing which apps are visible and which are not can be done using the techniques already outlined in this thread:
Hide Others: Option-Command-H
Cycle through apps: Command-Tab
B
Buko
Jan 16, 2007
Go back to your Dell don’t mess up my Mac.
P
PeterK.
Jan 16, 2007
Touchy. I use a mac and photoshop 8 hours a day and prefer it. I am well aware of the extra clicks I can make to simulate what happens in the most simple way on the windows version of photoshop. I prefer the automatic grey backdrop of the windows app, simply because it works simpler and makes sense for a colour/photography app. (not everything about windows is bad)
R
Ram
Jan 16, 2007
not everything about windows is bad

Then go back to Windoze already! Geeze…
B
Buko
Jan 16, 2007
Yeah we get touchy when someone wants to make our Macs just like Windoze.

We all use neutral gray Desktops you have been pointed to the curtain thingy If you must have a picture.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 16, 2007
Peter, your arguements are inconsistent. You complain that you have to hide Finder windows and background applications. But when told you can switch to them with Command-Tab or via the Dock (equivalent to Alt-Tab the Taskbar) you complain that that’s too many hoops. So, you want the windows hidden, but you want to be able to click on them? Oohhhkayyyy.
RM
Rick McCleary
Jan 16, 2007
I prefer the automatic grey backdrop of the windows app, simply because it works simpler and makes sense for a colour/photography app. (not everything about windows is bad)

It looks like Windows is the OS for you. Fortunately, we can still exercise free will…
P
PeterK.
Jan 17, 2007
Scott, nothing inconsistent at all. Once you hide photoshop (in windows), all your windows are revealed. You don’t have to do an extra alt-anything to access everything that was underneath.
Rick, no the Windows OS is not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about a software feature. CN, again, make the distinction between your mac and software. To put it simply.

The grey backdrop is preferred for colour work in photoshop. -In Windows, when you click on photoshop and work in it, the grey backdrop is there. -When you’re not working in photoshop, you can click once to hide it and it goes away, revealing all your open windows and apps underneath.
-no matter what computer you go to and what multi-coloured desktop some other user has decided to use, the functionality is there.

As it is now on the mac, you can’t get this one-click functionality that works by simply being there when you need it. You have to do extra things like change your desktop to a neutral gray, hide windows and apps, reveal them.
B
Buko
Jan 17, 2007
Peter what you are describing is a function of the Windoze OS none of us like that behavior that’s why we like our Macs and don’t want the changes you like. Go back to your windoze PC if thays what you want but don’t ruin the functionality of my Mac because you don’t want to work like every Mac user.
CB
charles badland
Jan 17, 2007
Why wouldn’t working in Full Screen Mode and using Exposé do what you want?
P
PeterK.
Jan 17, 2007
On the mac OS you can have your desktop visible without an app backdrop, which may be an interesting and useful feature of the OS, but when working in photoshop for colour-critical work, it’s not. I love the mac OS, but I’m not enough of an OS snob to shun a software feature available on another platform when it makes more sense.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 17, 2007
The point is, it’s not a software feature. Windows apps run in a window; Mac apps do not. That’s the difference.

If you want you can request that this be added to Photoshop as a feature. Believe me, a lot of Photoshop color correction is done on Mac.
B
Bernie
Jan 17, 2007
Why wouldn’t working in Full Screen Mode and using Exposé do what you want?

Because Peter wants a windows machine and not a Mac

None of the solutions offered here (or in his feature request) satisfy him, even though we’re all happy working with them
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2007
Nuts.
GB
g_ballard
Jan 18, 2007
Go back to your Dell don’t mess up my Mac.

well said…
P
PeterK.
Jan 18, 2007
CN stop saying I want a different OS, when what I’m asking for is a functionality like windows’ photoshop. None of the "solutions" (workarounds) are as simple as the one-click functionality in photoshop for windows. If you have a one-click solution that is as simple and effective, I’m all ears, otherwise I’ll just ignore your silly assertions. It’s not a crime to say that photoshop for windows does something better than photoshop for mac.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 18, 2007
I’ll say it again, Photoshop for Windows doesn’t do anything different from Photoshop for Mac. Windows programs run inside a window, hence the name. Mac programs do not.

It’s an OS thing, NOT a Photoshop thing. Photoshop for Windows does not have any special functionality; it acts like a Windows program, that’s all. Whether you think it’s "better" or not is purely a personal preference.
P
PeterK.
Jan 18, 2007
Yes I understand the differences perfectly. I’ve used photoshop on both platforms for over 10 years. I wish photoshop for mac had a grey backdrop. Can I make it simpler to understand?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 18, 2007
Everyone understands. Make it a feature request.
B
Bernie
Jan 18, 2007
CN stop saying I want a different OS

Stop saying you want a functionality in PS when what you want is a functionality of the OS.

Can I make it simpler to understand?

We ALL understand what you want and so far the only solution that would seem to satisfy you is to go back to using Windows. So why don’t you do that already?

’nuff said
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jan 18, 2007
And why is hitting the "F" key one time when the document opens (to turn on the exact gray backdrop you need) a big deal again?

Is it because you can’t see any other Photoshop documents that happen to be open too? If that is the case, then the main argument for having a solid gray background being that it assists in color correction (which I agree with) doesn’t really come into play because those other open Photoshop documents (in the background..like you’d see in Windows) more than likely contain colorful elements, which in turn start to mess up your color perception.

The best workflow on the Mac for you, then, is to drag all your compositing elements from all the open PS document windows into your master, layered file, then hit the F key. Now you have what you’re looking for without any hacks programs running in the background.

And you’ll have the added benefit of appreciating the benefit of the way Macs work.
P
PeterK.
Jan 18, 2007
Paul, I already mentioned why F doesn’t work. Sometimes you need to have a bunch of images up to compare and correct to (with grey between them).
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Jan 18, 2007
Sometimes you need to have a bunch of images up to compare and correct to (with grey between them).

Ahh…missed that part. Then Option-Command-H to hide other apps, and keep a gray desktop with no icon and folder clutter.
B
Buko
Jan 18, 2007
Then Option-Command-H to hide other apps, and keep a gray desktop with no icon and folder clutter.

PeterK would have to push 3 keys and he has already stated that is much to complex and confusing for him to do.
P
PeterK.
Jan 19, 2007
No Buko, I said one key is better.

Maybe you have a problem when someone criticizes and suggests an improvement to your favourite software. I have no such problems and don’t mind doing it myself.
B
Buko
Jan 19, 2007
its not the software.
R
Ram
Jan 19, 2007
PeterK,

It’s an improvement in your mind, a gross retrogression into Windows for the rest of us. Give it up.
P
PeterK.
Jan 19, 2007
Ramon, just because it resembles how photoshop for windows works, doesn’t make it inherently bad. The fact that on the windows OS it opens in a "window" with an automatic grey background may just be a happy coincidence, but it is undoubtedly the preferred setup when working with photoshop, otherwise mac users would not be needing to change their desktops to grey backgrounds. And from there, it’s one click to hide and reveal everything. It’s not a huge advantage, certainly not enough to change my preferred OS (contrary to what others keep foolishly insisting) but it is a better visual setup and worth asking for as an option.
B
Bernie
Jan 19, 2007
It’s not a huge advantage

Then why don’t you stop going on about it?
R
Ram
Jan 20, 2007
Peter,

You are dense. You just don’t get it.

It has NOTHING to do with Photoshop in particular. ALL Mac programs work like this and this is the way we like it. We don’t want it changed.

Just drop it.
P
PeterK.
Jan 20, 2007
Ramon, you are the dense one. I have repeated over and OVER that I’m familiar with how both OSes work. I KNOW all mac programs work like that and that this is the way most mac-users like it. I’m NOT saying I’d like to see the mac OS changed. I’m saying it would be nice to have the grey backdrop added, to photoshop ONLY, as an OPTIONAL FEATURE, because that is by default the setup that many if not most professionals use. The benefit would be a grey backdrop, reducing the hide and reveal to one click (that happens automatically with switching to and away from photoshop) with no extra hiding or key presses involved, and heck you could even put a family photo on your desktop instead of a drab solid grey. Pluses all around! Nobody seems to dispute that, only the notion, god-forbid, that it might resemble windows!
CN, if you and Ramon stopped twisting my words around trying to put your own false interpretations into them, I wouldn’t have to keep "going on about it" correcting you.
So do you guys even have a criticism against the sensibility of that aspect of photoshop for windows or are you just arguing for the sake of mac OS snobbery?
RM
Rick McCleary
Jan 20, 2007
PeterK.

If you’re truly serious about this, I’d recommend that you submit a feature request to Adobe and be done with it. Going on and on here is like running in circles.
R
Ram
Jan 20, 2007
Just who the hell do you think you are, PeterK, to barge in here showing your utter ignorance and trying to lecture us?

You are new to the Mac. Learn to use it. It’s that simple.

I’ve been using Macs for well over twenty years. I was forced to use Windoze for fifteen years in a day job with Uncle Sam, mercifully only for minutes every day, and I know what Windoze has to offer and what it hasn’t.

I started using computers in the course of my work in the early 1960s, that’s over forty years ago. I don’t need an anonymous ill-informed whippersnapper lecturing me on user interface issues.

You are dead wrong, I DO NOT want such an idiotic "feature". I like it the way it is and I thing your request is absurd. Adding unneeded "options" just bloats the program. Why can’t you get that through your thick skull? That’s why I called you dense, to be diplomatic.

I, for one, will not stop posting a negative comment every single time you make this idiotic request simply because I don’t want to see it implemented.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 20, 2007
Hey, can we lay off Peter? He gets that it’s an OS thing, yet he’s made a fair arguement that Photoshop benefits from a neutral background. It happens that due to the mostly poor interface of Windows, that background is a natural result of the way the OS works. The point has been made, and Peter’s left trying to save his reputation and keep from looking like an acolyte of Steve Balmer.

I think the horse’s carcass can be left alone now. Some moderator needs to shut this topic before it gets uglier.
R
Ram
Jan 20, 2007
The point has been made,

That’s what I had thought.

and Peter’s left trying to save his reputation and keep from looking like an acolyte of Steve Balmer.

Clever, oh that’s clever, Scott. 😀
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 20, 2007
I would rather have the Windows version of Photoshop eliminate the gray background so I could see my other apps and folders, like on a Mac. Think Adobe could pull that off?
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Jan 20, 2007
I would rather have the Windows version of Photoshop eliminate the gray background so I could see my other apps and folders, like on a Mac. Think Adobe could pull that off?

They could and they did! 😉

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Cul1iYcjVXmwZ0TXP EWfBFK5v8O>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 20, 2007
Time to upgrade!
RT
Ross_Tomlinson
Jan 22, 2007
When you want to view a second image on a Mac while editing another full screen, just move the second image to your spare monitor on the left or right of your main screen!

Hope this helps
P
PeterK.
Jan 22, 2007
Yes, Ramon, I’ve heard your "I’ve been working in this business since Gutenberg" rant before. I’ve been working a great deal, not just a few minutes at a time, in both Windows and Mac for over 14 years.
Now I’ll ask again, do you actually have any criticism of my request, or just your assertion that you "don’t like it." If you don’t, then I’ll just ignore your posts from now on and be content that I’ve made my point sufficiently clear and amply supported.
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2007
I’ve made my point sufficiently clear and amply supported.

I’m sure you have, in your mind.
P
PeterK.
Jan 22, 2007
And the mind of anyone who can read post #29. Still waiting for your list of criticisms, other than "it’s like windoze", "I don’t like it" or similar blustery opinion that lacks real substance.
R
Ram
Jan 22, 2007
It’s not needed, it can be accomplished through existing features and such an option would just bloat the program further.

Fortunately, Adobe is not listening to you either.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections