BW
Posted By
Bryan_Walton
Jan 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have finally had the opportunity to get tablet!-an Intuos3. So I’m a newbie at managing the thing. Upon installation of the driver (control panel) the tablet worked perfectly, and I was delighted. However, when I went to the preferences the "Wacom Table" icon is greyed out. I have visited a few other forums to try to get an answer, and tried two drivers( 4.96, 6.00-3).

My setup is a PowerMac G5 2.3Ghz Dual Processor, and I have two displays (Older 20" Apple Cinema, and a LaCie Blue VGA{CRT}).

If anyone has experienced this issue and has a solution (or knows of a good forum to check) it would be a great help.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Jan 9, 2007
the Wacom tablet icon in system prefs is grayed out?
BW
Bryan_Walton
Jan 9, 2007
Buko – thanks for responding. Yes, that’s right-the Wacom Tablet icon is system prefs is greyed out.

Also, forgot to mention I’m running 10.4.6.

Any thoughts?
JF
john_findley
Jan 9, 2007
My icon is gray, too.
Try clicking on it. 🙂
And consider 10.4.8
BW
Bryan_Walton
Jan 9, 2007
John – I did try clicking on it with both the mouse and the wacom pen-no use. When I press the front part of the toggle button on the pen I get a contextual menu "Remove "Wacom Tablet" Preferences Pane", but this is also greyed out.

Were you able to access the Preferences by clicking (even though it was greyed out)?
JF
john_findley
Jan 9, 2007
I put the smiley in there because the icon is grey, not greyed out. A not very helpful joke.

Try this: 1) Repair Disk permissions, 2) Upgrade to 10.4.8, 3) Repair again, 4) re-install latest Wacom driver (no other apps active), 5) repair again
B
Buko
Jan 9, 2007
What John said.
BW
Bryan_Walton
Jan 9, 2007
No-not a helpful joke, but now that I get it it’s pretty good! Thanks for the suggestions. I’m in a networked environment, so going to 10.4.8 will be a bit too much at this point. I did check/repair permissions, and did the driver uninstal and update; but it’s still not correcting the issue.

Thanks for the input, John.

Buko-any thoughts?
B
Buko
Jan 9, 2007
I’m in a networked environment, so going to 10.4.8 will be a bit too much at this point.

Why? 10.4.6 was a really bad update for networks this was fixed with 10.4.7 & 10.4.8.

does the Wacom icon show up in a new user?
BW
Bryan_Walton
Jan 9, 2007
Buko-I’m not the official sysmin. I am in a small company that is just now moving into a networked approach to things-so it’s "easy going" on updates like that.

Something good happened here though-I logged in as the root user, and the Wacom Tablet prefs were available. As mentioned, I’m a newbie with Wacom-so I’m not sure what this indicates.

What do you think?

Let me know if you need further info.
P
paradoxmoon
Jan 10, 2007
FWIW, and perhaps as an interim solution, there may be an alias in your Applications folder named "Wacom Tablet.prefPane".

I had some weird GUI issues recently and needed to use it to get into the wacom preference pane.
BW
Bryan_Walton
Jan 10, 2007
Paradoxmoon-checked the app folder, but it wasn’t there. I will keep this in mind for future reference though. Thanks!
P
paradoxmoon
Jan 10, 2007
Silly me, I should have referred you to the original Wacom prefPane, which lives in either: hard drive/Library/Preference Panes or user/Library/Preference Panes.

Like I said…may not work, but if it doesn’t open, maybe an alert will give a hint.

Come to think of it, maybe the tablet needs to be installed in your account rather than globally in order for you to access it? I don’t know, I know nothing about networks.
BW
Bryan_Walton
Jan 10, 2007
Hey Paradoxmoon – thanks for clarifying the location of the preferences. I didn’t find an alias. The tablet is actually working, but I still can’t fine tune it via the preferences pane. There must be some conflict between the system and user prefs because when I log in as the root user I get full access to the tablet adjustments.

I’ll keep poking around. Thanks!
S
SuperMacGuy
Jan 10, 2007
Bryan, did you install the tablet as the root user or admin? If so, you should log back in as one of those, and de-install and reinstall. Make sure you install "for all users on this machine", if it asks.
At my company, they have certain sys prefs disabled (not via the ‘parental’ or ‘limited’ way but via an access control list). Do you have the same sort of thing on your computers? You may need to have access to that and allow Wacom preferences pane.
If this didn’t work, then maybe log in as your normal user, assuming you have priviledge to install all programs, and make sure it installs only for your user account.
BW
Bryan_Walton
Jan 10, 2007
SuperMacGuy-this may be on the right track, as we do have some preferences disabled via access control(only "Network" though). I did try installing the Wacom items on both root and user levels, but there were no differences between these two installs that I could see. I think you have something here. I’ll try to get in touch with our admin(who’s offsite) to see what he thinks, and if he can allow user access to the tablet prefs.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections