DM
Posted By
dave milbut
Aug 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
wow cool. in my tests while looking for a 3mp camera, the minoltas were my second choice behing the oly’s (in my price range.) I’ll have to give them another look when I go to 5mp +. especially if this makes in into their entire lineup eventually. thanks for the tip off mat!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave milbut
Aug 11, 2003
So IMHO, you will still get a sharper picture mounting on a tripod.

of course you will, but that’s not always possible. (or even likely for candids, which is 95% of what I take! <g>)
RH
r_harvey
Aug 11, 2003
From the backgrounder PDF:

The camera’s new Anti-shake function minimizes the effect of camera shake, a slight blurring of the image when the camera is handheld, to provide the sharpest image possible. The Anti-shake system is valuable when shooting at long focal lengths or in low-light conditions without a tripod. This allows the camera to be handheld with exposures approximately eight times longer than usual. When using the camera at the telephoto setting, approximately 90% of the images recorded will be sharp with a shutter speed of 1/25 second. The Anti-shake button glows to indicate the function is active.

The Minolta method sounds better than previous methods (even Steadicam <http://www.steadicam.com/>), primarily because you are stabilizing less mass. Generally images look good with these methods, except in extreme situations, when it is limited by the coverage of the lens–you can get fall-off or vignetting if you give it a good shake, or tilt while you shake, and especially if its auto-focus continues to adapt during the exposure.

Imagine looking through slightly-wavy glass; the view looks good, unless you move your head. While an exagerated example, moving the film plane during exposure will have that effect because of lens aberrations.

It’s only an f/2.8-3.5 lens; in a crunch, an Olympus with an f/1.8 lens would give you better than twice as fast of a shutter.

Assuming the lens is well corrected, and assuming I had $1300, I really want one.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 11, 2003
The Anti-shake system is valuable when shooting at long focal lengths or in low-light conditions

low light and/or flash off is where I have most of my problems. i’ll wait til the prices come down a bit though. yikes! 1300 dollars for a camera. i’d get a used les paul before that! 🙂
L
LenHewitt
Aug 11, 2003
Mathias,

Carol has one, and has reported remarkable results with hand-held shots at 1/15 on a long lens! Shots that would have previously been impossible without tripod have now become routine for her as hand-helds.
MV
Mathias Vejerslev
Aug 11, 2003
Len,

Carol has one of these A1s? But they haven´t hit the shelves yet? She must be testing it then.. How many cameras does that women posess?? 1/15 at the long end sounds about right 🙂

Dave,

I´ve spent in excess of $4000 on my Canon 10D + lenses so far. But stuff costs more in my neck of the woods. Still, its a helluva lotuv money.
L
LenHewitt
Aug 11, 2003
How many cameras does that women posess?? <<

Too many! <g>

Some women collect shoes, others handbags, Carol, well…….let’s say Carol is the Imelda Marcos of the Digital Camera world <g>
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Aug 12, 2003
I would like to see a comparison between hand-held and tripod, same settings.

I never travel without my tripod. The camera is on the ‘pod and slung over my shoulder. I carried an 8×10 that way, so minature cameras like Hasselblad are a snap!
RH
r_harvey
Aug 12, 2003
I would like to see a comparison between hand-held and tripod, same settings.

It would be subjective–factoring caffeine, immediacy, surprise. It’s for the time you don’t have a tripod; a bad picture you get, is better than a great one you don’t.

The camera is on the ‘pod and slung over my shoulder.

People who’ll carry this little plastic camera likely wouldn’t carry filters or a light meter, let-alone a tripod or beanbag.

I carried an 8×10 that way, so minature cameras like Hasselblad are a snap!

As someone who once carried a 5×7 with tripod and film box, while being chased up a hill by a pack of wild beasties, I would appreciate the extra running speed afforded by the little Minolta.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections