Posted By
tikis
Jan 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.8 using Photoshop CS2 v9.0

I created a copy of a photo then cropped the copy. Next, I adjusted all of the image settings on the cropped copy — levels, color, brightness/contrast, etc. Everything looks great. Now, I’ve decided that I don’t like the crop, and I want to open the original file and "transfer" all of the image adjustments of the cropped copy to the original photo.

I have seen some posts for "saving actions," but I didn’t use that feature — as far as I know.

Is there a way to export my image adjustments from the copy to the original? That would save a great deal of work.

Also, if this is possible, it would help in automatically color-correcting photos taken with the same camera.

Thank you.

Tikis

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jan 6, 2007
Only if you made Adjustment Layers or saved the settings on the adjustments. Some of those Adjustment dialogs have a Save button just for this purpose. For the others you have to remember or write them down.

I prefer to use Adjustment Layers.
B
Buko
Jan 6, 2007
Another good reason to make your adjustments before you crop.
PT
Phil_Taz
Jan 7, 2007
method 1. open multiple photos from same camera batch, adjust one using adj layers, then select adj layers and drag onto other images, one image at a time.

method 2. adj one pic, save adj settings as you make them in adj palette.

method 3. after adjusting one pic, (not using adj layer) when you call up the same adj palette for the next image, hold command and option keys and palette will show last confirmed settings already.

(note: if you adjust in a selection of the image, some of these do not apply without alteration of selection.)

Doesn’t matter if image was cropped or not….
JM
John McWilliams
Jan 7, 2007
wrote:
MacBook Pro, OS 10.4.8 using Photoshop CS2 v9.0

I created a copy of a photo then cropped the copy. Next, I adjusted all of the image settings on the cropped copy — levels, color, brightness/contrast, etc. Everything looks great. Now, I’ve decided that I don’t like the crop, and I want to open the original file and "transfer" all of the image adjustments of the cropped copy to the original photo.

I have seen some posts for "saving actions," but I didn’t use that feature — as far as I know.

Is there a way to export my image adjustments from the copy to the original? That would save a great deal of work.

Also, if this is possible, it would help in automatically color-correcting photos taken with the same camera.

Adobe Lightroom almost forces you to be able to do this, and it works non-destructively on the original. I believe CSIII will also do this, but on RAW images only; LR works non-destructively, and copy-able- on jpegs and tiffs.

John McWilliams
CC
Conrad_Chavez
Jan 9, 2007
This might not apply now, but could help in the future:

If your camera can shoot in Raw mode, and you do as many corrections as possible in Adobe Camera Raw, you can use Adobe Bridge to copy one photo’s adjustments and paste them to any number of other raw files in a second or two. The command is Edit > Apply Camera Raw Settings > Copy (or Paste) Camera Raw Settings.

ACR also gives you the option of removing the crop at any time and restoring the whole original image, or transferring the crop to other images.

Also, in ACR (or the upcoming Lightroom), whether you first crop or adjust doesn’t matter, because you can go back and change any of them at any time.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections