DC
Posted By
Douglas_Carver
Dec 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac Intel pro, 5 Gb RAM, 2 Tb. disk space, OS 10.4.8, PSD 9.0.2 printing to an old Apple LaserWriter Select 360 v2013.112, PostScript Version: (2013.112) 1

Everything works fine, but very slowly. Printer does a great job of printing MS Office Word text files, but very slow when printing larger PSD files. I need to print B&W text from PSD. a 1.5 Mb file takes about 10min. to process once it has reached the printer before the printing begins.

I need high resolution 300/600dpi output w/ drop shadow etc. The files are composed of layers of Smart Layer EPS graphics, PSD generated vector text and PSD shapes (circles). The files are 300 dpi greyscale and contain no photos or bit-map art.

I understand the difference between bit map & vector and I understand why it takes a long time for an old printer with little RAM to process a relatively large file.

MY QUESTION: Is there a better way for me to prepare/save my files to significantly expedite their printing? Flattening the files saves little space or time.

Thanks in advance!

Douglas

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bernie
Dec 19, 2006
I suspect rasterizing the layer effects may speed things up

With the style selected: Layer -> Layer Style -> Create Layer
SF
Scott_Falkner
Dec 19, 2006
need high resolution 300/600dpi output w/ drop shadow etc.

Which is it? 300 or 600 ppi? I suspect 600 is overkill.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 20, 2006
See if Saving As a Photoshop PDF speeds up your printing.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections