GL
Posted By
glenn_losack
Dec 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ive ran this one topic before but its haunting me again. Ive got RAM set to 70 the default.
I have a QUAD with 4.5 GB RAM
I am only using PSHOP CS2 no other apps are launched.
for the first few hours things are OK.
then all of a sudden zooming takes time
writing keywords is delayed
then everything is delayed, almost halted
this has been going on for months.
This was a top of the line computer and 10./4.8 is the latest right. I have reinstalled already did a clean install months back. Im sorry for this rage but this shouldnt be happening. I should be able to have atleast 3-4 apps going right?
it creeps to a halt at 70
would someone help me finalize this fix.

thank you

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

S
Salty
Dec 24, 2006
wrote:
ive ran this one topic before but its haunting me again. Ive got RAM set to 70 the default.
I have a QUAD with 4.5 GB RAM
I am only using PSHOP CS2 no other apps are launched.
for the first few hours things are OK.
then all of a sudden zooming takes time
writing keywords is delayed
then everything is delayed, almost halted
this has been going on for months.
This was a top of the line computer and 10./4.8 is the latest right. I have reinstalled already did a clean install months back. Im sorry for this rage but this shouldnt be happening. I should be able to have atleast 3-4 apps going right?
it creeps to a halt at 70
would someone help me finalize this fix.

thank you

As many people, including myself, have a similar system with the same version of the OS without the problems you are encountering, I doubt that is to do with CS2. I would look at other problems. Have you run the Apple hardware app? It may show a problem with an area of ram or other hardware area. I had a similar problem a year or two back and it was a faulty ram module.

It could also be any other background apps with a memory leak. Widgets, Bluetooth phone managers, scanner/printer software, etc., etc.

What does your activity monitor show regarding various apps memory usage? That should give a pretty good indication as to the problem area.

Regards

Salty
JF
john_findley
Dec 26, 2006
You didn’t mention your scratch disk configuration, how much HD space you have free. If you don’t have (and use) DiskWarrior, you should.
GL
glenn_losack
Dec 26, 2006
scratch disk in the prefs?
first -startup
sec third fourth none have run disk warrior it still happens HD space free 75 GB
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 27, 2006
first -startup sec third fourth none have run disk warrior it still happens HD space free 75 GB
There is the problem.

You want another internal disk as your scratch disk this will make life run much faster and you might want to get a bigger start up disk.

Anyway believe it or not these large 500 GB disk run rather fast and make for when given a large enough scratch partition, say 50-60GB will run your machine and Photoshop much faster and more reliably as well. $200. That should solve your problem. This was first talked about here on the Forum by the late and great Bruce Fraser.

Try it you will like it and you will have plenty of space store a lot of current work for easy access. And installing another disk your Mac is a easy as securing four screws and sliding the hard disk and mounting rack back into the computer all of three minutes.
GM
George Middleton
Dec 27, 2006
As has been mentioned, a separate hard drive for scratch will certainly help. You may also want to try occaisionally quitting PS CS2, then opening it back up; it’s memory use tends to become fragmented over longer working sessioins.

Make sure you leave plenty of free space on the Startup disk; larger images can and will generate additional system swapfiles- even with large amounts of installed RAM.

Also- with 4.5G installed RAM, you should be able to set the allocation to 100% without performance penalty.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections