Posted By
pstudio4
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Re the PLACE command

With Adobe Illustrator it is possible to place all format types. As far as I can gather though, with Photoshop Elements, only A1, EPS, PDF and PDP are place-able.

Is this a limitation with Elements 2.0? Is the full version of Photoshop jpeg compatible?

If not, is there a way around this? If I can’t place jpeg files, Elements is no use to me.

Any help appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 1, 2004
OK….what does one use the PLACE command for?
SS
Susan_S.
Mar 1, 2004
According to the help files to "place artwork into a new layer in an image."

I don’t see what advantage this offers over just opening a .jpg file, select all and copy and pasting onto the document – it will automatically create its own new layer
And no Elements won’t place jpg files

Edit: and neither will PS6 – i don’t know about later versions
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
When you place a file, it is automatically rasterized to the same rez as the open file. Sizes it to whichever dimension it encounters first, at the pixel size of the original.

Mac
P
pstudio4
Mar 1, 2004
You said

"I don’t see what advantage this offers over just opening a .jpg file, select all and copy and pasting onto the document – it will automatically create its own new layer"

Thanks Susan,
I didn’t know I could simply copy and paste.

Would u mind telling me how I paste onto a document? When I click on copy, then try the paste icon, it isn’t highlighted.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Mar 1, 2004
ps – did you Select All first?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
Select All first on the one you want to copy, then copy/paste.

Mac
P
pstudio4
Mar 1, 2004
Obviously I’m doing something wrong.

I go to file, click on open, select All formats, right click on the file I want to open, select copy, cancel the open menu to get rid of it, then click on file, but still paste isn’t highlighted.

??
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 1, 2004
OPEN the file into Elements, THEN Select All, Copy/Paste.

Mac
P
pstudio4
Mar 1, 2004
Could you elaborate? Are you saying there’s a joint copy/paste icon?

Paul
SS
Susan_S.
Mar 1, 2004
Open the jpg file (ie so it is sitting there in all its glory in the workspace!) and also open the document theat you want to paste into then (in succession)
Select all
Copy
Choose the new document you want to paste it into
Paste
(you may need to adjust the size of the .jp first to make sure it comes into the new document at the desired size)
Susan S.
P
pstudio4
Mar 1, 2004
Aahhh. Thanks Susan. Now just 50 other things to learn.
SS
Susan_S.
Mar 1, 2004
No worries -glad you got there in the end- sometimes it’s hard for those who have been using the prgram for a while to remember that what seems obvious to us may be less so for someone used to a different package!

Susan S
S
SayItAgain
Mar 1, 2004
FYI control-A is the "standard" select-all in Windows applications. For some reason PE1 left out a Select-All option in the menu but the control-A works. Just have to watch the resolution issue.

wrote in message
Obviously I’m doing something wrong.

I go to file, click on open, select All formats, right click on the file I
want to open, select copy, cancel the open menu to get rid of it, then click on file, but still paste isn’t highlighted.
??

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections