J
Posted By
JasonSmith
Dec 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a pretty good library of custom shapes in photoshop. Very often I like to use those vector shapes and bring them in as native elements in InDesign. (copy the path)

I do the same thing with illustrator vector elements as well; create a shape in AI, copy/paste into InDesign, instead of importing/placing those items.

Well my problem involves not being able to copy the paths straight from PS to ID. I have to copy from Photoshop, into Illustrator, and into InDesign.

Anybody out there have success copy/pasting paths from PS to ID?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JasonSmith
Dec 22, 2006
DONT EVERYBODY ANSWER ALL AT ONCE!!! EVERYBODY ELSE’S QUESTIONS GET ANSWERED BUT NOT MINE!!!???? IT’S ALL ADOBE’S FAULT!!!!!<sarcasm>

Happy holidays all.

MO, happy kwaanza
GB
g_ballard
Dec 22, 2006
have you tried reinstalling
J
JasonSmith
Dec 22, 2006
I think it might have to with this….when copy/pasting from illustrator, if the element doesnt have a fill or stroke, InDesign simply wont paste it – it doesnt exist in ID’s mind.

when copy/pasting paths from photoshop, that too doesnt have a fill or stroke.

It sounds like I’m on my way to a feature request, but A) I’m not sure which software is preventing this from working (seems like it would be an ID issue), and *B)* wanted to make sure that this is fact not working outside of my isolated situation.

If others can copy/paste paths from PS>ID, then I’ll know it’s just my system.

Damn emoticons, the smiley with sunglass should be a B with parenthesis. Good to know adobeforums.com are more concerned with happy faces instead of accurately relating information between users.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 23, 2006
Jas,

I’ve complained about it.

It does not work.

Chris knows about it.

Where that is at, I don’t know. Chris is a mad genius working on other things like Smart Objects. I think he is a mad man, but many have said the same thing about me at times.

I call it a blessing or curse.

Other than that, Don’t do what you are trying to do.

I "Think" what is going on is that Photoshop is sending EPS format when In Design wants to see PDF format. The copy and paste functionality on the OS / Adobe coded is PDF import In In Design.

It looks like you need to do the PD to AI to ID road trip. …..sorry.

;o)

welcome to the club…..

ah.
J
JasonSmith
Dec 23, 2006
Since I usually have all three programs open (PS/AI/ID), it’s really no big deal, just seems silly that PS can work with AI, and AI can work with ID, but not all three.

What about users that dont have Illustrator?

"I "Think" what is going on is that Photoshop is sending EPS format when In Design wants to see PDF format. The copy and paste functionality on the OS / Adobe coded is PDF import in In Design."

You might be right, I seem to remember an EPS error message when I try the PS>ID route. I’m not in my office so I cant check it until tuesday.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 23, 2006
What about users that dont have Illustrator?

bummer

I seem to remember an EPS error message when I try the PS>ID route. I’m not in my office so I cant check it until tuesday.

yes, you get a dialog box on the error.
J
JasonSmith
Dec 23, 2006
Tom,(Mr Knoll, thank you sir, and your brother’s pretty OK too) Scott, Chris, ect –

please add the ability to copy/paste vector elements from Adobe Phototshop® into Adobe InDesign®.

super pretty please.

….signed me

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections