JF
Posted By
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d really like to do it myself though. I want to know if there is a tutorial availabe to imitate cracked ground…ya know, when the ground is so dry that it cracks. Been wanting to do this for a while but haven’t found any tutorials on the subject. Plug-in is a last resort.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2003
I don’t have an answer, but think it’s a cool project. And kudos to you for wanting to create it from scratch.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 11, 2003
last resort:

<http://www.alienskin.com/xx2/xx2_main.html>

look for the filters> cracks

free 30 day full function demo.
—————–

couple of tut’s for cracks, nothing really exactly what you need, but maybe with some modifications…

< http://biorust.com/index.php?page=tutorial_detail&tutid= 22>

< http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/uc/tring/crack/uctring _crack.htm>

<http://www.is.kiruna.se/~cjo/iml/imlmar97.txt>
(search for crack… this is a text file)
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks guys !

Dave, thanks for taking the time to post all this for me. The more i think about it the more I’m thinking i can just go ahead and give it a whirl without a tute. I guess i was hoping for an easy way out which i shouldn’t have even considered. Nothing that’s easy will ever satisfy my creative needs 😉 Thanks again
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
Hi Phosphor, I’m from all over. Born in Quebec and was there t’il approx. 17 years of age and ‘drifted’ throughout the US and Canada. It’s quite possible we may have crossed paths…speaking of ‘paths’ , yes, i have read that illustrator had a steep learning curve ( google graphics pages ) so I guess I’m prepared for that. I’m still not sure I want to jump in just yet ( unless I can get the program cheap…hum, non-pirated cheap ) because Photoshop does do quite a bit for me. I have Photoshop Elements and PS6 and having a blast with both. I do like the idea of ‘vector’ art though. I know we can do the vector basics with Photoshop but I’m thinking I’d want more if I get into this aspect of graphics. So far i have been concentrating on producing quality raster images ( trying ) in hopes of landing some web graphic jobs. The competition is tough though. I know we can do logos with photoshop and I’ve noticed alot of companies just want logos so do i really need illustrator ? Anyways, I’m going on and on….cheers from NY 😉
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 11, 2003
I’ve noticed alot of companies just want logos so do i really need illustrator ?

If you’re serious about logo creation, then yes, you do – at least a top-end vector program.

Case in point – the first time you have to fit text to a path (on a circle for example) you’ll want Illustrator.
L
LenHewitt
Aug 11, 2003
Jodi,

I’ve noticed alot of companies just want logos so do i really need
illustrator ? <<

YES!!!

The first requirement of any logo is that it can be used in a wide variety of environments and sizes. Only vector artwork will do this. Think how many places/situations a logo might be required, from office stationery, to websites, to exhibition panels to possible large hoarding posters.

It could be required in just Black & White (say for recruitment ad in local press) or full colour for the Annual Report.

The by-word for Logo design is "flexibility" and you need a vector editor to meet that requirement.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
hmmmmmm, you’ve both introduced some very valid points. Perhaps I should look into this a little more carefully. I’m headed to Amazon to check pricing. Thanks.
C
Cheesefood
Aug 11, 2003
Jodi,

First off, let me say I’m a big fan of your work on the Challenge pages. I think your techniques are eye-delicious (to paraphrase Neil Sedaka.)

As for your question about the learning curve with AI, I have this to offer:

I started using AI a few months ago, and I found that it’s not very difficult to learn if you know the Graphic Design basics. Not to say that it’s an easy program, but it’s not as difficult as I expected it to be. I think that PS is more technical and requires more time to master than AI. Just my opinion, and realize that I don’t use AI to it’s fullest potential.

And having practiced a lot with AI, it was a breeze for me to figure out InDesign when my department purchased a copy for me.

Another good thing about using AI is that I quickly increased my mastery of the Pen tool in PS.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
Cheesefood, thanks ! Checked out Amazon and found a couple with good prices ( private sellers ) Although i am concerned with these kinds pf purchases as I have no intention of wanting to purchase pirated versions of the program. They all claim ‘new’,’sealed’ BUT " no box "…this does not make sense to me. If you have a new version of illustrator that you have never used then where’s the box ???? Why would you sell so cheap if you bought it new and why would you sell it without even opening it or trying it ???? I want to be able to register my products or be able to download patches.
C
Cheesefood
Aug 11, 2003
There’s a website that sells Adobe and Microsoft products for $49.95, and yes they are definitely pirated copies. They arrive as a CD-R with no label, no manuals, nothing but a chit of paper with a registration number on it.

Do not buy anything that looks shady.

I would make sure that original manuals are included, that the Serial Number is unique and the product can be registered. And ask them why there’s no box. If their answer seems shady, alert Adobe and Amazon.

The only situation I can think of would be if a company bought 10 copies of AI for their employees, and the IT guy installing them used the same disc on all computers. Maybe some employee walked out with the un-opened discs, which would be easier to conceal than the boxes.

But even in that case, the serial numbers would already be used by the legitimate buyer.

Who knows.

I guess the decision to purchase should rely upon how soon you can recover the cost of the product. Do you have clients waiting for you to get AI? I wouldn’t purchase anything until I knew I would recover the cost of the purchase.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 11, 2003
Cheesefood, thanks for that info. I know about that website and wondered how they get away with it. It’s pathetic. Anyways, head gasket went in my car so no money to play with at the moment. Freakin car ! grrrrrr

It would be nice to see your name again back under the weekly challenge images…if ya got time 😉
C
Cheesefood
Aug 12, 2003
Thanks Jodi.

I’ve been out of the challenges for a while for a very good reason: I’m getting married this weekend, and my computer has been hikacked by my Excel-loving fiance as she makes her to-do lists, her invitations list, etc.

Next week is the honeymoon (Antigua, here we come!) where I plan on taking roughly 200 pictures. I may have to buy a fifth SmartMedia card. Stupid 128mb limit on those cards.

After I become a married man, I’ll put more time and effort back to the challenges.
JF
Jodi Frye
Aug 12, 2003
Cheesefood,

Congradulations! <http://www.mybizz.net/l/w/lwsfrye/congrats.jpg>
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 12, 2003
thats it for life now dude, Im 3 years into mine, dont beleive what any one says, if she the right wonam for you, your going to spend the rest of your lives together happy, well atleast I hope you do, good luck old boy.
C
Cheesefood
Aug 12, 2003
Not to turn this into a mushy marriage thread, but I know she’s the right one because she calls me a perv and a pig, but still loves me for who I am.

And if you think I say some off-the-wall stuff here, you’ve never heard me after 15 beers.

So, back to the Challenges. I’ll return to the Challenges just as soon as I return from my honeymoon. I might even have a couple of good shots to submit.

Maybe I’ll post up my wedding photo and see who does the best job of blacking out our teeth and putting a mustache and beard on us.

And no, they won’t be announcing us as "Mister and Misses Cheesefood".

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections