JK
Posted By
jeff_kohl
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
got a file with jfif from a photgrapher and can’t open in elements. I thought this was one of the standard jpeg formats. Is there any way to open and read it?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
This in Windows? What is the extension? If it’s .jpe, .jpg, or .jpeg, Elements *should* recognize it. If something else, try using Open As or rename file to .jpg.

Mac
JK
jeff_kohl
Mar 1, 2004
It has a JFIF extension. I tried renaming it but still get an error when I try to read it in Elements 2.0 (yes, Windows version)
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 1, 2004
Just on a hunch, try .gif and see what happens.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
Sounds like some weirdo encoding. Or maybe corrupted (was it emailed to you?).

Email it to me if you like, I’ll take a look just to see if I can open in anything.

doogle AT doogle DOT com

Mac
R
RobertHJones
Mar 1, 2004
Mac,

JFIF stands for JPEG File Interchange Format. It’s basically a simplified JPEG format. It’s got an extra internal marker tag but it’s still a JPEG file. I’m not sure why Elements couldn’t read it. Perhaps it is corrupted. I don’t have any JFIF files to test.

Bob

Sounds like some weirdo encoding. Or maybe corrupted (was it emailed to you?).
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Mar 1, 2004
Hmm, iView media and colorsync will read those on a mac–never tried with PE. I wonder if yours is corrupt somehow. Of course, there are some forms of JPEG JFIF that are proprietary, too. Do you know what it was created with?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
Yeah, knew JFIF was a "standard", other main one is EXIF (mostly now in use), just wondering if some non-mainstream proggie wrote it or somesuch. I’m betting it’s corrupted via email or something.

Mac

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections