DB
Posted By
David_Besack
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I have PS Elements 2.0.2 installed and run it almost every day. Today for the first time I am having trouble – during start-up it automatically tries to download these 2 files:
AWEXFiles.txt
AWEDBFiles4.awe

It never finishes this download and cannot finish starting up. I have had to force-quit to get it to stop. I tried restarting the computer and no luck. I know you can choose to not auto-check for updates but you have to actually run PS to change that setting, so I can’t do that either.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
Try deleting prefs on startup to see if program will open (see FAQ). Then if so, set the Adobe Online Pref to check: NEVER.

Mac
DB
David_Besack
Mar 1, 2004
I tried the delete-prefs thing. It just resets the prefs back to default, and default is to check the web. The funny thing is, BOTH files are in my folder and the download log says "successful" for each, yet there is some kind of finishing-up process that is causing the trouble.

I suppose I could try unplugging my internet connection and starting up.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
I’ve never heard of this issue before. Generally, the "fone home" thing just complains, never known it to prevent PSE from actually running. Unless someone chimes in with another suggestion, might be reinstall time.

Mac
GK
Gary_Kenaley
Mar 2, 2004
A hardware or software firewall will stop the Adobe online update from working, according to the Adobe tech support people. Windows XP has a built-in firewall, by the way (which may or may not be activated). But I haven’t seen the online update lockup a system.
DB
David_Besack
Mar 2, 2004
Well, I ended up deleting everything and reinstalling. First boot-up it downloaded those 2 files no problem. So everything seems fine now.

I am behind a firewall but it seemed okay.

Thanks for the help.
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 2, 2004
Now, David, you did set that Adobe Online frequency to Never, didn’t you?! 🙂
DB
David_Besack
Mar 2, 2004
It was the first thing I did 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections